British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fortythirtyeight

David Wallinger Ludicrous situation.

This is where this league falls down taking itself too seriously.

Rolling averages at this level doesn’t help either it’s more about current form so a last 6 matches count back perhaps should be determining team strength with no limit.

4 hours ago, GWC said:

Rolling averages at this level doesn’t help either it’s more about current form so a last 6 matches count back perhaps should be determining team strength with no limit.

Actually, I think this is where this league is finally getting itself sorted and returning to the development league it was always meant to be. There shouldn’t really be places for 35 year olds when there are younger riders available. 

• Like 2

The top brass at the BSPA made it clear last year that the NL was to be a development league and not a bona fide 3rd division. 

It will mean over time there is no place for riders of the David Wallinger ilk.

Therein lies the problem. A 'weak' NDL is not such a good attraction and support will wane = fewer NDL clubs. 

It's a fine line. They solved part of the problem last year by getting Eastbourne and Birmingham to go up - two of the big beasts. If they drag Kent up next winter, where does that leave the NDL and teams, for example, like Mildenhall, Stoke, Plymouth who (it would appear) cannot sustain Championship level speedway at the moment.

However, why should fans of those clubs be deprived of their sport?

No offense to the lad but if he was any good he wouldn’t have been dropped in the first place. 

20 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

No offense to the lad but if he was any good he wouldn’t have been dropped in the first place. 

What a pathetic comment not everybody  can become world class, he has been released by Mildenhall so if he gets booking's he should be able to honour them.People have been saying for years this sport has pathetic rules in place , more attention should be going towards promoting the sport and making sure people are getting  value for money and being entertained.

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

What a pathetic comment not everybody  can become world class, he has been released by Mildenhall so if he gets booking's he should be able to honour them.People have been saying for years this sport has pathetic rules in place , more attention should be going towards promoting the sport and making sure people are getting  value for money and being entertained.

Chris Holder isn’t attached anywhere. Should he be allowed to guest wherever suits him? Or any rider like Iversen, Tai, Pedersen etc

Or does it, in fact, make sense that you need to be in a 1-7?

7 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Chris Holder isn’t attached anywhere. Should he be allowed to guest wherever suits him? Or any rider like Iversen, Tai, Pedersen etc

Or does it, in fact, make sense that you need to be in a 1-7?

God man this is the NL young uns like Kemp, and a endless amount of young talent are getting opportunities there has to be a mix though. For example Wallinger gets released at Mildenhall gets a guest booking at Scunthorpe why stop him ? madness this sport is obsessed with rules Chris Holder and David Wallinger is not a great example to put your point across.

Edited by Sidney the robin

25 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

God man this is the NL young uns like Kemp, and a endless amount of young talent are getting opportunities there has to be a mix though. For example Wallinger gets released at Mildenhall gets a guest booking at Scunthorpe why stop him ? madness this sport is obsessed with rules Chris Holder and David Wallinger is not a great example to put your point across.

On the contrary. Wallinger is 35 and going nowhere. The sport needs to encourage riders who can contribute to the future. There’s not many of those who are without team places and they should be the ones encouraged to improve themselves by taking guest bookings, not guys who are going nowhere. With apologies to Mr Wallinger - who I don’t know and doubt if I’ve ever seen ride - at 35,  he must simply be riding for his own benefit, rather than because he wants to develop his career. 

10 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

On the contrary. Wallinger is 35 and going nowhere. The sport needs to encourage riders who can contribute to the future. There’s not many of those who are without team places and they should be the ones encouraged to improve themselves by taking guest bookings, not guys who are going nowhere. With apologies to Mr Wallinger - who I don’t know and doubt if I’ve ever seen ride - at 35,  he must simply be riding for his own benefit, rather than because he wants to develop his career. 

Totally missing the point my point was he was released by Mildenhall  but why wouldn't he be able to take a guest  booking or a individual  meeting elsewhere.??? I am with you on youngsters yes they  should get priority everytime but are you saying the likes of Ledwith,Bowen, Perry,  Wilson, etc) are going nowhere and should be deprived of a place there has to be a balance.The NL is in a great place right now with Rowe,Palin, Thompson twins, Spooner,  Ablitt, Pavitt, Gilkes, Kelly,Wirtzfield,Rathbone ( etc) all coming through. My main gripe is the sport has endless unnecessary rules that are   in place your theory is that Wallinger is going nowhere but nobody stopped  the likes of Jimmy Schibb, Ken Mckinlay,Malc Holloway ( etc ) doing a job and contributing at a lower level in the past.

7 hours ago, GWC said:

Rolling averages at this level doesn’t help either

The NDL doesn't use rolling averages....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally missing the point my point was he was released by Mildenhall  but why wouldn't he be able to take a guest  booking or a individual  meeting elsewhere.??? I am with you on youngsters yes they  should get priority everytime but are you saying the likes of Ledwith,Bowen, Perry,  Wilson, etc) are going nowhere and should be deprived of a place there has to be a balance.The NL is in a great place right now with Rowe,Palin, Thompson twins, Spooner,  Ablitt, Pavitt, Gilkes, Kelly,Wirtzfield,Rathbone ( etc) all coming through. My main gripe is the sport has endless unnecessary rules that are   in place your theory is that Wallinger is going nowhere but nobody stopped  the likes of Jimmy Schibb, Ken Mckinlay,Malc Holloway ( etc ) doing a job and contributing at a lower level in the past.

Actually yes. Maybe not Perry, but certainly Ledwith (late 40s!) Bowen (30 - but not riding) and Wilson (I assume you mean Ben, aged 33) should be “encouraged” to find an amateur league they can have a bit of a skid in, but leave the development league for developing new British riders. 

For the sake of survival, we need two leagues in this country - a feeder league populated by teams that can’t make ends meet at a higher level, a league which pays expenses and nothing more, and a balanced professional league, largely filled with Brits, that can entertain the fans. If that league becomes a feeder to Poland, so be it, but we need to recognise that there is no other professional motor sport that pays a decent living to riders learning their trade. 

Promoters and fans have been subsidising these riders long enough. Time for them to start earning a living in as hard a way as do most supporters. 

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Everyone is allowed an opinion and in truth he isn’t going to get any better is he? Everyone complains that speedway bends the rules but now there sticking to the rules you are still not happy? For arguments sake say Craig cook got released for some reason would you say for example Chris holder could guest because he was unattached? And that the guest booking should be honoured? 

5 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Everyone is allowed an opinion and in truth he isn’t going to get any better is he? Everyone complains that speedway bends the rules but now there sticking to the rules you are still not happy? For arguments sake say Craig cook got released for some reason would you say for example Chris holder could guest because he was unattached? And that the guest booking should be honoured? 

Your opinion is respected and valid , my only criticism was you were criticising the level of the rider every rider has my utter  respect.whatever the level they are.

Edited by Sidney the robin

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Your opinion is respected and valid , my only criticism was you were criticising the level of the rider every rider has my utter  respect.whatever the level they are.

Yeah I understand that but Wallinger has been around the same average for the past 2/3 seasons I don’t think he will get any better and he’s hardly a youngster. 

20 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Actually yes. Maybe not Perry, but certainly Ledwith (late 40s!) Bowen (30 - but not riding) and Wilson (I assume you mean Ben, aged 33) should be “encouraged” to find an amateur league they can have a bit of a skid in, but leave the development league for developing new British riders. 

For the sake of survival, we need two leagues in this country - a feeder league populated by teams that can’t make ends meet at a higher level, a league which pays expenses and nothing more, and a balanced professional league, largely filled with Brits, that can entertain the fans. If that league becomes a feeder to Poland, so be it, but we need to recognise that there is no other professional motor sport that pays a decent living to riders learning their trade. 

Promoters and fans have been subsidising these riders long enough. Time for them to start earning a living in as hard a way as do most supporters. 

Without the likes of those riders  named the league would be a sham, those older riders also give help and there guidance to the younger riders.As i see it no younger riders are missing out at the moment it is a great time for the UK for developing talent the future looks bright.The NL as I see it have a great balance and the league is a good product in its own right also do you think Danny Ayres is to old.? 

• Like 2