British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GAH

Belle vue v Peterboro 13th june thursday

58 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Mike i don't what is happening at most clubs but my club Swindon with Lee Kilby on board progress is being made.The other week one of the bars was packed with potential  sponsors also our club is doing a lot to encourage youngsters (i.e.) going in the pits meeting there heroes the riders.Lee Kilby i would say is in the Barry Bishop mould he has seen the good old days (i.e.with his great dad) but he is innovative and his greatest strength is his people  skills.He is  always willing to speak and listen and we need a lot more of these people in Speedway for the sport to move on.

I agree Sid. The days of the 'if you don't like it, don't come' promoters are coming to an end. It has to for the sport to have any chance of survival.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mikebv said:

HT

The Play Offs allow you to cherry pick ringers, and swap them at half time, so all matches leading up to them are therefore completely devoid of relevance.

If those who run the sport have such scant regard for their own flagship competition then why go and attend the qualifiers?

£25 for an Adult and a 16 year old to watch 15 mins of action isn't VFM. (And doing it during GCSE week means even less chance of going)..

Football has a 'brand' and a following, Speedway has neither. So can charge what they want until that price elasticity snaps..

What you might see as 'ok', HT, many, many more thousands who have left the sport, don't..

And, with all due respect, it is those people who need to listened to, far more, than those who still attend..

How can the matches before hand be 'devoid of relevance'  ? If you lose them all you can't get in the play offs !!

I ask again. Do you think Leeds United fans believe that their season was 'devoid of relevance' ? 

Teams can't be changed for the play offs now. 

£29 at Halifax Town for an adult and a 16 year old. Not sure how many minutes you get, but it isn't 90. You cannot simply say something isn't value for money without comparing it to the other options. 

Personally speaking, I'd far sooner listen to the needs of my existing customers in the hope of hanging onto them and attracting new ones rather than trying to get those who have left back. Most of the latter, it seems to me, do nothing other than slag speedway off. They very rarely actually highlight any of the reasons for going, simply reasons why you shouldn't and that is overwhelmingly evidenced on the pages of this forum. 

Speedway isn't OK, that's quite clear. But I don't believe its problems will be solved by cutting prices (to precisely what remains to be seen but unquestionably involves a massive financial risk), changing to an unidentified race night and getting rid of the play offs (the meetings which attract by far and away the biggest club attendances during the season).

A few years ago, Belle Vue did a special £10 entry. The first week the crowd was much improved. The second week it was down a bit, the third week back to normal. Result : huge loss.

To me, the answer lies far more in progressive, hugely customer focussed promotion of the kind undertaken by the Isle of Wight, improving the actual product and, indeed, reforming the governance of the sport. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

15 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I agree Sid. The days of the 'if you don't like it, don't come' promoters are coming to an end. It has to for the sport to have any chance of survival.

Unfortunately they still exist but they are - most definitely - on the way out.

They are, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the main reasons why the sport is on its knees. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Peterborough’s crowds should be huge then...

Kings Lynn would have worked better. 

Only The Aces have ridden more home meetings than Peterborough. 

Edited by ouch

9 minutes ago, ouch said:

Kings Lynn would have worked better. 

Only The Aces have ridden more home meetings than Peterborough. 

Have you seen Panthers’ forthcoming fixtures......?

8 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Have you seen Panthers’ forthcoming fixtures......?

Just had a look, one a week for the next five weeks. 

39 minutes ago, ouch said:

But after their performance last night how many fans will pay to watch them.  

As far as value for money goes, two adults can go watch Częstochowa for less than £15.  35zł a ticket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The days of the 'if you don't like it, don't come' promoters are coming to an end. It has to for the sport to have any chance of survival.

Sadly though, two of the main proponents of this attitude are the Chairperson and his Vice Chair of the BSPA. Ooops! Another fine mess they got us into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouch said:

One fixture in June, three in two weeks at the beginning of July, then 2nd September ( unless you have a different fixture list to me....)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Sadly though, two of the main proponents of this attitude are the Chairperson and his Vice Chair of the BSPA. Ooops! Another fine mess they got us into.

Agreed. They are a disgrace and have irreparably damaged the sport and should be booted out...will that happen...NO. 

It is a testament to the track staff and more particularly to Morton and Gordon for their track design and specifications, that the meeting went ahead on time and produced some good close racing. Not up to the usual standard but the poor opposition was a major reason for that. The race times were what we typically see.

It was a poor crowd but sadly, predictably so, with the weather and maybe also because it was the third home meeting we've had against Peterborough out of the 8 home team meetings we have had. 

When will fans understand that the NSS can cope with lots of rain providing it stops an hour or so before the meeting and keeps away during it. The forecast I use correctly indicated that the rain would stop before start time and then stay away. It was therefore disappointing to see the comments on social media from the doom and gloom merchants. Do they realise the harm they do? These people need to realise just how well the NSS copes with rain and that the management have a good record of making the right call off decisions.

Edited by Aces51

5 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

It is a testament to the track staff and more particularly to Morton and Gordon for their track design and specifications, that the meeting went ahead on time and produced some good close racing. Not up to the usual standard but the poor opposition was a major reason for that. The race times were what we typically see.

It was a poor crowd but sadly, predictably so, with the weather and maybe also because it was the third home meeting we've had against Peterborough out of the 8 home team meetings we have had. 

When will fans understand that the NSS can cope with lots of rain providing it stops an hour or so before the meeting and keeps away during it. The forecast I use correctly indicated that the rain would stop before start time and then stay away. It was therefore disappointing to see the comments on social media from the doom and gloom merchants. Do they realise the harm they do? These people need to realise just how well the NSS copes with rain and that the management have a good record of making the right call off decisions.

The problem is once bitten twice shy. The refund policy in the event for UK speedway is appalling and why should any paying customers risk their hard earned cash on a potentially curtailed or substandard meeting. 

The fixture planning though is truely dreadful as 3 out of 8 meetings against the same opposition is not on especially when that opposition hasn't put up a meaningful fight in any of those matches. When the happy clappers stay away and the sensible ones also it only leaves the blinkered die hards and clubs won't last long with those numbers turning up.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Col said:

As far as value for money goes, two adults can go watch Częstochowa for less than £15.  35zł a ticket.

Exactly and we all know how well they pay riders in Poland so its clearly part of the model that supports it (cheap but lots or them) however dreams of getting UK crowds to those numbers is fantasy.   

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The problem is once bitten twice shy. The refund policy in the event for UK speedway is appalling and why should any paying customers risk their hard earned cash on a potentially curtailed or substandard meeting. 

The fixture planning though is truely dreadful as 3 out of 8 meetings against the same opposition is not on especially when that opposition hasn't put up a meaningful fight in any of those matches. When the happy clappers stay away and the sensible ones also it only leaves the blinkered die hards and clubs won't last long with those numbers turning up.

I can’t recall that ever happening at the NSS. I think once we had a rain off during the meeting. BV is a different entity and shouldn’t be put into the same bracket as others. It stands the rain, everyone knows that, and this promotion have an excellent record when it comes to making the right choices vs weather