British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
George Dodds

Berwick v Edinburgh Saturday 15 June, 7pm

18 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I cannot applaud the promotion enough for this move and keep fingers crossed its a success. If Berwick can prove that Speedway in this country is sustainable as a £10 sport (which it is in its current guise) then hopefully many others will follow suit.

I understand diluting the standard again with the ridiculously low points limit but speedway at CL level at most clubs hasnt been a £10 sport this decade. Its currently £10 to watch BV Colts in the league below.

4 minutes ago, MD said:

I understand diluting the standard again with the ridiculously low points limit but speedway at CL level at most clubs hasnt been a £10 sport this decade. Its currently £10 to watch BV Colts in the league below.

The huge problem is that the only club in the land to offer £10 speedway is Belle Vue with their Colts side and that is subsidised. The complaint of diluting the product come thick and fast but is anything higher up worth the money? The superstars are keeping away for a multitude of reasons but even if teams were formed of GP riders added into the current top flight sides would numbers come flocking back and be prepared to pay £20+ a meeting? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The superstars are keeping away for a multitude of reasons but even if teams were formed of GP riders added into the current top flight sides would numbers come flocking back and be prepared to pay £20+ a meeting? 

No, I agree but to go back to the original point, speedway isnt a £10 sport at CL level and wont be again.

see you along with a lot more ihope on sat night for £10 a great price  the real price so lets get behind the lads and make it a great night  of speedway mmmmmmmmmmmvery nice

18 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I cannot applaud the promotion enough for this move and keep fingers crossed its a success. If Berwick can prove that Speedway in this country is sustainable as a £10 sport (which it is in its current guise) then hopefully many others will follow suit.

I applaud your optimism,  sadly I can think of at least 30 fans that I can say are 'DIE HARDS' will not be there as they will be at the GP in Prague

6 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

I applaud your optimism,  sadly I can think of at least 30 fans that I can say are 'DIE HARDS' will not be there as they will be at the GP in Prague

My big fear is that unless others follow suit and make Speedway an accessible affordable sport again many others will follow suit (myself included) and watch 1or 2 GP's abroad a season rather than attend club racing regularly. 

19 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

About 18 months ago, sombody was having hysterics about Lawrence Rogers, who reduced the entrance for Plymouth (NL) to £10 for a season. According to this person, the only effect was that the club lost loads of money. Still, I hope that it works at Berwick!

11 minutes ago, *JJ said:

About 18 months ago, sombody was having hysterics about Lawrence Rogers, who reduced the entrance for Plymouth (NL) to £10 for a season. According to this person, the only effect was that the club lost loads of money. Still, I hope that it works at Berwick!

Whilst not defending him Rogers may have proposed the reduction but the promotion as a whole chose to run with it. There have been plenty of reasons why the attendances have fluctuated for the Devon based club, if someone was able to produce accurate attendance data showing that the numbers did not rise or fall during that time period then clearly the club could have lost money (although knowing the budget at the start of the season should be preparing accordingly).

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

My big fear is that unless others follow suit and make Speedway an accessible affordable sport again many others will follow suit (myself included) and watch 1or 2 GP's abroad a season rather than attend club racing regularly. 

I have not been to speedway this season, I promise you it is not because of the price.  When you are filling your programme in on lap 1 bend 2, there is something seriously wrong,  it has become so easy to take it or leave it if there is something else to do.  I don't know how to put it right, or even if it is to late to put it right, I hope it survives, but while it is the fans fault for not supporting  speedway, as opposed the Promoters correcting their mistakes over a long period of time, I fear for it's future.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

I have not been to speedway this season, I promise you it is not because of the price.  When you are filling your programme in on lap 1 bend 2, there is something seriously wrong,  it has become so easy to take it or leave it if there is something else to do.  I don't know how to put it right, or even if it is to late to put it right, I hope it survives, but while it is the fans fault for not supporting  speedway, as opposed the Promoters correcting their mistakes over a long period of time, I fear for it's future.

Very difficult to argue with what you say there. Whilst there is constant bashing of "diluting the product" i feel the standard of riders on the track at the same time needs to be addressed. If all riders in a meeting had averages between 4 & 6/7 then the entertainment would be a lot higher than the current gulf between 2 & 10 pointers.

if Berwick fans do not wake up and get along on sat night I think the end of speedway will be soon so WAKE UP NOW mmmmmmmmm not nice

16 minutes ago, bjcol said:

if Berwick fans do not wake up and get along on sat night I think the end of speedway will be soon so WAKE UP NOW mmmmmmmmm not nice

It's not the fans fault Col, speedway itself has to change to bring back the fans, the product has to be enjoyable.  So stop blaming the fans, the sport has to earn the loyalty of the fan

• Thanks 1

I accept the point about value for money. This isn't - and cannot in fairness be - anything to do with who is/isn't to blame for anything which did/did not happen in the past. Today's promotion cannot be held accountable (and therefore shouldn't be impacted) for the perceived non effort by any previous management team. This is though all about the here and now full stop. It is about providing merited support your (Berwick's) CURRENT promotion, CURRENT support, CURRENT financial position and about the club's very future.

It's each individual's prerogative (at any club) as to whether they do / don't pay money to go and watch speedway and how often they do so.

Despite its imperfections (and which sport doesn't suffer from those?) surely to goodness speedway still earns our support? 

3 hours ago, bjcol said:

Says the person who has been AWOL for part of last season and all of this.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, crescent girl said:

Not just as clinical as that of -- the extra people, even if not quite "17-over-10" will buy programmes (handy profit in every copy) plus food and drink.    

Track shop sales will go up, and of course there is the intended bonus of lapsed and/or new customers liking their night out and coming back for more on future Saturdays.

While going down to £10 this week is a breathtakingly bold leap by the young promoters, it really has to be applauded and supported by everyone who really wants to see speedway continuing in Berwick. 

What now has to happen is that everyone "tells a friend" about the deal, highlights the thousands of posters and fliers around the borders and urges folk to takes the opportunity to come along, bring the kids and savour the occasion.

Get a buzz going around town and keep that buzz going on the night -- let's have some fun while we're enjoying the show!

PS:  Negative posters need not reply

No doubt you`ll be first in the queue with your £10.

• Haha 2