British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ch958

Tracks around football pitches

Only went to a couple of league matches at Wembley and wasn't impressed but the couple of big meetings were something else. Saw some great racing then - or maybe I thought I did because of the occasion.

Edited by Barney Rabbit

[Sorry, Text Editors Issues]  Tracks around football / rugby pitches always tend to be a tad narrow & a bit square due to stadium design.  At the Boulevard (415 yds / 379m), the track was a bit square around the line and the straights were a bit (a bit?) skinny but the bends were pretty wide.  With Ivan's arrival the track was widened winter of 1977; the fence was taken out on the bends and back straight and the fence along the straights extended to allow better more entry and exit room on all 4 turns.  Though the back straight gradually narrowed once more season on season as more and ever lighter in colour grass strips were laid on the inside.  As is traditional due to lack of room the 'end zone' (?) corners were lifted then replaced for each speedway meeting.  The surface tended to be a bit rough too for home advantage, all that said we see some good racing there.  Speedway only ended after rugby club Hull FC's fortunes improved and was evicted end of 1981 but theroetically could have continued til 2008 until the stadium demolished to make way for an academy.

In 1995 Hull KR's Craven Park , the track (378 yds / 346m - almost identical to Wembley) was sandwiched between the rugby pitch and dog track but only approx 6ft was taken off the touchlines and goalline (?) at each end of the rugby pitch, I know this to be true as I bunked off college to watch it happen.   The end zone corners were also lifted then replaced for each speedway meeting and the track was bit wider on the straights (I paced them out !) at 8.5m / 28ft and about 14m / 46ft on the bends and was a better overall shape but also 'tight & technical' as Nige & Kelv would say, so the surface needed to be a bit slick.  The surface and therefore the racing improved as time went on but annoyingly,  it was not permitted to build much banking on the bends as apparently "it would have interferred with viewing the dog track", I went to greyhounds a few times and it wouldn't have.  To be honest, as with the Boulevard and most tracks really, CP provided some great racing and also some average heats, it happens everywhere.  Speedway ended once more end of 2005 as with greyhounds already gone, ironically to the Boulevard, the rugby pitch was enlarged and tentative plans were in place to lengthen the speedway track, similar to Workington's with each bend like Workys' turns 1 & 2.  But again, like Workintgon, after winning the treble in 2004, the speedway faced big money problems and sadly was forced to close once more.   Both rugby clubs appeared to have short memories, forgetting when they were more than grateful for the extra income.  It was physically j-u-s-t possible to still fit in a speedway track so the sport could have continued until 2010 or so but the erection of new stand on turns 3 & 4 mean it is no longer possible.

ASFAIK no footage exists of Hull White City (1930's) or Hull, Hedon (Hull Angels 1948/9) but posters and fellow track anoraks, can see the later 2 Hull circuits for themselves, won't bother with links as they often don't work but type into Youtube: Hull Speedway, Hull Speedway Yorkshire Television Trophy, Hull Speedway at Craven Park or Hull Vikings v Belle Vue Aces 1999 to see for yourself....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling & grammar 3x, sigh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

just looked at youtube footage of Ashfield and it looks fab racing

Rugby pitches are generally smaller than football pitches aren't they

It's definetly not

and No.

13 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

Hull reopened at Craven Park in the mid 90s, which was also around a rugby league pitch, Hull Kingston Rovers this time. Never went to The Boulevard but I was told that Craven Park wasn't quite as narrow. I've seen some good meetings at Derwent Park, Workington, which was around a rugby pitch.

There was of course the occasion that John Berry produced a measuring tape during the interval at Hull and proceeded to measure the width much to the annoyance of the home promoter Ian Thomas.

Interesting topic. Speaking to my dad who went to Halifax 1965-84 I think he would disagree with it been a horrible track. His view was that it was super fast (perhaps only Crewe faster?) and caught a lot of visiting riders out. Back then the spectacle of speedway was so exciting and coupled with the noise and slug of air at the back of the Shay main stand it was thrilling (similar times eh?) Another poster mention Chris Pusey who remains my dad's favourite ever rider and after watching speedway for over 50 years that's pretty good going. A friend of his has actually reproduced an exact Chris Pusey replica bike but that's for a different thread

Onto Bradford... Another track around a pitch. I'd say for most of the 20 years racing at Odsal was generally OK. Decent shape and plenty wide enough. Then in the last few years before closure  with the likes of Wigg, Loram, Screen, Sean Wilson the track was prep'd in such a way that you could see visually the outside of the bends was thick with extra dirt. All of sudden you had the most tremendous race track. Just wished they'd done it 15 years earlier!!

• Like 2

The Glasgow track suffered previously when the football club wanted a wider pitch and as a result the track looked rather square and good racing was at a bit of premium. 

With the football club no longer the owners of the stadium, the track was taken in by a couple of meters last year and there is a lot more room entering and exiting the bends. Last year saw improved racing but this year in particular has been consistently good in my opinion. 

I'd say Halifax was prob the best-shaped track around a footie pitch, though I never saw Coatbridge which was apparently similar in shape / size, I saw some good racing at Bradford too.  They have done a brilliant job at Glasgow Ashfield, not only stadium improvmenets but also making the most of available space whilst keeping a footie pitch on 'the centre green'.......

• Like 1

Stralsund track is around a football pitch from memory, and they make a big fuss about bikes going onto the centre. Handing out fines for anything other than pushing a bike across the green(pitch). Also never really seen a great meeting there

18 hours ago, ch958 said:

just looked at youtube footage of Ashfield and it looks fab racing

Rugby pitches are generally smaller than football pitches aren't they

Great, please tell fortythirtyeight as I think he/she may have been at Armadale instead! 

Glasgow - Hampden Park.

Love Street , Paisley home The Buddies staged speedway for a while , much like Berwick it had long straights and was narrow. Reportedly 6000 people attended the opening night in 1975 

10 hours ago, poncho said:

The Glasgow track suffered previously when the football club wanted a wider pitch and as a result the track looked rather square and good racing was at a bit of premium. 

With the football club no longer the owners of the stadium, the track was taken in by a couple of meters last year and there is a lot more room entering and exiting the bends. Last year saw improved racing but this year in particular has been consistently good in my opinion. 

Recent home meeting, Kyle Bickley on the inside line pipped broc Nicol who was going wider and wider. There hasn't been an inside line at Glasgow for years. Huge improvement and track now worthy of its stadium.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:35 PM, Chris116 said:

The short lived and VERY NARROW track at Romford was at the old football stadium. I remember enjoying my visits as a young teenager but it may be due to rose tinted spectacles syndrome! 

Always thought the racing at Brooklands was good. Thinking back Wembley was ok, as was White City.  Also went to Rochdale which was around a rugby pitch, though I can't remember what the racing was like, and Nelson which had a football pitch, the track being narrow and virtually square in shape. That was awful.