British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fortythirtyeight

David Wallinger Ludicrous situation.

So the lad gets dropped ( the reasons don't matter for this point ) and now has his ' guest ' bookings for a Championship club cancelled as he's not in a declared National League team any longer.

So now he has no team and no bookings.

Any wonder this sport can't be taken seriously?

• Confused 1

You wouldn't describe it as ludicrous if he had turned down the offer of place in a team though, would you?

Whilst I agreed with Mildenhalls decision to drop David Walllinger, denying the lad the chance of rides to put himself back in the shop window is ridiculous!

17 minutes ago, ancient mariner said:

You wouldn't describe it as ludicrous if he had turned down the offer of place in a team though, would you?

Yes, the rule is a joke.

If he's turned down Plymouth (?) then I would totally understand as he lives in the north and works for a living but that is not the argument, it's the ruling itself that is wrong. If he was allowed to take up his booking he just may get offered a team place but he can't because he hasn't got a place already.

Ridiculous.

As a good friend of mine said a long time ago...... whatever you do , do not take Speedway seriously... just enjoy the racing if you are lucky enough to watch at a good track.

By the way he started watching Exeter in the 50s...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

Amusing that some refer to Wallinger as a 'lad.'

Agreed not exactly the future of the sport. Them's the rules and that's the way it is however shock horror there is one moaner so in the interests of fairness im just off to start threads about Tom Wooley, Dan Greenwood, Mark Baseby, Paul Hurry, Taylor Hampshire, Luke Bowen, Tony Atkin, Rob Suttleworth, Ben Hopwood & Adam Roynon who are all in the same boat and need somebody to moan on their behalfs also.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Agreed not exactly the future of the sport. Them's the rules and that's the way it is however shock horror there is one moaner so in the interests of fairness im just off to start threads about Tom Woolley, Dan Greenwood, Mark Baseby, Paul Hurry, Taylor Hampshire, Luke Bowen, Tony Atkin, Rob Suttleworth, Ben Hopwood & Adam Roynon who are all in the same boat and need somebody to moan on their behalfs also.

Not sure your list of riders in the same boat as David is very accurate. Mark Baseby has retired, Taylor Hampshire is taking time out and I am sure Adam Roynan isn't fit yet. 

2 minutes ago, Great Central said:

Not sure your list of riders in the same boat as David is very accurate. Mark Baseby has retired, Taylor Hampshire is taking time out and I am sure Adam Roynan isn't fit yet. 

Fair point although Baseby "retired" due to lack of team place/high average and Hampshire "took a break/got the hump" for the same reason. 

Fact is Wally couldn't hold down his team place for a full season yet again and has to pay the price just like any other rider.

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Fair point although Baseby "retired" due to lack of team place/high average and Hampshire "took a break/got the hump" for the same reason. 

Fact is Wally couldn't hold down his team place for a full season yet again and has to pay the price just like any other rider.

There were plenty of rumours last year that it was Baseby's last season; long before it was known the Eagles would be going up a level

Wallinger agreed to sign for Plymouth then went back on that agreement as far as I know. Can't say I "like" the way things get conducted these days in speedway. So many changes in rules and riders etc. Don't forget Henry Atkins was going to sign for Plymouth as well before he was injured. Think he had put pen to paper but was null and void because of his injury. We could do with a new no 3 but not sure I'd trust Mr Wallinger to come even if he said he would.

"As far as I know "....so you don't know the truth and are just gossiping.

My point is the rule is stupid. Replace Wallinger's name with Macauley Leek, dropped because his average is too high and now in the same position as Wallinger, not allowed to guest in any team as he's not in a team......ridiculous!

• Like 1

Not to mention the likes of Jamie Couzins, William O Keefe, who have a 2.something average and cant get a team place, cant take guest bookings, and cant ride as a 2.0 unattatched rider....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Not to mention the likes of Jamie Couzins, William O Keefe, who have a 2.something average and cant get a team place, cant take guest bookings, and cant ride as a 2.0 unattatched rider....

Agreed. Riders in that situation who its a little harder on as they were eligible last year until the rule change although in all fairness Jamie isn't keen on travel and William has ridden for almost every team in the league.

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

"As far as I know "....so you don't know the truth and are just gossiping.

My point is the rule is stupid. Replace Wallinger's name with Macauley Leek, dropped because his average is too high and now in the same position as Wallinger, not allowed to guest in any team as he's not in a team......ridiculous!

Replace as far as i know with as quoted by the Plymouth promotion. 

Anyway as it stands i do think its wrong that riders without team places cannot guest within the NL. I would even go as far to say that these riders could even get a reduction to promote the use of unattached riders but the rules are as they are (for this season at least). There have been plenty of better riders who have faded into the background due to the classic numbers game and i suspect that will continue its just the nature of the sport