British Speedway Forum
moxey63

Tommy Knudsen Auction

I must admit feeling a little frustrated, finding out Tommy Knudsen's racing gear (which he kindly donated to the Speedway Riders' Fund) is being auctioned off to a small gathering in Coventry next week when, ideally, it should have been offered to a wider audience and, in the process, increasing proceeds from it. eBay is the first port of call.

As it is, I can see some unscrupulous dealer getting their hands on items and they themselves making maximum profit by putting it, for example, on the aforementioned auction site. 

I know this post is going to attract criticism of me. But, Tommy's superb act of generosity, I fear, isn't going to reap maximum potential.

I hope I am wrong.

If it was a time thing, I for one would have volunteered to do the ebay selling for the fund.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

I hadn't read anything about this before now, bit if what you say is true I also find it a little surprising and disappointing.

You would think that they would be looking to get the most money possible and limiting the potential buyers would seem to go against that aim. 

I guess it's possible they have done their research and believe that doing it this way will bring the most but I'm not convinced!

52 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I must admit feeling a little frustrated, finding out Tommy Knudsen's racing gear (which he kindly donated to the Speedway Riders' Fund) is being auctioned off to a small gathering in Coventry next week when, ideally, it should have been offered to a wider audience and, in the process, increasing proceeds from it. eBay is the first port of call.

As it is, I can see some unscrupulous dealer getting their hands on items and they themselves making maximum profit by putting it, for example, on the aforementioned auction site. 

I know this post is going to attract criticism of me. But, Tommy's superb act of generousness, I fear, isn't going to reap maximum potential.

I hope I am wrong.

If it was a time thing, I for one would have volunteered to do the ebay selling for the fund.

9 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I hadn't read anything about this before now, bit if what you say is true I also find it a little surprising and disappointing.

You would think that they would be looking to get the most money possible and limiting the potential buyers would seem to go against that aim. 

I guess it's possible they have done their research and believe that doing it this way will bring the most but I'm not convinced!

Perhaps asking Nick Barber to auction them at Cardiff?

For those who can make it, the auction is this Thursday (8 pm), June 13 @ NUNEATON SPEEDWAY SUPPORTERS' CLUB, BRANDON CLUB, MAIN STREET, BRANDON, COVENTRY, CV8 3HW

The club states it isn't an auctioneer and doesn't have electronic facilities and therefore is only open to attendees on the night. They add that anyone who can't make it, ask someone on their behalf whose attending to make a bid. 

Former riders Joe Owen, Lawrence Hare and Bruce Cribb will be in attendance.

Edited by moxey63

Great gesture from Tommy, surely the thing to do would put a sensible reserve on all items.

Any item not making the reserve then place it on evil-bay............ 

The items look far too good to be sold off line. Ebay charge a 10% sellers commission compared to 20% for buyers and sellers on auction sites like the saleroom. Ebay has a worldwide audience to maximize funds for any good causes.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure telephone bids would be accepted, 

This  may help you get more information

• Like 1

Some really unique items up for auction on Thursday!

Lot 12 is Tommy's No 5 racejacket from 1979.

He would have worn this on October 13, when Coventry Bees beat Hull Vikings by 42-36 to clinch the British League championship in front of 20,000 spectators.

Tommy beat World Champion Ivan Mauger in Heat 9 on that huge evening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Some really unique items up for auction on Thursday!

Lot 12 is Tommy's No 5 racejacket from 1979.

He would have worn this on October 13, when Coventry Bees beat Hull Vikings by 42-36 to clinch the British League championship in front of 20,000 spectators.

Tommy beat World Champion Ivan Mauger in Heat 9 on that huge evening.

I was there and although it was the league decider Hull were up against it and had lost it earlier in the season due to the unprofessionalism of certain riders.

• Like 1

This does seem a very naive way of auctioning off potentially valuable items, which would certainly have raised more money if put to a worldwide audience  (very easy to do in this internet age).

But if it's true that  " They add that anyone who can't make it, ask someone on their behalf whose attending to make a bid. "  then surely anyone can contact the auctioneer and instruct him to make bids on their behalf up to a set amount.  

A cynical person might think that the people organising this auction are purposely restricting the audience to try to increase their chances of snaffling the goodies for themselves on the cheap.

If they refuse to accept advance bids via the auctioneer, then you know something underhand is going on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Advance bids are allowed, but there's no guarantee that someone there on the night won't outbid it.

That's fair enough as long as people are allowed to place an advanced bid up to their own maximum limit.

(Still would have been better to do it online too)

• Like 1