British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

NL comfort zone.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

"Ben also needs to realise that he has the potential to be a professional speedway rider and that's a very different animal to being a star in a League where half your opponents struggle to stay on, get their bikes to do four laps and in some cases can barely skid a bike. I've seen him have some terrific rides at this and Elite level so the talent is there. I don't think the NL comfort zone is doing him any good"

The above is a quote by Eastbourne's Jon Cook. Delightful to see what he really thinks of the National League, a league that Eastbourne have just moved out of and that featured a lakeside team not so long ago. Nobody claims that NL riders are the finished article but i personally find the above comments incredibly rude towards everyone who competes in and follows the NL. 

Here's my quote back "You can stick your opinions and any club you have anything to do with now or in the future where it doesn't shine as you won't be getting one penny from me."

I don't often agree with Sings, but on this subject he is 100% right. Jon Cook should be ashamed of himself for this insult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Certainly doesn't sound like his comments are in the best interests of speedway to me? I certainly hope he issue a full and grovelling apology soon otherwise a suitable punishment would be to travel to every NL track (at his own expense) and apologies on the centre green .

• Like 1

Where does he think riders like Morley,Wood, etc get enough money to keep their machines in tip top condition?

I think that type of statement brings the sport into disrepute.

I hope some sort of apology is issued or some punishment dished out to him.

Disgraceful.

• Like 3

What does Jon Cook know about speedway. He took his homeless Lakeside team into a dump of a stadium at Rye House and lost a fortune. I take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

" a very different animal to being a star in a League where half your opponents struggle to stay on, get their bikes to do four laps and in some cases can barely skid a bike.

Riders can (and have been)  banned for making derogatory remarks on social media.     It'll be interesting to see what action the SCB take against Mr Cook for these disgraceful comments.

Perhaps Mr Cook should concentrate his time more on the Eastbourne track and see if he can sort the dangerous surface where the Championship riders struggle to stay on, do four laps, and in some case can barely skid a bike.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

What does Jon Cook know about speedway. He took his homeless Lakeside team into a dump of a stadium at Rye House and lost a fortune. I take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Rye House is a purpose stadium fit for speedway without the inconvenience of a dog or stock car track in the way.

The previous incumbents did their best to turn it into a dump (moto x track etc) but I’m sure that will be rectified once speedway returns.

Lakeside lost money through the playoff system of riding against the same team over and over again.

17 minutes ago, GWC said:

Rye House is a purpose stadium fit for speedway without the inconvenience of a dog or stock car track in the way.

The previous incumbents did their best to turn it into a dump (moto x track etc) but I’m sure that will be rectified once speedway returns.

Lakeside lost money through the playoff system of riding against the same team over and over again.

Sadly it would cost 12 grand to put the fetid car park before you worry about the laghole of a stadium interior

12 minutes ago, GWC said:

I went to every meeting Lakeside rode at Rye. Every one was awful. Dreadful racing on a bald track. Terrible facilities, poor lighting (when they worked) and an assult course disguised as a car park. These are the main reasons the crowds were low. The whole package was atrocious. If speedway ever returns to Rye, the new promoters will need to do a far better job than the last mob.

Think John cooks comments are just ridiculous. The NL is a great product. Let’s be  honest John cook knows nothing about speedway as he couldn’t keep up with paying his NL riders last when they was in the NL, so god knows how he keeps up with paying the Eastbourne riders. 

As for the opponents staying on there bikes well stop lowering the points limit so much and forcing riders to ride above there means. Speedway is a progression sport, so if you dropping the team limit so much there is not point in haveing an MDL/SDL. I find NL good racing. But my personal opinion is that unfortunately this year the NL is a glorified MDL and it’s hard to sell a product like that and get the punters in. But that’s just my opinion. 

Id like to find out what everyone’s else’s opinion is...........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

"Ben also needs to realise that he has the potential to be a professional speedway rider and that's a very different animal to being a star in a League where half your opponents struggle to stay on, get their bikes to do four laps and in some cases can barely skid a bike. I've seen him have some terrific rides at this and Elite level so the talent is there. I don't think the NL comfort zone is doing him any good"

The above is a quote by Eastbourne's Jon Cook. Delightful to see what he really thinks of the National League, a league that Eastbourne have just moved out of and that featured a lakeside team not so long ago. Nobody claims that NL riders are the finished article but i personally find the above comments incredibly rude towards everyone who competes in and follows the NL. 

Here's my quote back "You can stick your opinions and any club you have anything to do with now or in the future where it doesn't shine as you won't be getting one penny from me."

Totally disrespectful to both the NL as a whole and his own 2 riders who have chosen to ride for 2 teams. Also don’t forget that Bowtell has been touring around for an NL spot so his riders obviously don’t agree with him!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Motox92 said:

Think John cooks comments are just ridiculous. The NL is a great product. Let’s be  honest John cook knows nothing about speedway as he couldn’t keep up with paying his NL riders last when they was in the NL, so god knows how he keeps up with paying the Eastbourne riders. 

As for the opponents staying on there bikes well stop lowering the points limit so much and forcing riders to ride above there means. Speedway is a progression sport, so if you dropping the team limit so much there is not point in haveing an MDL/SDL. I find NL good racing. But my personal opinion is that unfortunately this year the NL is a glorified MDL and it’s hard to sell a product like that and get the punters in. But that’s just my opinion. 

Id like to find out what everyone’s else’s opinion is...........

Had my say on this on the Eastbourne 2019 thread. It's clear that most believe that Cook's comments are completely unjustifiable. 

Word I have is that he has little time for the lower leagues, including the old PL when Lakeside were EL.

I know that the points limit in the NL was dropped to its present level against the wishes of most of the clubs and at the behest of the BSPA. This was apparently motivated by a desire to force riders up and lower pay costs in the Championship. There's no question in my mind that it made the NL's ability to draw attendances harder. 

Despite that, I think that NL teams have done an excellent job in putting out competitive, attractive line ups that are a long way from development league standard - anyone who has seen the Colts(for example) this year would, I am sure, agree.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Had my say on this on the Eastbourne 2019 thread. It's clear that most believe that Cook's comments are completely unjustifiable. 

Word I have is that he has little time for the lower leagues, including the old PL when Lakeside were EL.

I know that the points limit in the NL was dropped to its present level against the wishes of most of the clubs and at the behest of the BSPA. This was apparently motivated by a desire to force riders up and lower pay costs in the Championship. There's no question in my mind that it made the NL's ability to draw attendances harder. 

Despite that, I think that NL teams have done an excellent job in putting out competitive, attractive line ups that are a long way from development league standard - anyone who has seen the Colts(for example) this year would, I am sure, agree.

We have a youth meeting coming to Swindon in a week or so  also with Kent bringing a side down in another meeting.I have seen a few NL meeting's and Swindon had a few a couple of season's ago ( Danny Ayres great value and entertainment).It showed me it does not matter what level it is at speedway it can still be entertaining the NL has come along way in my opinion a good product in its own right.

• Like 3

Does anyone care what John Cook says ? he should be fined for his ridiculous comments em he probably could not afford to pay.!!!!Look at the difference of Cook  and passionate and progressive MR Bishop  at the Isle of Wight they  are like chalk/ cheese.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Does anyone care what John Cook says ? he should be fined for his ridiculous comments em !!!! he probably could not afford to pay.Look at the difference of Cook and the guy at the Isle of Wight they  like chalk/ cheese.

I saw an excellent meeting on the island on tuesday Sid. Cook's comments are an insult to all of those riders that put on a show to entertain us.

• Like 5