British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Berwick v Leicester 22nd June @ 7pm

12 minutes ago, Pod said:

I've seen worse. Always go back then wish I hadn't bothered. Have been attending less meetings the last 5 years. Speedway has just about had it in Berwick imo. Too expensive for everyone involved.

Edinburgh last year is one that qualifies as the worst at Shielfield  The only meeting ive ever seen where there was not one pass

Edited by Tellitasitis

Gary Flints positivity failed to rub off  on the riders, very poor from some members

no excuses beaten by a good Leicester Team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emilali said:

Thank god theres live speedway on every week. Thrilling action with every turn of the wheel.

Good to have you back. Missed you.

5 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Good to have you back. Missed you.

What would you say in the match report for tonight’s meeting?

Even with the reduced limit again for 2019. Why consistently year after year are Berwick  Speedway falling short? Like or loathe the governing bodies, they give clubs like Berwick a fantastic opportunity to be competitive every winter.

Why again do we have no real top end strength? Why have the club raised admission fees significantly for 2019 yet the management still persist with certain riders who have little to no improvement in them?

Nothing wrong with mediocrity but if this continues I don't forsee attendances improving at £17 a pop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

Even with the reduced limit again for 2019. Why consistently year after year are Berwick  Speedway falling short? Like or loathe the governing bodies, they give clubs like Berwick a fantastic opportunity to be competitive every winter.

Why again do we have no real top end strength? Why have the club raised admission fees significantly for 2019 yet the management still persist with certain riders who have little to no improvement in them?

Nothing wrong with mediocrity but if this continues I don't forsee attendances improving at £17 a pop.

£17 was a big mistake in my opinion It was £15 tonight be interesting to see if it stays at that price which, if it does, would mean the promotion were wrong to increase 

Edited by Tellitasitis
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, emilali said:

What would you say in the match report for tonight’s meeting?

Probably the poorest meeting this season to be fair. But that's what happens when better riders get in front. Berwick beaten by a better team tonight. I do feel that there has been a lot of over-reactions on here though. I bet you could look back on every season and find poor meetings.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

You can sum Berwick up each season with one phrase "shortage of money". It doesn't matter what you set the averages to, there will always be clubs who can offer better money to the riders who give best value for their averages. Berwick cannot afford to get involved in bidding wars like this. Similar for trying to attract top end riders. Probably why Berwick have traditionally gone for a strength in depth approach. Last year it almost paid off, getting within a point of the playoffs, which would have been a hell of an achievement. This year, it hasn't worked as well, but we still did well to get out of the Trophy group section. I can only imagine the club raised prices for 2019 in an attempt to cover the losses incurred last season. But unfortunately speedway is in a spiral at the moment where rider's costs and demands are far outweighing the income clubs receive. 

11 minutes ago, topsoil said:

You can sum Berwick up each season with one phrase "shortage of money". It doesn't matter what you set the averages to, there will always be clubs who can offer better money to the riders who give best value for their averages. Berwick cannot afford to get involved in bidding wars like this. Similar for trying to attract top end riders. Probably why Berwick have traditionally gone for a strength in depth approach. Last year it almost paid off, getting within a point of the playoffs, which would have been a hell of an achievement. This year, it hasn't worked as well, but we still did well to get out of the Trophy group section. I can only imagine the club raised prices for 2019 in an attempt to cover the losses incurred last season. But unfortunately speedway is in a spiral at the moment where rider's costs and demands are far outweighing the income clubs receive. 

Yes I would agree but 'certain' other clubs also have had to cut their cloth accordingly also.

Edited by Robinh88

11 minutes ago, topsoil said:

I would say that’s exactly the reason for the price increase but you have to ask has it had a negative effect? Instead of increasing revenue it’s decreased it with less people willing to pay more 

the shape of the track does not lend itself to good racing.      very fast straights and then scrub the speed off to go round a tight left hand corner.    all tracks around a football pitch are the same.

Those that thought that Berwick would pull this round on aggregate were deluding themselves I`m afraid and so it proved, in fact as I posted beforehand Berwick would have a job on just to win on the night and so it proved as Leicester ran out worthy winners and looked what they are, the best team in the league. One or two members in the Berwick team under performing of late and that needs to turn round very soon as more home defeats are likely if that isnt addressed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tellitasitis said:

I would say that’s exactly the reason for the price increase but you have to ask has it had a negative effect? Instead of increasing revenue it’s decreased it with less people willing to pay more 

It's had a negative effect, but I can't see any other option they had. Sponsorship was difficult to attract, costs have been cut, even the riders took a pay reduction. You could take the radical step of reducing admission in the hope that there is a significant increase in crowds, but it is a hell of a gamble when you have already lost a lot of money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark said:

the shape of the track does not lend itself to good racing.      very fast straights and then scrub the speed off to go round a tight left hand corner.    all tracks around a football pitch are the same.

The problem in a nutshell