British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Poole v Wolverhampton Premiership Monday June 17th live on BT Sport

42 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Some people on here struggle with maths.

you are always not guaranteed 1000 people tho !! there the loss appears !!

2 hours ago, marko said:

I have said this before but if people stay away you will not get any money from them, even if you charge a tenner, that’s ten quid you would not have got otherwise, it doesn’t cost anymore to run the stadium if you have 500 people in or 5000 so you might as well pack the place out.

500 adults at £20 a pop is 10k

1000 adults at £10 a pop is also 10k

my sentiment exactly

On the other hand, if you drop your price by a third - say from £15 to £10, you have to increase your crowd by 50% just to stand still. 

In BT Sport’s first season covering domestic speedway (2017) all tracks were ordered to reduce prices for televised meetings so they’d look good to BT. Some went at a fiver (Swindon?) some round about a tenner. I’m sure I read somewhere that all tracks lost on the deal. 

Don't forget tracks are made to take tv fixtures and, historically, crowds are down for these so, unless a track can guarantee that by lowering their prices they will substantially improve the crowd and make good the lost revenue, they need to maximise prices so they minimise losses

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

On the other hand, if you drop your price by a third - say from £15 to £10, you have to increase your crowd by 50% just to stand still. 

In BT Sport’s first season covering domestic speedway (2017) all tracks were ordered to reduce prices for televised meetings so they’d look good to BT. Some went at a fiver (Swindon?) some round about a tenner. I’m sure I read somewhere that all tracks lost on the deal. 

Don't forget tracks are made to take tv fixtures and, historically, crowds are down for these so, unless a track can guarantee that by lowering their prices they will substantially improve the crowd and make good the lost revenue, they need to maximise prices so they minimise losses

Maybe the TV company should subsidize the track to allow them to offer discounted admission. What good does it do BT screening an event from an empty stadium. Two of the more recent matches from Belle Vue and Ipswich were an embarrassment crowd wise.

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Maybe the TV company should subsidize the track to allow them to offer discounted admission. What good does it do BT screening an event from an empty stadium. Two of the more recent matches from Belle Vue and Ipswich were an embarrassment crowd wise.

Trouble is the contract is worth s*d all to the clubs/BSPA. Setting up, filming,transmitting must cost a fortune every match. The pot is empty !!!!

Ford Jr says he is looking forward to having Brady Kurtz back who has been scoring well abroad recently.

Suppose depends on how you look at it. Scored 14 from 5 rides in POL 2ND DIV against a load of grossly inferior riders incl Bjarne Pedersen in his aging years who can't get into POL Nice 1 or POL EXL. Then topped that up midweek last week with an impressive zero from 4 rides against decent opposition for Vetlanda in SWE.

Suppose will depend on which of the inconsistent Brady turns up. Let's hope its the one who has shown on occasions that he can be a good rider.  Similar with Holder Jr. Would be nice if both turned up for a change on the same day and both scored decent double figure points. Rarely happens with these 2 together so let's hope they both do well.

11 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Ford Jr says he is looking forward to having Brady Kurtz back who has been scoring well abroad recently.

Suppose depends on how you look at it. Scored 14 from 5 rides in POL 2ND DIV against a load of grossly inferior riders incl Bjarne Pedersen in his aging years who can't get into POL Nice 1 or POL EXL. Then topped that up midweek last week with an impressive zero from 4 rides against decent opposition for Vetlanda in SWE.

Suppose will depend on which of the inconsistent Brady turns up. Let's hope its the one who has shown on occasions that he can be a good rider.  Similar with Holder Jr. Would be nice if both turned up for a change on the same day and both scored decent double figure points. Rarely happens with these 2 together so let's hope they both do well.

Give Brady a break he's only just back from injury, as for Jack started the season slowly but going well now. They need support not slagging off.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:05 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

And you will pick up the £20,000 shortfall? Clubs can’t afford to reduce prices. 

Clubs can't afford NOT to reduce prices.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Never mind it looking good for 'BT'. Utterly irrelevant.

It's the sport of speedway it should be 'made to look good for'. Week after week, year after year of empty stadiums for TV meetings sends one message to the casual viewer... Speedway is not even worth considering.

Far too late for the penny to ever drop now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, marko said:

I have said this before but if people stay away you will not get any money from them, even if you charge a tenner, that’s ten quid you would not have got otherwise, it doesn’t cost anymore to run the stadium if you have 500 people in or 5000 so you might as well pack the place out.

I would like to see any track half their admission price and then double their crowd.

Edited by screm

20 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Never mind it looking good for 'BT'. Utterly irrelevant.

It's the sport of speedway it should be 'made to look good for'. Week after week, year after year of empty stadiums for TV meetings sends one message to the casual viewer... Speedway is not even worth considering.

Far too late for the penny to ever drop now.

There's a reason restaurants put you in the window when your the first in each evening...

Or put their early evening bookings there...

It's so the casual observer as they pass will think...

"If they have got that many in, it must be good in there"...

On the other hand. Speedway allows any casual observer to think..

"If they have only get that many in, it mustn't be any good"..

As you say, far too late for the penny to drop now..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, marko said:

Not to mention the added revenue that 500 more spectators would provide, more  programmes sales, greater catering sales, parking? etc.

In keeping with "Premiership" standards tonight's programme is last Thursday's rain-off with an insert and is of course..... full price!!!

• Like 1

For some reason, even the "great" promoters care little for that argument ( even though I believe it is right ). Do they really know something that we don't and prefer to have a few in paying more per person?

if no one comes, it doesn't matter how much you charge, YOU GET NOTHING!

• Like 1