British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Eastbourne v Newcastle 8/6/19

14 hours ago, HGould said:

I was going to go to Leicester tonight but pouring in the Midlands and no respite due until late afternoon; I need a speedway fix so a trip down to Arlington I think and an unexpected chance to spend tomorrow with my brother in Folkestone.

Weather looks fine down South - should be a decent meeting.

That was a very enjoyable meeting especially as I got to see speedway with my brother who is no longer the regular he used to be.

He'd not been to Arlington since the Elite days there and was very impressed as was I with the whole show.

Some decent racing on a well prepared track, plenty of passing with Kennett and Lawson especially impressive. Bukhave deserved more points for Diamonds and looks worth persevering with.

The announcer and meeting presentation there is top notch and I was told by locals the Cardiff GP guy Kevin Coombes. Parade at 7.25 sharp and first race at 7.30, some over fussy referring and a few falls delayed things but no tractor races and they go on with it pretty well.

A big crowd by modern standards it looked like  as big if not bigger than their Elite days my brother reckoned; and on a par with crowds there when I've been with brummies this season especially after the rain and it was cold. Decent grub and the only minor quibble is the 1950's toilets but you can't have everything.

The best thing there though is their Community work, looked like 100 + kids there tonight being shown round and then having pictures taken before the meeting, mascots. which I had not seen in earlier visits and the impression this is a Club that is grasping the Championship and trying to make speedway popular and accessible to new fans. 

Well done to the promotion there and lessons others could learn.

"We'll be back"

• Like 5

Great win for the Eagles tonight - agree totally with HGould - the club seem to be doing sterling work in introducing youngsters to the sport and getting them engaged - some great work going on there and the community team are surely worth their weight in gold - the kiddies look to be having a great time with smiles all round - team doing well certainly at home, maybe need to up their game away from home but to be truthful there are no easy matches away in this league - hearing rumours of possible changes and likely candidates but not sure if those I’ve heard would fit the bill - time will inevitably tell but I’ll be cheering them on come what may

Great too to have Kevin Coombes back on the microphone tonight - missed him over the last few matches - the man is quality and the whole product and experience steps up a notch or three when he is presenting

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jenga said:

what , and let people like you think you have beaten me . give over , its a forum and even fans with no clubs are  putting input into  a forum like this . good or bad ! 

Sadly, you seem to find the bad far too often. Try and find some good.

• Like 1

my posts are a mixture  of both , good and bad . . try looking fora good  one and leave some good feedback for me . 

its easy to blast anyone that does not conform to your style of posting or replies  . 

but we will have to agree to disagree for now .

Mmm H Gould you might have tempted me to donate some hard earned cash into JCooks retirement fund and visit Arlington again . Needs to be some decent opposition to interest me - as I will support the away team . Leicester Lions seem to be able to ride the track reasonably well maybe the end of the month fixture. 

Think the odd results were the 2 loses earlier on to Leicester and Glasgow, the team seem to have got used to the track now, think we'll beat Leicester this time round, probably not enough to win overall, but glad we have the first leg first , should be 15 cracking heats.

Off topic directly, but relevant to the last 2 posts - yes, it should be a great meeting against Leicester, just a shame it’s on a Sunday afternoon. Most if us know speedway is so much better in the evening under floodlights.

Edited by woofers
  • Like 1

Oh dear Wooffers thanks for the heads up on the Sunday Afternoon staging  :(  Shame .  

Wont go to that then - be a dustbowl.  Still I expect they will get a good crowd of youngsters along ...... 

Very interesting comments in last nights programme regarding the financial situation at Eastbourne. The outgoings are huge compared to NL racing. It's obvious the big home wins are not helping when it comes to paying out the points money. Who'd be a speedway promoter!

12 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Very interesting comments in last nights programme regarding the financial situation at Eastbourne. The outgoings are huge compared to NL racing. It's obvious the big home wins are not helping when it comes to paying out the points money. Who'd be a speedway promoter!

I didn't read it that way at all.

Its pretty obvious CL costs a lot more than NL and the explanation was very transparent.

I read it that they are doing very well thank you but were not prepared to throw it away by staging a meeting that they knew would lose them a fortune.

I'm not sure how losing 2 matches at home and only winning 1 away stacks with you theory as away points are paid at just the same rate as home and most clubs work on the basis of having to pay 100 points in a home and away completion?

2 hours ago, woofers said:

Off topic directly, but relevant to the last 2 posts - yes, it should be a great meeting against Leicester, just a shame it’s on a Sunday afternoon. Most if us know speedway is so much better in the evening under floodlights.

Two Saturday tracks with no free fixtures before the Cut Off Date so Eastbourne go to default back up day and Leicester who have added problem of running 2 sides go to a very strange Friday night?

1 minute ago, HGould said:

I didn't read it that way at all.

Its pretty obvious CL costs a lot more than NL and the explanation was very transparent.

I read it that they are doing very well thank you but were not prepared to throw it away by staging a meeting that they knew would lose them a fortune.

I'm not sure how losing 2 matches at home and only winning 1 away stacks with you theory as away points are paid at just the same rate as home and most clubs work on the basis of having to pay 100 points in a home and away completion?

I'm not really bothered what you think, i was just making an observation on what was written in the programme.

H Gould thanks for stating the reason for the staging of Eastbourne's Leicester fixture on their alternate race time.  

My opinion stands regarding daytime fixures in the UK.  Never seen a good meeting in the daytime in the UK. No one seems to be able to get enough moisture into the track material and the atmosphere is never the same in the daytime.  Leicester's Friday night sounds a better deal. Why Eastbourne didnt go for a Sunday Evening ?

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

H Gould thanks for stating the reason for the staging of Eastbourne's Leicester fixture on their alternate race time.  

My opinion stands regarding daytime fixures in the UK.  Never seen a good meeting in the daytime in the UK. No one seems to be able to get enough moisture into the track material and the atmosphere is never the same in the daytime.  Leicester's Friday night sounds a better deal. Why Eastbourne didnt go for a Sunday Evening ?

work and school monday morning ?