British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

NL Fours 7th July (now 13th)

I have to agree with those saying that Stoke, on their own track, look dark horses. BV and Kent don’t look bad either. 

11 hours ago, Islander15 said:

I have to agree with those saying that Stoke, on their own track, look dark horses. BV and Kent don’t look bad either. 

to be fair there is not much home advantage at stoke and most of the top boys ride it very well. I think if luke priest can grab a few points then yes we should be a match for most teams but anything can happen on the day. just hope it is a great success and everyone goes home happy. come on the potters.

18 minutes ago, porkypotter said:

to be fair there is not much home advantage at stoke and most of the top boys ride it very well. I think if luke priest can grab a few points then yes we should be a match for most teams but anything can happen on the day. just hope it is a great success and everyone goes home happy. come on the potters.

Home advantage still is home advantage, just ask Peterborough’s Fours teams. 

Do not know why these types of meetings can not be held at neutral tracks  ?

4 hours ago, waco said:

You mean like King’s Lynn?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, waco said:

It is the best solution but I think the BSPA have had their fingers burnt a couple of times by poor attendances.

Having home support virtually guaranteed is a good start that isn't always going to be the case at a neutral venue. Its why I am slightly surprised that the Pairs are at Sheffield, especially given that at least half of the NL clubs are over 150 miles away.  To be fair, it might have been a case of simply being unable to get anyone else to take it on.

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It is the best solution but I think the BSPA have had their fingers burnt a couple of times by poor attendances.

Having home support virtually guaranteed is a good start that isn't always going to be the case at a neutral venue. Its why I am slightly surprised that the Pairs are at Sheffield, especially given that at least half of the NL clubs are over 150 miles away.  To be fair, it might have been a case of simply being unable to get anyone else to take it on.

It would be nice if the BSPA actually published some genuine figures for these events to see if they are viable at neutral venues or not? Even the choosing of Stoke is a little odd as its not well supported compared to other NL tracks (although i do accept there were limited options especially now the NL is such a midweek league). 

4 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

It would be nice if the BSPA actually published some genuine figures for these events to see if they are viable at neutral venues or not? Even the choosing of Stoke is a little odd as its not well supported compared to other NL tracks (although i do accept there were limited options especially now the NL is such a midweek league). 

I think what did them was a disastrous attendance at a PLRC at Swindon a few years ago(albeit that the crowd was affected by a major accident on the M4). Stoke is at least accessible for Belle Vue, Leicester and Cradley and the gate the other week against the heathens was the biggest I have seen there for years. As I said, neutral is best but I can appreciate why that doesn't happen. It'll be interesting to see how many Sheffield pull in.

• Like 2

Stoke ,,IOW ,,Mildenhall and Kent,,to the final...I bet that those involved are pleased to be getting two more rides each what ever the final result,,it is tough to go to any meeting for just two rides and in Clegg,s case tonight none.....Anything can happen in the final good luck to all the riders ,and stay safe......

On 7/12/2019 at 4:38 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

didnt they ask poole?? lol

Congratulations to Stoke from a Rye House fan. I thought you were the best team  especially as IOW got 2 gimme points from Fellows but I must say I thought that Wood actually nicked it on the line in the last race. Still I hoped you would win before the meeting and I still believe you deserved to.

Bad luck to Kent, hope Ledwith and Rowe are only counting bruises.

Finally impressed with Lawlor and well done to Thompson D on winning his last race at such a young age.

Well done Mr Pipe i enjoyed the day out. People have asked for more for their entrance money & they got it. A good band, bouncy castle for the kids etc etc. 

Overall i thought the racing was pretty good & with 3 clubs level going into the final heat it couldn't have ended better. Well done to Stoke on your width of a tyre win!.

On the minus side. Why can't teams take their 5th best rider as reserve? As happened to Kent last night, Ledwith was taken to hospital in his 1st ride & with a random unattached rider at reserve meant Kent had 3 riders from the off!!   With Anders injured in his 2nd ride Kent went into the final with 2 riders!!

Despite the tedious journey up there If the final is held at Stoke next year i will be going for sure.

The fact that the meeting went to the last heat with 3 teams level, and the winner was only decided in a photo-finish on the line, will probably see this meeting claimed to be a success, but the reality is that it was a poor advert for the NL.

The track caused numerous accidents, and it was lucky that Rob Ledwith was the only one badly hurt.  Len Silver didn't seem too pleased that he may have lost Ledwith and Rowe from Monday's meeting.

Some of the accidents coming out of the second bend were frightening to see.   Thank goodness most were able to walk away as none were rider error, all were riders picking up on the inconsistent soft patches.   The hole in the third bend wasn't as bad, but still claimed its fair share of victims.    Did Max Clegg touch the tapes both times on purpose to avoid having to ride the track?

Near two-and-a-half hours to complete the 16 group heats because of the accidents and two appearances of the ambulance meant the final was in danger of being beaten by the curfew, but some track work during the short break before the final improved things.  If the track had been the same for the first 16 heat as it was for the final it wouldn't have been a bad meeting, but sadly it was poor.

Congratulations to Stoke, commiserations to I.O.W, and best wishes to those injured

Sounds like an exciting climax to the meeting and what ever the if,s and but,s and maybe,s.the result is just that,,Personally thrilled to see IOW do so well and our Ben Morley getting a four. Ride max on his new bike set up,which in fact goes back to last season at Lakeside

• Like 1

Waco it was a typical Morley performance at this level, just don't understand why he cant move on as at this level he dominates riders whom do better than him at Championship level.

But all in all a first class performance last night.

Any idea what the crowd was last night? it seemed not far short of 1,000, is that normal for Stoke?

Edited by Rayleigh