British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GAH

Belle vue v Peterboro 13th june thursday

Just my opinion but I watch Swedish speedway every week on TV with most of the biggest stars in speedway and the racing is not a patch on what I see at the NSS every meeting with so called lesser riders.So what's the answer folks big names do not guarantee better racing in most cases its down to the track and if the racing at the NSS in a fine new stadium does not pull in the crowed what will. I fear that speedway has had its day in this country and cannot compete with all the other leisure activities that are out there these days.Todays generation just do not seem have an interest in it so for my own sanity I have decided to stop fretting and just attend and enjoy every meeting at the NSS while it lasts its all I can do..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, orion said:

Well you keep replying so quite clearly you do ...Not a question if I am happy or not as  I still go ..it's the all fans that have left because of poor teams that we should be worried about

I will continue to support it, wether it's an amateur meeting at Iwade or a top flight match at the NSS. Maybe a super league could be tried once a month featuring all the top riders, but who would have the balls to finance it, probably not the present incumbents running the sport.

2 hours ago, orion said:

Well you keep replying so quite clearly you do ...Not a question if I am happy or not as  I still go ..it's the all fans that have left because of poor teams that we should be worried about

We need more than just the ones who've left because of poor teams back because, in my experience, they won't make much difference. With no particular team to call my own to support I've been watching my speedway wherever took my fancy and met several people around the country I chatted to at their tracks. Many have stopped going and not one of them has cited 'poor teams' as their reason for packing up going to speedway. I don't doubt some have stopped going for that reason, but, as I posted, I don't know of any.

2 hours ago, B.V 72 said:

Just my opinion but I watch Swedish speedway every week on TV with most of the biggest stars in speedway and the racing is not a patch on what I see at the NSS every meeting with so called lesser riders.So what's the answer folks big names do not guarantee better racing in most cases its down to the track and if the racing at the NSS in a fine new stadium does not pull in the crowed what will. I fear that speedway has had its day in this country and cannot compete with all the other leisure activities that are out there these days.Todays generation just do not seem have an interest in it so for my own sanity I have decided to stop fretting and just attend and enjoy every meeting at the NSS while it lasts its all I can do..

For me, re the Aces, it's definitely the night they run...

Mort and DG's whole business plan was based on Saturdays, and Fridays when a GP was on..

And wasn't the average around 1800 with several tipping over 2000?

Maybe time to bite the bullet for the Aces and go down a division (if it actually is that in Speedway:rolleyes:), and run against more 'local' teams on a weekend...

Let's face it, most of the riders on show for them and their opponents will be many of the ones currently appearing on Mondays and Thursdays now anyway..

The nights they run really do seem to be the key at the NSS....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

Both Morton and Gordon were always adamant that they would not step down a league.

I get the feeling that the present promoters would not want to go down that road and step down a league also.

Due to Poland’s dominance in the Sport and having preferential race night on Friday and Sunday , the only other way forward is to go in to one league riding on the night you want in a much watered down league as those riders who race in Poland would abandon Britain due to the monies they can earn in Poland.

31 minutes ago, mikebv said:

For me, re the Aces, it's definitely the night they run...

Mort and DG's whole business plan was based on Saturdays, and Fridays when a GP was on..

And wasn't the average around 1800 with several tipping over 2000?

Maybe time to bite the bullet for the Aces and go down a division (if it actually is that in Speedway:rolleyes:), and run against more 'local' teams on a weekend...

Let's face it, most of the riders on show for them and their opponents will be many of the ones currently appearing on Mondays and Thursdays now anyway..

The nights they run really do seem to be the key at the NSS....

That's the point - if speedway became a Friday / Saturday only sport at the NSS (and everywhere else) which of the current Premiership riders might we not see?

I am not suggesting we 'ban' the top riders in any way - if they were available, wanted to ride and accepted most-likely lower payrates than they get now here in the UK, then they should be welcomed. It would definitely rule out Grand Prix riders though - so no Jason Doyle - and those in the future if they make the Grand Prix series as a regular e.g. Max Fricke and Robert Lambert. And, at some stage, some likely to aspire to become Grand Prix riders or keen to return to the Grand Prix, e.g. Dan Bewley; Kenneth Bjerre; Craig Cook wouldn't ride in the UK either. This would obviously be a moveable feast year-on-year.

So, I suppose it begs the question, would this e.g. Belle Vue  v Wolves match on a Saturday evening attract a bigger crowd than the current line-ups do on a 'normal' Monday / Thursday?  (I know Wolves usually visit on a Bank Holiday and I have moved up a couple of Cradley riders into the Wolves team simply because of Cradley racing home matches at Monmore Green). Of course, depending on how team strengths are determined you might still find riders of current Championship second string / reserve status occupying the reserve berths anyway.

Belle Vue : 1 Dan Bewley  2 Jaimon Lidsey  3 Ricky Wells  4 Dimitri Berge  5 Steve Worrall   6 Kyle Bickley  7 Jordan Palin

Wolves : 1 Nick Morris  2 Luke Becker  3 Kyle Howarth 4 Ashley Morris  5 Rory Schlein  6 Jack Smith  7 Max Clegg 

• Like 1

Don't know how many times I've repeated this but crowd levels are nothing to do with the quality of racing. Firstly people need a reason to go, if they are not already fans then do they know what to expect, once there will they just say - is that it? It needs to be a good night out no matter what the racing is like. Test cricket is dull as anything, as is F1, horse racing? It's the social aspect which attracts. Arrange events, kids play zones, simulators, pots /bike sessions, indoor accommodation for bad weather, live bands, bingo, any sort of side show rather than just stand around in the cold would help. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GregoryM said:

That's the point - if speedway became a Friday / Saturday only sport at the NSS (and everywhere else) which of the current Premiership riders might we not see?

I am not suggesting we 'ban' the top riders in any way - if they were available, wanted to ride and accepted most-likely lower payrates than they get now here in the UK, then they should be welcomed. It would definitely rule out Grand Prix riders though - so no Jason Doyle - and those in the future if they make the Grand Prix series as a regular e.g. Max Fricke and Robert Lambert. And, at some stage, some likely to aspire to become Grand Prix riders or keen to return to the Grand Prix, e.g. Dan Bewley; Kenneth Bjerre; Craig Cook wouldn't ride in the UK either. This would obviously be a moveable feast year-on-year.

So, I suppose it begs the question, would this e.g. Belle Vue  v Wolves match on a Saturday evening attract a bigger crowd than the current line-ups do on a 'normal' Monday / Thursday?  (I know Wolves usually visit on a Bank Holiday and I have moved up a couple of Cradley riders into the Wolves team simply because of Cradley racing home matches at Monmore Green). Of course, depending on how team strengths are determined you might still find riders of current Championship second string / reserve status occupying the reserve berths anyway.

Belle Vue : 1 Dan Bewley  2 Jaimon Lidsey  3 Ricky Wells  4 Dimitri Berge  5 Steve Worrall   6 Kyle Bickley  7 Jordan Palin

Wolves : 1 Nick Morris  2 Luke Becker  3 Kyle Howarth 4 Ashley Morris  5 Rory Schlein  6 Jack Smith  7 Max Clegg 

Run that fixture on a Saturday night with those teams and there would be over 2k.

The race night is everything at BV. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Don't know how many times I've repeated this but crowd levels are nothing to do with the quality of racing. Firstly people need a reason to go, if they are not already fans then do they know what to expect, once there will they just say - is that it? It needs to be a good night out no matter what the racing is like. Test cricket is dull as anything, as is F1, horse racing? It's the social aspect which attracts. Arrange events, kids play zones, simulators, pots /bike sessions, indoor accommodation for bad weather, live bands, bingo, any sort of side show rather than just stand around in the cold would help. 

Agreed. Plus other things (some would need money) but like a screen to show the highlight of earlier races whilst waiting between events ,not silence as now , or even just some on on centre green explaining the oddities of a speedway bike, why "gardening" ,  why the need to heat clutch cable etc. Keep the poor crowd interested. Presentation is VERY important.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

We need more than just the ones who've left because of poor teams back because, in my experience, they won't make much difference. With no particular team to call my own to support I've been watching my speedway wherever took my fancy and met several people around the country I chatted to at their tracks. Many have stopped going and not one of them has cited 'poor teams' as their reason for packing up going to speedway. I don't doubt some have stopped going for that reason, but, as I posted, I don't know of any.

Of course not.. every time you get into debate you never know of anyone .

Edited by orion

1 hour ago, acef said:

Run that fixture on a Saturday night with those teams and there would be over 2k.

Spot on..

The days are gone where 'star names' will put 500 or so extra on a crowd level...

I can see World Class riders every week, several times a week, via the wonders of modern technology..

Therefore, there isn't the same 'buzz' and 'mystique' that was created by a Collins, Mauger, Olsen etc visiting your circuit, for what could be one of very few glimpses you would get of them per season.

Signing someone like Woffy would put some more bums on seats Initially at any track, but pretty soon those tempted to start attending more regularly would once more drift away as the novelty wore off.

As was proven when crowds dropped significantly even when many of the GP stars rode here, there simply isn't the sustainabilty any more to justify the outlay..

Therefore race on nights that you feel will generate your best crowds and see if that can deliver an extra 500...

Do that 18 times a year an that's another 9000 punters which at circa £20 a pop gives another £180k to help pay the bills...

And by riding at weekend you may at least get some chance of getting more kids going, so an investment hopefully for the future too..

Maybe see if a Premiership match could be arranged for one Saturday around Polands demands? Possibly the Aces and one other team could have 14 riders all available on that particular Saturday night?

That would gauge whether Saturday's are the viable night..

As for me, Saturday night is still very much 'Speedway night' in Manchester, even after so many years without it..

Nothing to lose surely?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acef said:

Agreed. As has been said I think the original plan was to run BV on Fridays-Saturdays but the new ‘promoters’ who don’t seem to know what they are doing decided or agreed rather stupidly to run meetings on Monday’s and Thursdays. 

No wonder BV is losing a fortune...and worryingly I don’t know how long it can carry on like this. We fans deserve better. 

2 hours ago, orion said:

Of course not.. every time you get into debate you never know of anyone .

Oh I know people all right. I know people who stopped going because the last time they went the away 'team' included five guests and R/R. I know people who stopped going because they supported Wednesday and Saturday teams but now have to go Monday and Thursday. I know people who packed up when they saw how easy some promoters will gang up to try and put a couple of rival tracks out of business. I know a couple who packed up because they saw riders riding for opposing teams one day then in the same team the next a division lower. There's other reasons people I know have packed up going too but hey, in your little world all people have stopped going because of poor teams. Fix that, heaven knows how these better teams will be paid for, but get these riders back and all will be well!

At least I concede a few probably stopped going because of poor teams (some who know you, apparently) but you seem to have a blinkered view where other motives are concerned.

And, since a good proportion of speedway fans in this country watch all three levels of the sport , why would the concept of 'poor teams' bother them unduly as long as the teams were reasonably well matched and conducive to good racing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

Oh I know people all right. I know people who stopped going because the last time they went the away 'team' included five guests and R/R. I know people who stopped going because they supported Wednesday and Saturday teams but now have to go Monday and Thursday. I know people who packed up when they saw how easy some promoters will gang up to try and put a couple of rival tracks out of business. I know a couple who packed up because they saw riders riding for opposing teams one day then in the same team the next a division lower. There's other reasons people I know have packed up going too but hey, in your little world all people have stopped going because of poor teams. Fix that, heaven knows how these better teams will be paid for, but get these riders back and all will be well!

At least I concede a few probably stopped going because of poor teams (some who know you, apparently) but you seem to have a blinkered view where other motives are concerned.

And, since a good proportion of speedway fans in this country watch all three levels of the sport , why would the concept of 'poor teams' bother them unduly as long as the teams were reasonably well matched and conducive to good racing.

I think they are just your own views to be honest and these people don't  exist  lets  be honest you do it in  every debate ..people watch all sport at  all kinds of levels but nearly all  of the time the better standard the better crowd . This guff about good racing and well matched teams really  means next to  nothing other wise  the NL would be packed rather being watched by one man and his dog .

Edited by orion

1 hour ago, orion said:

I think they are just your own views to be honest and these people don't  exist  lets  be honest you do it in  every debate ..people watch all sport at  all kinds of levels but nearly all  of the time the better standard the better crowd . This guff about good racing and well matched teams really  means next to  nothing other wise  the NL would be packed rather being watched by one man and his dog .

Well, certainly not at speedway meetings any more anyway. More's the pity.