British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

NL comfort zone.

15 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You know more about the NL product than me Sings-  but the league is doing a great job. Last night i watched the young Brennan and/  Mum video on the Eastbourne tv  and god how professional and heartwhelming was that.What they have achieved with there media side of things is terrific so Cook's ridiculous comments should not tar all the Eastbourne set up with the same brush.

i agree about their social media and website and TV - I watched this the other night a documentary over 30 minutes

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-tv-trackside/

click the link under the picture to Eagles TV then go half way down page where it says Trackside - it's outstanding by speedway standards

19 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You know more about the NL product than me Sings-  but the league is doing a great job. Last night i watched the young Brennan and/  Mum video on the Eastbourne tv  and god how professional and heartwhelming was that.What they have achieved with there media side of things is terrific so Cook's ridiculous comments should not tar all the Eastbourne set up with the same brush.

I will certainly concede that what the previous promotion initiated and the current promotion have extended upon in terms of presentation both at the track and via social media channels has been nothing short of outstanding and really pushing the bar much closer to where it needs to be across the board. I think that is why it made the insults all the more disappointing. If they had been made via Cooks own personal media then whilst still stupid the club would have escaped fault but to feature within the clubs official programme means the views must be at the very least supported / validated by the club. They wouldn't allow advertising space to be purchased and then used to print derogatory comments about the club or its supporters but have gone to press with a statement that insults not just a few but an entire league, the riders within it and the supporters of any competing NL team.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

i agree about their social media and website and TV - I watched this the other night a documentary over 30 minutes

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-tv-trackside/

click the link under the picture to Eagles TV then go half way down page where it says Trackside - it's outstanding by speedway standards

Thanks Gould i have seen it, really is terrific the club has a great history and great fans.

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I am going to try to get there City this year for a 2 day stay with my wife.I fancy the Leicester or Kent encounter is it best to get the crossing from Southampton -       City.???

Sidney. Not sure if you no, but if you go on the Warriors web site there is a code for discount off transport to the iow. 

4 hours ago, HGould said:

looks like Cook's fellow Eastbourne Director and Eastbourne Management agrees with you, found this on one of many Facebook threads about the comments and was posted by Ian Jordan Eastbourne Director-:

As my name actually appears on that picture as a Director of Eastbourne Speedway I feel obliged, after a lot of soul searching to comment. The comments made are the personal opinion of the person who has made them and Jon is perfectly entitled to make them as is anyone in a democracy. They are not and should not be taken as anything other than that. As a passionate advocate; supporter, watcher and sponsor of 6 current National League Riders all of whom can slide a speedway bike exceptionally well, I do not personally agree with the comments, in fact having put significant sums of my own money where my mouth is to support NL Riders and an NL now CL Team I think it is patently obvious that I do not agree with them. That does not diminish my respect and support for Jon, as we are all entitled to our opinions, and we all express them in different ways. On the vexed and un-linked situation of National League and Professional and Amateur or "not professional" as the case may be, my interpretation of the situation is this. The word "Development" is as a direct result of the Speedway Authorities desire to keep the current 3rd tier as a League predominantly for riders who are born and brought up in the UK or who have valid UK Passports or parental rights. By using very clearly the word "development" they circumnavigate very complex EU laws which without the word "development" would possibly mean the League being flooded by EU and other nationalities. I look forwards to continuing to support, sponsor and ultimately promote the CL and PL riders of the future in the National League.

Clearly Ian Jordan is trying to distance himself from the remarks made. To be fair, I don't doubt his sincerity for a single moment.

Problem for him is they were made by someone very close to the Eastbourne promotion (close enough to actually be able write in the programme) so he won't be able to disassociate himself from them entirely.  

As to whether Jon Cook is 'perfectly entitled' to make such remarks, I would say that is a matter of debate.  While we are all able to give opinion on a particular issue, what we are not entitled to do is to make statements that are blatantly untrue in the full knowledge that they are blatantly untrue which could affect another person or their business interests. 

The way I see it, that is precisely what Cook has done.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Just been pointed in the direction of Barry Bishops facebook reply to the insults by Cook and what a vast difference in composure and intelligence between these two individuals. Barry "gets it", he gets speedway, he knows its far from perfect but he doesn't bash it down. Unsurprisingly there is plenty of NL support for his wise and well placed words too. Perhaps the Island would be the best place for Jon Cook to start his apology tour.

If you are on facebook, this is definitely worth a read (Isle of Wight Speedway page)

It pretty much sums Barry Bishop up - honest, decent, caring and passionate. I daresay the words he first thought of aren't reflected in the post...………….

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

Sidney. Not sure if you no, but if you go on the Warriors web site there is a code for discount off transport to the iow. 

Thank you , Mr Bishop who sent me a message last year mentioned it thanks again flipper11.Will take City Rebel's advice and go from Portsmouth.

• Like 1

I've never met Barry Bishop (I have had the displeasure of Mr Cook!) but he always comes across like a decent guy who should have more say in how British Speedway is run. I concur with Halifaxtiger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brandonmole said:

I've never met Barry Bishop (I have had the displeasure of Mr Cook!) but he always comes across like a decent guy who should have more say in how British Speedway is run. I concur with Halifaxtiger.

Really would be great if Mr Bishop did, other posters over the month's have really praised how good the Isle of Wight is.In this day and age and  in this difficult climate under Bishop they are reaching out a great family day out.He seems to have a balance pay the bills get some of the new punters back again and put  money into  the future .

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1