British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
George Dodds

Berwick v Edinburgh Saturday 15 June, 7pm

7 hours ago, ekimba said:

To my untrained eye the crowd size looked quite good, what do the locals say bigger crowd than normal ?

Without any doubt, bigger. 

14 hours ago, ekimba said:

To my untrained eye the crowd size looked quite good, what do the locals say bigger crowd than normal ?

A lot more cars than usual parked up, so I’d say a definite yes 

Not only was Saturday night a financial disaster for the club, but from some of the comments being made by the fans as they left the ground, a lot of them won't be back, so it was a kick in the teeth for their attempt to win new fans. 

A lot of new fans seem to find it difficult to comprehend that the likes of football and rugby can be played in the rain, even Formula One and other forms of motor bike racing can be done in the rain. Speedway? Nope.

Credit to the promotion for trying to attract new fans and the crowd was a bit bigger than usual on Saturday night. Enough to cover the price reduction? Who knows. But all the good work is now up in smoke and it is going to be harder than ever to try and convince them to come back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

Not only was Saturday night a financial disaster for the club, but from some of the comments being made by the fans as they left the ground, a lot of them won't be back, so it was a kick in the teeth for their attempt to win new fans. 

A lot of new fans seem to find it difficult to comprehend that the likes of football and rugby can be played in the rain, even Formula One and other forms of motor bike racing can be done in the rain. Speedway? Nope.

Credit to the promotion for trying to attract new fans and the crowd was a bit bigger than usual on Saturday night. Enough to cover the price reduction? Who knows. But all the good work is now up in smoke and it is going to be harder than ever to try and convince them to come back. 

It might be worth noting, if that meeting was held on the Continent, it would have been on, with that amount of rain.  Unfortunately UK has got to the stage where 'LOOK THERE'S A SPOt IN THE SKY'  cancel the meeting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balderdash&piffle said:

It might be worth noting, if that meeting was held on the Continent, it would have been on, with that amount of rain.  Unfortunately UK has got to the stage where 'LOOK THERE'S A SPOt IN THE SKY'  cancel the meeting.

while I don't entirely disagree with you - and remember Edinburgh didn't want to ride at Armadale last year after a bit of rain - wasn't the whole Swedish fixture list washed out last Tuesday? Also I went to Ullevi a couple of times in the 80s and watched World Finals which went ahead but were farcical.

As I wasn't there last Saturday I can't comment or judge on track conditions from last Saturday, but what is beyond argument is that meetings are either called off or abandoned far quicker now than in years gone by. Maybe it's the tracks that can no longer hold water, maybe it's the amount of dirt, or lack of, maybe it's the bikes, maybe is a bit of everything, but nowadays people simply don't bother making the effort in going when there is rain around.

37 minutes ago, screm said:

As I wasn't there last Saturday I can't comment or judge on track conditions from last Saturday, but what is beyond argument is that meetings are either called off or abandoned far quicker now than in years gone by. Maybe it's the tracks that can no longer hold water, maybe it's the amount of dirt, or lack of, maybe it's the bikes, maybe is a bit of everything, but nowadays people simply don't bother making the effort in going when there is rain around.

Have to agree.

1 hour ago, George Dodds said:

while I don't entirely disagree with you - and remember Edinburgh didn't want to ride at Armadale last year after a bit of rain - wasn't the whole Swedish fixture list washed out last Tuesday? Also I went to Ullevi a couple of times in the 80s and watched World Finals which went ahead but were farcical.

I think I implied, it does seem to be a British problem.  

1 hour ago, George Dodds said:

"Just one match next week- was originally a blank week for rain- offs but Vetlanda v Dackarna has been brought forward to Thursday 13th which is live on Freesports at 6pm. Team line-ups will be known on Tuesday evening."

Opole Vs Krakow was off yesterday, glorious sunshine in Poland as well. Probably a back story but couldn't translate sportowefakty

Saturday certainly wasn't called off early but, as Topsoil says, some are using that as a reason not to come back again. Saturday was, by Berwick standards, a glorious day until 5pm when rain clouds gathered. Even then it was generally squally showers until just before start time. If anyone is at a loose end then have a look at an excellent site called Speedway Researcher and under Special Features they have a statistical breakdown of rain-offs covering 1946-2010. Of 56,640 British meetings raced in that period 7.2% were rained off. The breakdown also backs up what B&P suggests in that there is a markedly higher percentage of rain-offs in "modern" times". 

Most fans know the riders don’t want to know if there is any rain in the air, can’t blame fans for giving it a miss these days.Health and Safety rules.Except if it is a “Open meeting”  or Testimonial and might not get re-run.

can I use my rained  off  ticket this week  or wait till Edinburgh return mmmmmmmm

49 minutes ago, bjcol said:

can I use my rained  off  ticket this week  or wait till Edinburgh return mmmmmmmm

You will have to wait till return match as you won’t have any money to make up the difference in admission for Leicester match;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

You will have to wait till return match as you won’t have any money to make up the difference in admission for Leicester match;)

when did they changethat rule when there was a rained off match u could use the ticket for any of the next 3 meetings mmmmmmmmmm

2 minutes ago, bjcol said:

when did they changethat rule when there was a rained off match u could use the ticket for any of the next 3 meetings mmmmmmmmmm

Rule was changed when it was realised you'd stay away until the re-run at least.