British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fortythirtyeight

David Wallinger Ludicrous situation.

10 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Yeah I understand that but Wallinger has been around the same average for the past 2/3 seasons I don’t think he will get any better and he’s hardly a youngster. 

I think the this is one of the few areas where the reduction in points limit has worked to an extent as the idea at least was to force riders to improve, move up or move out. My biggest gripe with the NL is often the amount of riders who tread water for season after season and ultimately block up team places for others who are trying to break into the sport. The top guys (who all had to start somewhere) do have things to offer but the middling guys / persistent slow burners are what needs addressing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Without the likes of those riders  named the league would be a sham, those older riders also give help and there guidance to the younger riders.As i see it no younger riders are missing out at the moment it is a great time for the UK for developing talent the future looks bright.The NL as I see it have a great balance and the league is a good product in its own right also do you think Danny Ayres is to old.? 

think you have it spot on there Sidney. the national league is a good product with a mix of more experienced riders passing on their knowledge and help to the youngsters. then the cream will rise to the top and the more talented riders will move up and so the circle starts again. others who for whatever reason don,t move up are there ready for the next batch. when I left school I started work as an apprentice and learned my skills off the senior men and that is the way it happens in all walks of life. so I say hurrah for the middle of the road riders who want to go out and enjoy their racing while passing on tips to the young starters. I do not think having a team of seven youngsters would not be a good product to sell to the public. for me I always look forward to the likes of danny ayres coming to lock horns with our boys each to their own but for me the national league is doing just fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, porkypotter said:

think you have it spot on there Sidney. the national league is a good product with a mix of more experienced riders passing on their knowledge and help to the youngsters. then the cream will rise to the top and the more talented riders will move up and so the circle starts again. others who for whatever reason don,t move up are there ready for the next batch. when I left school I started work as an apprentice and learned my skills off the senior men and that is the way it happens in all walks of life. so I say hurrah for the middle of the road riders who want to go out and enjoy their racing while passing on tips to the young starters. I do not think having a team of seven youngsters would not be a good product to sell to the public. for me I always look forward to the likes of danny ayres coming to lock horns with our boys each to their own but for me the national league is doing just fine.

For me Porky when the likes of Kemp can regularly beat the likes of a Roynon, Ayres type he moves on.Kemp has and to be fair he is not totally dominant at this level but is now in a hard top 5 at champs level.But for me the NL is certainly better now than when i watched the Conference league.It  is great when a Kemp/ Rowe/ Palin / Bickley ( ect) makes  progress the NL is doing it's job and with  Vatcher at the helm of youth speedway the future looks bright Neil has done a great job.

10 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Without the likes of those riders  named the league would be a sham, those older riders also give help and there guidance to the younger riders.As i see it no younger riders are missing out at the moment it is a great time for the UK for developing talent the future looks bright.The NL as I see it have a great balance and the league is a good product in its own right also do you think Danny Ayres is to old.? 

The difference with Danny Ayres is that he’s managing to hold down a Championship League place of course. 

I take your point on having an experienced older rider in the team, but, in my view, that should be a rider who has recently held a position in a more senior team or successfully raced in the top league. That would include riders like Carl Wilkinson or Adam Roynon, but not Ledwith, Wallinger or Wilson. 

It is my view that part of the problems in UK, problems that are only now being addressed, stemmed from allowing the training league to go professional. This then encouraged teams to strengthen thereby restricting opportunities for “beginners” to move into teams. It took two things to change that - a ready supply of new riders, helped hugely by Neil Vatcher and the amazing success of the British Youth Championship, and a restriction on team building at development level. 

For me, the next stage is to go to two leagues with the top league being slightly stronger than the current CL, maybe built to whatever points the top team in this year’s CL achieve, and a development league that pays away match travel expenses only. 

That way, the Buxtons, Mildenhalls, Stokes, IOWs of this world can function successfully (and maybe be a fiver a head entry) while the top league can provide opportunities and a financial incentive for more riders to move up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

The difference with Danny Ayres is that he’s managing to hold down a Championship League place of course. 

I take your point on having an experienced older rider in the team, but, in my view, that should be a rider who has recently held a position in a more senior team or successfully raced in the top league. That would include riders like Carl Wilkinson or Adam Roynon, but not Ledwith, Wallinger or Wilson. 

It is my view that part of the problems in UK, problems that are only now being addressed, stemmed from allowing the training league to go professional. This then encouraged teams to strengthen thereby restricting opportunities for “beginners” to move into teams. It took two things to change that - a ready supply of new riders, helped hugely by Neil Vatcher and the amazing success of the British Youth Championship, and a restriction on team building at development level. 

For me, the next stage is to go to two leagues with the top league being slightly stronger than the current CL, maybe built to whatever points the top team in this year’s CL achieve, and a development league that pays away match travel expenses only. 

That way, the Buxtons, Mildenhalls, Stokes, IOWs of this world can function successfully (and maybe be a fiver a head entry) while the top league can provide opportunities and a financial incentive for more riders to move up. 

You make some great points and i totally agree with nearly all of it.My take on it is young riders have to beat the older hands to get even close to competing at champs level the Champs now is a very tough league indeed.If say a Palin was beating only his own age group he  would never progress so he needs to beat the older hands first on a regular basis.

• Like 1

So, unless I have misinterpreted the general trend of opinion on this thread, David Wallinger is not in a ludicrous situation?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lewy said:

Wallinger has signed for plymouth replacing scott Campos 

Crumbs. Will leave it to the Plymouth fans to react to that one.

Wallinger rides the plymouth track well he will make them stronger 

When was the last time the NDL produced a truly world class rider? Its not fit for purpose.. 

Just now, phillipsr said:

When was the last time the NDL produced a truly world class rider? Its not fit for purpose.. 

:mad: Takes deep breath.....when was the last time any league produced a "truly world class rider"? The top riders come from the dedication of themselves, family & friends who pu in all the dirty work both at the start and throughout their careers. Then add in a mixture of fortune, fitness and opportunities opening up at the right times. Add one heck of a big pinch of finances and you have the recipe for a "potential" world class rider. Any club who claims to have produced a world beater is blinkered and ignorant, clubs and leagues all however provide vital stepping stones in riders progress. It could be argued that the NDL like every other league contributes to every riders success due to its very existence.

42 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Forgetting Woffinden then?

• Like 1