British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WalterPlinge

Cradley v Belle Vue - 3 June

No pe-match comments or predictions from the Heathens fans?

No post-match comments?

Not one Heathens fan available to provide live heat updates to the Speedway Updates site?

Has a year out from the NL killed off the Cradley following?    Has the enthusiasm waned?

I reckon the crowd has dropped by a good couple hundred, there was a time when it was said our crowd matched the Wolves but I'm not sure about that but there's no denying its dropped this season. I still enjoy supporting the lads home and away when I can get there but the National League standard has dropped but maybe it's more what it should be now but at £13 not really sure if everyone thinks it's value for money. I'l be at Mildenhall Sunday but there was no where near as many Heathens on our last visit. Saying all that there's still a fair few teams who would be happy with our level of support

• Like 1

I'm a poor judge of crowds to be honest, and where we stand doesn't give us a great view of the whole area either.  The crowd for the IOW cup match was down but with season tickets not included that may have had an effect - I don't know how many season ticket holders there are.

With regard to Monday's meeting I thought we were outgated pretty consistently (Clegg included although it was great to watch him pick his way through the traffic), Luke Harris had an off night for the first time this season and Lewis Whitmore looks really low on confidence.  Jack Smith will come good with more meetings around Monmore, although to ask anyone to fill Tom Brennan's shoes on that average is probably optimistic.  Dan Halsey is doing his job as third heat leader and has never looked particularly comfortable around Monmore in the past so a few more meetings should help - having said that there are only 5 home league meetings left!

Really impressed with Jordan Palin who seems to have a big future ahead of him. Our reserves are ticking along OK., enjoy watching Tom Spencer who isn't afraid to mix it and has a really unique style and Harry is picking up good steady points.

There is a consistent message from the promoters in their programme notes about the frailty of the future and they're happy to move over and let someone else take charge if land can be found etc.  I think the barbs on social media are having an effect and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a last hurrah, of course it always depends on available dates and the make up of the leagues anyway but you sense their enthusiasm is not what it once was.  

Mark Robinson claimed last night on the speedway tavern there were 668 fans there in total. 

when i have been previously granted bumped up by a good Brummies following but i would say there would be around the 1200 mark .

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

6 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Mark Robinson claimed last night on the speedway tavern there were 668 fans there in total. 

when i have been previously granted bumped up by a good Brummies following but i would say there would be around the 1200 mark .

Been there for Mildenhall and BV and I reckon 600-650 is about right, not as many as before standing over close to 4th bend nor on 1st turn and noticably less cramped than it has been by starting gate.

That's still a good NL crowd and better than Brummies at the moment.

Programme notes are very illuminating and personally I think Mark Robinson is spot on in his well documented querying of the motives of Pearson and Patchett, who now seem to have thrown in the towel in terms of locating a new venue, yet have conveniently grabbed all the money from the Trust that was always there to help cover Planning and associated costs if they found a new track.

If the "one league" scenario happens and Wolves are in it, surely the death of the Heathens as won't be any Monmore dates and once they go another time, that'll be it.

15 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

No pe-match comments or predictions from the Heathens fans?

No post-match comments?

Not one Heathens fan available to provide live heat updates to the Speedway Updates site?

Has a year out from the NL killed off the Cradley following?    Has the enthusiasm waned?

I have to defend the Heathens here and point out that we had a texter and a reserve texter! The problem was that there was no updater. 

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

I have to defend the Heathens here and point out that we had a texter and a reserve texter! The problem was that there was no updater. 

Right.   That makes sense.   It did puzzle me that there wasn't anyone available to send texts when Cradley usually have a decent-size following.   Makes sense that it was an updater missing rather than a texter.

But still amazed that no one started a preview thread on here for what always looked like being a good close match.

7 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Right.   That makes sense.   It did puzzle me that there wasn't anyone available to send texts when Cradley usually have a decent-size following.   Makes sense that it was an updater missing rather than a texter.

But still amazed that no one started a preview thread on here for what always looked like being a good close match.

It was also on bbc radio wm live broadcast .great to listen to .

48 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Does seem that preview threads are on the decline across all teams although some have their own local centred facebook pages and happy clapping forums which they preview locally. 

Its a funny team that Cradley have built this year as they look to have enough at home but will often be run close and also look a side that will go close away without often getting a result. The days of dominance have passed perhaps as the club enthusiasm fades?

10 hours ago, MattJ81 said:

I'm a poor judge of crowds to be honest, and where we stand doesn't give us a great view of the whole area either.  The crowd for the IOW cup match was down but with season tickets not included that may have had an effect - I don't know how many season ticket holders there are.

With regard to Monday's meeting I thought we were outgated pretty consistently (Clegg included although it was great to watch him pick his way through the traffic), Luke Harris had an off night for the first time this season and Lewis Whitmore looks really low on confidence.  Jack Smith will come good with more meetings around Monmore, although to ask anyone to fill Tom Brennan's shoes on that average is probably optimistic.  Dan Halsey is doing his job as third heat leader and has never looked particularly comfortable around Monmore in the past so a few more meetings should help - having said that there are only 5 home league meetings left!

Really impressed with Jordan Palin who seems to have a big future ahead of him. Our reserves are ticking along OK., enjoy watching Tom Spencer who isn't afraid to mix it and has a really unique style and Harry is picking up good steady points.

There is a consistent message from the promoters in their programme notes about the frailty of the future and they're happy to move over and let someone else take charge if land can be found etc.  I think the barbs on social media are having an effect and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a last hurrah, of course it always depends on available dates and the make up of the leagues anyway but you sense their enthusiasm is not what it once was.  

Good sensible summary, but with regards P & P why don't they just move over now, I think there are almost as many stay away fans as regulars now for various reasons, not least amongst those are CH stagnating in the NL, which leaves many to question the motives behind the promotion continuing to stay on board when there are people rumoured to be willing to step in, remember the club were for sale a few years ago, then just as suddenly not for sale, imo this also contributed to the drop off in support, with regards finding land the outlook can be best described as bleak, both local authorities have paid lip service to helping find a new location, with the standard line being, we are open to the return of CH at any "suitable" new site, the important word being "suitable" and there is none deemed suitable by either council.

36 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

Good sensible summary, but with regards P & P why don't they just move over now, I think there are almost as many stay away fans as regulars now for various reasons, not least amongst those are CH stagnating in the NL, which leaves many to question the motives behind the promotion continuing to stay on board when there are people rumoured to be willing to step in, remember the club were for sale a few years ago, then just as suddenly not for sale, imo this also contributed to the drop off in support, with regards finding land the outlook can be best described as bleak, both local authorities have paid lip service to helping find a new location, with the standard line being, we are open to the return of CH at any "suitable" new site, the important word being "suitable" and there is none deemed suitable by either council.

Do these people who are prepared to step in include  Mark Robinson ? god help Cradley if it does , The current promotion have tried all the various avenues to find a new home and seem to have hit a brick wall named Dudley council at every step , Robinson  can't even hold a reasonable debate on FB without  making himself look a complete prat , let alone negotiate the heathens into a new home . just take a look at what, division has done to Coventry ,because somebody thinks they have all the answers . thats' what's likely for Cradley if the current promotion walks away ,

If robinson told me it was raining I would go outside to check.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pete cc said:

If robinson told me it was raining I would go outside to check.

Is Robinson that berk who used to dress as a foam hammer?

2 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Is Robinson that berk who used to dress as a foam hammer?

Yes he is and not just a foam hammer...