British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

NL comfort zone.

When Wimbledon were in the CL, I was impressed by how well most of the riders got around what was a very tricky track. They were a far cry from some of the wobblers I remember from watching second halves in the 60s. When Barry Briggs visited Plough Lane he said he couldn't have got round that track in his early days and yet we were watching some good racing there.

33 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I saw an excellent meeting on the island on tuesday Sid. Cook's comments are an insult to all of those riders that put on a show to entertain us.

I am going to try to get there City this year for a 2 day stay with my wife.I fancy the Leicester or Kent encounter is it best to get the crossing from Southampton -       City.???

Edited by Sidney the robin

55 minutes ago, Chadster said:

When Wimbledon were in the CL, I was impressed by how well most of the riders got around what was a very tricky track. They were a far cry from some of the wobblers I remember from watching second halves in the 60s. When Barry Briggs visited Plough Lane he said he couldn't have got round that track in his early days and yet we were watching some good racing there.

Totally agree with you, to think Chadster how riders in the 60s /70s would win a second half junior scurry then line up against the likes of Briggs in there next race.It is amazing how many riders that did come through as novices and how some did not get demoralized along the way and  give up.

Edited by Sidney the robin

55 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I am going to try to get there City this year for a 2 day stay with my wife.I fancy the Leicester or Kent encounter is it best to get the crossing from Southampton -       City.???

I always get the fast cat foot passenger ferry from Portsmouth to Ryde. I haven't had a holiday over there since i was a kid.

13 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Totally disrespectful to both the NL as a whole and his own 2 riders who have chosen to ride for 2 teams. Also don’t forget that Bowtell has been touring around for an NL spot so his riders obviously don’t agree with him!

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Does anyone care what John Cook says ? he should be fined for his ridiculous comments em he probably could not afford to pay.!!!!Look at the difference of Cook  and passionate and progressive MR Bishop  at the Isle of Wight they  are like chalk/ cheese.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I saw an excellent meeting on the island on tuesday Sid. Cook's comments are an insult to all of those riders that put on a show to entertain us.

I think the comments are not just an insult to the riders within the NL but also to the promotions attempting to keep their teams alive. Cook has basically said don't bother watching NL as the riders are no good and racing likewise. To generate a bit of publicity and gamesmanship between teams great, Eastbourne & Kent have done that very well over the past few seasons but to publicly slate opposing businesses is nothing short of desperation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Motox92 said:

Think John cooks comments are just ridiculous. The NL is a great product. Let’s be  honest John cook knows nothing about speedway as he couldn’t keep up with paying his NL riders last when they was in the NL, so god knows how he keeps up with paying the Eastbourne riders. 

As for the opponents staying on there bikes well stop lowering the points limit so much and forcing riders to ride above there means. Speedway is a progression sport, so if you dropping the team limit so much there is not point in haveing an MDL/SDL. I find NL good racing. But my personal opinion is that unfortunately this year the NL is a glorified MDL and it’s hard to sell a product like that and get the punters in. But that’s just my opinion. 

Id like to find out what everyone’s else’s opinion is...........

I have to admit that the points lowering is poorly considered and hasn't / won't work out how the bspa intended. Its a tough job promoting any league now with the disparity in standard between riders within a team and teams within a league and made even tougher by idiots who think condescending comments towards the league beneath them are justified. 

If Jon Cook had aimed the comments at the MSDL i would have understood as there are riders appearing in that league that are below the required standard to make a safe yet entertaining spectacle but he did not, he aimed fully at a lower paid league and belittled the riders, promoters & fans who support it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I always get the fast cat foot passenger ferry from Portsmouth to Ryde. I haven't had a holiday over there since i was a kid.

Thanks City, i  have only ever  been there once before in 1975 when the Hovercraft came out.

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Thanks City, i  have only ever  been there once before in 1975 when the Hovercraft came out.

The hovercraft still runs to Ryde.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Motox92 said:

Think John cooks comments are just ridiculous. The NL is a great product. Let’s be  honest John cook knows nothing about speedway as he couldn’t keep up with paying his NL riders last when they was in the NL, so god knows how he keeps up with paying the Eastbourne riders. 

As for the opponents staying on there bikes well stop lowering the points limit so much and forcing riders to ride above there means. Speedway is a progression sport, so if you dropping the team limit so much there is not point in haveing an MDL/SDL. I find NL good racing. But my personal opinion is that unfortunately this year the NL is a glorified MDL and it’s hard to sell a product like that and get the punters in. But that’s just my opinion. 

Id like to find out what everyone’s else’s opinion is...........

looks like Cook's fellow Eastbourne Director and Eastbourne Management agrees with you, found this on one of many Facebook threads about the comments and was posted by Ian Jordan Eastbourne Director-:

As my name actually appears on that picture as a Director of Eastbourne Speedway I feel obliged, after a lot of soul searching to comment. The comments made are the personal opinion of the person who has made them and Jon is perfectly entitled to make them as is anyone in a democracy. They are not and should not be taken as anything other than that. As a passionate advocate; supporter, watcher and sponsor of 6 current National League Riders all of whom can slide a speedway bike exceptionally well, I do not personally agree with the comments, in fact having put significant sums of my own money where my mouth is to support NL Riders and an NL now CL Team I think it is patently obvious that I do not agree with them. That does not diminish my respect and support for Jon, as we are all entitled to our opinions, and we all express them in different ways. On the vexed and un-linked situation of National League and Professional and Amateur or "not professional" as the case may be, my interpretation of the situation is this. The word "Development" is as a direct result of the Speedway Authorities desire to keep the current 3rd tier as a League predominantly for riders who are born and brought up in the UK or who have valid UK Passports or parental rights. By using very clearly the word "development" they circumnavigate very complex EU laws which without the word "development" would possibly mean the League being flooded by EU and other nationalities. I look forwards to continuing to support, sponsor and ultimately promote the CL and PL riders of the future in the National League.

Whilst very diplomatic and gently throwing Cook under the wheels the fact remains that the comments printed in the Eastbourne programme by a member of the Eastbourne promotion fall back onto Eastbourne Speedway as a whole. If these were spoken comments on the mic after a match they could have easily been brushed aside as heat of the moment but putting into print is a deliberate and considered act. As Director of Eastbourne Speedway it is Ian's job to either proof read content in the programme or charge that to someone suitably PR savvy. Instead the statements are out there, the apologies are not and pitching that Cook is entitled to his opinion isn't really suitable given the scale of the insults dished out.

• Like 1

Just been pointed in the direction of Barry Bishops facebook reply to the insults by Cook and what a vast difference in composure and intelligence between these two individuals. Barry "gets it", he gets speedway, he knows its far from perfect but he doesn't bash it down. Unsurprisingly there is plenty of NL support for his wise and well placed words too. Perhaps the Island would be the best place for Jon Cook to start his apology tour.

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Just been pointed in the direction of Barry Bishops facebook reply to the insults by Cook and what a vast difference in composure and intelligence between these two individuals. Barry "gets it", he gets speedway, he knows its far from perfect but he doesn't bash it down. Unsurprisingly there is plenty of NL support for his wise and well placed words too. Perhaps the Island would be the best place for Jon Cook to start his apology tour.

He wouldn't know how to get there. He never turned up when lakeside rode on the island a couple of years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least the comments of Ian Jordan are a tad more sensible, and he distances himself from the disgraceful comments of Jon Cook.

However a bit of digging suggests that the SCB can not take action against Jon Cook, as neither Jon Cook nor Ian Jordan are promoters (Nor are they SCB officials at all).   The people who will have to take responsibility for the programme comments which bring the sport into disrepute are the licenced officials Mike Bellerby & Trevor Geer.

But I wonder if all is not harmonious at Eastbourne.  

The promoting company (Eastbourne Eagles Ltd) was formed on 14 December 2018 with Ian Jordan and Jon Cook as the Directors and both as 50% shareholders.

Then quite recently on 28 May 2019, Jon Cook resigned as a director, leaving Jordan as the sole director.  Cook also ceased to be a 50% shareholder, so it looks like Jordan is now the sole owner.

• Thanks 1

Jon Cook has always had an inflated opinion of himself (especially in front of the TV cameras) ... but in reality he has always come across as a clown. One of many in the sport.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst very diplomatic and gently throwing Cook under the wheels the fact remains that the comments printed in the Eastbourne programme by a member of the Eastbourne promotion fall back onto Eastbourne Speedway as a whole. If these were spoken comments on the mic after a match they could have easily been brushed aside as heat of the moment but putting into print is a deliberate and considered act. As Director of Eastbourne Speedway it is Ian's job to either proof read content in the programme or charge that to someone suitably PR savvy. Instead the statements are out there, the apologies are not and pitching that Cook is entitled to his opinion isn't really suitable given the scale of the insults dished out.

You know more about the NL product than me Sings-  but the league is doing a great job. Last night i watched the young Brennan and/  Mum video on the Eastbourne tv  and god how professional and heartwhelming was that.What they have achieved with there media side of things is terrific so Cook's ridiculous comments should not tar all the Eastbourne set up with the same brush.