British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ellioth4

Somerset V Plymouth (Challenge) 12/06/2019

Speedway Updates site are looking for an texter to text updates of this meeting tonight please? if anyone can support, please send me a private message with your moblie number?

Thanks

What was the meeting like? Was it useful exercise for Somerset who tried out some youngsters? Also what was the crowd like?

Going on results only it looked a better exercise for Plymouth. Saul Bulley beating both Gladiators reserves on the night and must be pressuring for a team place soon. Id never heard of Vicentin before last night but he put in some good scores and beat good riders so won't have done himself any harm i would think.

Entertaining meeting. Vicentin looked competitive and I would compare to Groubar standard. Cook also tried hard and looks to have potential if given time to settle in somewhere. After getting sorted out Barker proved he can still deliver so don’t think he will be clubless for long. Given the threat of rain, Chris Durno pushed the meeting along. Helped to make it a slick, well presented evening (I was told that the Isle of Wight presenter Rob............filled in for the usual guy) in front of for a crowd of about 350.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable meeting, some good close racing and very slickly run indeed. All done in LESS than 70 minutes! - 15 heats + 3 track grades + 2 short hold-ups for falls (Vicentin, when leading Heat 10, and Atkins at his 'bogey' second bend in Heat 11). Meeting started early, around 7.25pm, following 7.15pm rider introductions. By 8pm we were starting Heat 10. Meeting finished just after 8.30pm. They should run EVERY meeting like this, even when not trying to beat the weather. It was a terrific pace - exactly what is needed in this sport, instead of the ridiculous long gaps (and silence/inactivity) between heats we usually have to put up with.

Vicentin is box office - terrific rider and clearly a character too. Look forward to seeing him ride again. Zack Cook was promising. Behind the scenes, Covatti and Jack Holder were there for them in the pits, spannering.

Anders Rowe did really well, although the announcer kept mispronouncing his name(!). Anyone else noticed how Rowe begins races? He's the only rider who looks down at the tapes rather than looking to the side at the poles the tapes are fixed to. I see he only turned 17 last month. He's got great potential.

Crowd very thin, as expected, but I think people who didn't come missed a treat.

• Like 1

A really good meeting, everyone standing near me were really impressed with the presentation, the guy who was on the centre green kept moving things along and you could hear him!! As for the MUSIC, what a difference so much improved to what we usually get, what we they have been playing for the last two seasons I have been coming I am sorry to say has been absolute rubbish, all very modern stuff, last night fans were singing along and we even had music bringing the riders to the start line.

The only quibble I have is why, when the young Aussie and Italian were going to be interviewed after the meeting they sent the bikes out so we couldn't hear them, its not as though time was short as the meeting moved along nicely.

More of the same please.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Entertaining meeting. Vicentin looked competitive and I would compare to Groubar standard. Cook also tried hard and looks to have potential if given time to settle in somewhere. After getting sorted out Barker proved he can still deliver so don’t think he will be clubless for long. Given the threat of rain, Chris Durno pushed the meeting along. Helped to make it a slick, well presented evening (I was told that the Isle of Wight presenter Rob............filled in for the usual guy) in front of for a crowd of about 350.

The Isle of Wight presenter did a great job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iand said:

What was the meeting like? Was it useful exercise for Somerset who tried out some youngsters? Also what was the crowd like?

Thanks for all the feedback, sounds like a good meeting . Do hate a long drawn out meeting so nice to here this one was pushed through in a sensible manner. One last question which I nearly asked in my original post is did Somerset price the meeting accordingly?

3 minutes ago, westernflyer said:

£10 entrance fee. 

Thanks for reply, shame a few more didn't go.

Great to hear the challenge meeting was a success on track.

So begs the question - what would people rather see, lower standard but lower entrance fees/costs or a higher standard and higher entrance fees/costs?

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Great to hear the challenge meeting was a success on track.

So begs the question - what would people rather see, lower standard but lower entrance fees/costs or a higher standard and higher entrance fees/costs?

the crowd number should give you a clue as to what the zummerzet fans want  

Hi guys. Thank you for your feedback about the presentation at last night’s very entertaining meeting. With your usual guys unavailable it was a pleasure to have been able to step in and help Garry and Debbie out. And to those of you who took time to have a chat at the end I thank you very much. Here’s to the next time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jenga said:

the crowd number should give you a clue as to what the zummerzet fans want  

Not much in attendance from what some say for 2nd division league racing. Someone said about 550. I wonder what is more profitable.... or least costly.