British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GAH

Belle vue v Peterboro 13th june thursday

Poland dont need its fans though, they have enough corporate sponsorship, local council backing and media sponsorship to run in empty stadiums and still pay riders the big money.

The UK cannot do that and maybe the price has to drop, regarding the running costs for riders, if they calculate their own running costs for the season and cant generate enough personal sponsorship to cover his costs that way then there is no sympathy from me when I read Rider X has to earn X amount of money per meeting to earn a professional living, the sport owes no rider a living and the sport in the UK is not a professional sport.

Riders then double up increasing their costs, if a rider can secure sponsorship doubling up but could maybe generate the same sponsorship and not double up surely they are in a better position.

The sport needs to die before it can be reborn potentially with 10-12 clubs in some form of semi pro league and the rest amateur meetings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

If a club races Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday then nothing for four weeks - that’s an average of once a week too.....

Think you’re missing the point

I get the point when using your made up scenario but the reality of the situation using calendar week numbers is.....

Week 25 =2

Week 26 = 0

Week 27 = 1

Week 28 = 1

Week 29 = 1

You are correct about me missing your point as I haven’t a clue where you’re going with this or what you’re on about and for that I apologise. 

5 minutes ago, ouch said:

I get the point when using your made up scenario but the reality of the situation using calendar week numbers is.....

Week 25 =2

Week 26 = 0

Week 27 = 1

Week 28 = 1

Week 29 = 1

You are correct about me missing your point as I haven’t a clue where you’re going with this or what you’re on about and for that I apologise. 

From week 30 onwards?

going back to last nights attendance, a fair few fans travel from outside the M/cr boundary, the weather has been atrocious for much of June up to now, so those traveling fans have every right to say,sod it I'm not chancing going in case it's called of before the meeting starts. OK the match did go on and my bet is that the vast majority of last night s crowd are from within the M/cr boundary. Just my opinion, but I'll wager I'm not far wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

From week 30 onwards?

Nothing ‘till September (week 36). 

Still not with you, sorry. 

6 minutes ago, hyderd said:

going back to last nights attendance, a fair few fans travel from outside the M/cr boundary, the weather has been atrocious for much of June up to now, so those traveling fans have every right to say,sod it I'm not chancing going in case it's called of before the meeting starts. OK the match did go on and my bet is that the vast majority of last night s crowd are from within the M/cr boundary. Just my opinion, but I'll wager I'm not far wrong.

I think that’s a fair assessment 

15 minutes ago, hyderd said:

Not true from my point. I live in Northwich.

I just use my common sense. I know from previous experiences that this track will take rain, and lots of it.

It was always going to be on as long as the forecast didn’t change 

12 minutes ago, ouch said:

Nothing ‘till September (week 36). 

Still not with you, sorry. 

Panthers have no home meetings for six weeks, so by your logic the crowd should be huge for the September meeting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Ball park enough figures but don't forget those running costs apply just the same to a GP rider as they do a development league rider. Adding all the above running costs up over 6 meetings is circa £1200. Thats £200 per meeting. At lower NL level paying £20 per point a rider needs to score paid ten to break even. As you slide up through the leagues you can see those who earn a good living out of it (and see the dedication of those who run at a loss in the lower leagues whilst trying to make their breakthrough) . 

I know. The GP boys probably pay a lot more on all engine related things, but they earn enough to do that. Like you say, its the lower end of rider that the prices make it very hard for them.

3 hours ago, acef said:

It’s not cheap is it? A rider in the top league over here once said to me he needs to be earning £600 a meeting to meet costs and to live his normal life

With the amount of meetings we have over here, I would say that's a bare minimum.

8 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

How can the matches before hand be 'devoid of relevance'  ? If you lose them all you can't get in the play offs !!

I ask again. Do you think Leeds United fans believe that their season was 'devoid of relevance' ? 

Teams can't be changed for the play offs now. 

£29 at Halifax Town for an adult and a 16 year old. Not sure how many minutes you get, but it isn't 90. You cannot simply say something isn't value for money without comparing it to the other options. 

Personally speaking, I'd far sooner listen to the needs of my existing customers in the hope of hanging onto them and attracting new ones rather than trying to get those who have left back. Most of the latter, it seems to me, do nothing other than slag speedway off. They very rarely actually highlight any of the reasons for going, simply reasons why you shouldn't and that is overwhelmingly evidenced on the pages of this forum. 

Speedway isn't OK, that's quite clear. But I don't believe its problems will be solved by cutting prices (to precisely what remains to be seen but unquestionably involves a massive financial risk), changing to an unidentified race night and getting rid of the play offs (the meetings which attract by far and away the biggest club attendances during the season).

A few years ago, Belle Vue did a special £10 entry. The first week the crowd was much improved. The second week it was down a bit, the third week back to normal. Result : huge loss.

To me, the answer lies far more in progressive, hugely customer focussed promotion of the kind undertaken by the Isle of Wight, improving the actual product and, indeed, reforming the governance of the sport. 

To use your Leeds anology...

100% their season would be devoid of relevance if when they got to a play off final, they and their opponent share two random competitors from another club that hasn't qualified, and then are allowed to swap them round at half time....

The whole EFL league would be rendered a farce from the very outset of the season if they made up those rules..

Hence it wouldn't be allowed to happen as TV and sponsors would simply walk away..

But Speedway initially signed this off as acceptable last year..

For its Flagship Competition..

And it was then regarded, after sense prevailed, that two ringers only riding for the same team over two legs was actually 'much better' and a positive..:D

Bottom line is Speedway is circa 15 mins of action and one hour fourty five of often nothing, or at best some well meaning amateur trying to do their best to create some atmosphere..

Miles away from what a proper two hours worth of entertainment package should be..

I have attended Supercross in Mcr. Paid £70 for me and the lad. Four hours in the building, probably 2 hours of racing...

And 2 hours of a parade, interviews, photo opportunities, colour, lights, music, competitions, fanzones etc etc etc

And guess what? £70 was value for money. 

As previously answered, Halifax can do what they want re pricing (as all businesses can), they charge what they can get away with and by and large seem to have decent crowds which validates their pricing structure..

They also have 'brand recognition' in the town which means their customers know them and what they do..

Speedway in many towns has none of this..

And as someone who runs a business, those people who used to shop with me will provide me with far more useful information on what I need to do to get them back than the feedback I get from those who do shop with me...

My current customer by using me validates my operating model and business plan by the very fact they shop with me..

To grow my business I need to recieve feedback from those who don't and fix their reasons for their non patronage..

And as for £10 entry?

If nothing is done on the night to ensure that this was an investment to further growth, eg engagement of the fans, more offers targeted to them, email addresses taken, mobile numbers taken, 2 hours of real entertainment etc etc..

Then the crowd will go back to normal the next week..

Any £10 offer should be the start of a joined up, well thought out, short, medium and long term marketing plan...

Not THE marketing plan..

Edited by mikebv

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

People don't want to watch speedway full stop, regardless of who's riding.

So you think the crowds will be the same if the GP riders were replaced by Nl riders at  Cardiff … Speedway fans are like no other really when it comes to simple logic . Cardiff shows if the product is right people will watch speedway .

Edited by orion

2 hours ago, hyderd said:

I travelled for an hour to reach the stadium but only because I had bought tickets online well in advance.  If I hadn`t got the tickets I would not have gone because I would have expected it to be off.   Petrol money comes into the equation as well.   I thought the meeting was a very poor advert for the sport.  It did go ahead but the track was sodden

10 minutes ago, orion said:

So you think the crowds will be the same if the GP riders were replaced by Nl riders at  Cardiff … Speedway fans are like no other really when it comes to simple logic . Cardiff shows if the product is right people will watch speedway .

It's a once a year product though. I know people who go to Cardiff but never go to any league meetings...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, orion said:

Makes you wonder why BSI don’t put the east stand back up at the NSS and run a GP there every week. Licence to print money.