British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

NL Fours 7th July (now 13th)

8 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Waco it was a typical Morley performance at this level, just don't understand why he cant move on as at this level he dominates riders whom do better than him at Championship level.

But all in all a first class performance last night.

Any idea what the crowd was last night? it seemed not far short of 1,000, is that normal for Stoke?

I'd say that was an excellent attendance for Stoke. I saw Kent there earlier in the season, and the crowd was a fraction of that.

Then well done Stoke for on putting on the fours,Was my number realistic in your opinion?

22 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Well done Mr Pipe i enjoyed the day out. People have asked for more for their entrance money & they got it. A good band, bouncy castle for the kids etc etc. 

Overall i thought the racing was pretty good & with 3 clubs level going into the final heat it couldn't have ended better. Well done to Stoke on your width of a tyre win!.

On the minus side. Why can't teams take their 5th best rider as reserve? As happened to Kent last night, Ledwith was taken to hospital in his 1st ride & with a random unattached rider at reserve meant Kent had 3 riders from the off!!   With Anders injured in his 2nd ride Kent went into the final with 2 riders!!

Despite the tedious journey up there If the final is held at Stoke next year i will be going for sure.

Did Kent have the option to take their 5th best rider or eligible reserve like the other teams? I believe the choice was to not take one as the reserves require expenses paid just like a competing rider. Once agiain it bit Kent when penny pinching but it wasn't their day anyway. 

Well done Stoke, commiserations IOW and great effort Mildenhall.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Did Kent have the option to take their 5th best rider or eligible reserve like the other teams? I believe the choice was to not take one as the reserves require expenses paid just like a competing rider. Once agiain it bit Kent when penny pinching but it wasn't their day anyway. 

Well done Stoke, commiserations IOW and great effort Mildenhall.

It was my understanding the reserve had to be a 2 point rider or start the season as a 2 point rider. It maybe that a reserve can take part I'm really not sure of the rule but as Kent have both their 2 pointers/reserves on the sidelines they had to borrow one & In fairness to Bailey Fellows he gave it 100%.  It just seemed odd that a team can't take their 5th best rider as a reserve. It would mean that if a team were to lose a rider (as happened to Kent) they would still have a chance in the competition.

Not sure what you mean by once again biting Kent while penny pinching? When have they penny pinched in an important meeting like that?

Just for reference Spooner made his own way up to watch Kent at Stoke while he was injured,  I'm sure if he was asked to make his own way up in case he gets a ride at reserve he would not have had a problem doing that.

14 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

It was my understanding the reserve had to be a 2 point rider or start the season as a 2 point rider. It maybe that a reserve can take part I'm really not sure of the rule but as Kent have both their 2 pointers/reserves on the sidelines they had to borrow one & In fairness to Bailey Fellows he gave it 100%.  It just seemed odd that a team can't take their 5th best rider as a reserve. It would mean that if a team were to lose a rider (as happened to Kent) they would still have a chance in the competition.

Not sure what you mean by once again biting Kent while penny pinching? When have they penny pinched in an important meeting like that?

Just for reference Spooner made his own way up to watch Kent at Stoke while he was injured,  I'm sure if he was asked to make his own way up in case he gets a ride at reserve he would not have had a problem doing that.

Im not going to disagree about the reserve rider ruling and it would make more sense to take a 5th team member but as per the regs it was any rider under 3.00, as per the green sheets Jacob Clouting is in the 1-7 and only gets an average of 3.16 effective today. 

There is definitely a difference in travelling to a meeting to watch and travelling with bikes, getting setup, changed in the heat when the chances of getting a ride are slim.

As for penny pinching im not sure if any meeting is deemed more or less important than the other but Kent opted not to book a guest at number 1 when they travelled to Plymouth for the NT at the start of the season and it cost them with a zero return from R/R.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im not going to disagree about the reserve rider ruling and it would make more sense to take a 5th team member but as per the regs it was any rider under 3.00, as per the green sheets Jacob Clouting is in the 1-7 and only gets an average of 3.16 effective today. 

There is definitely a difference in travelling to a meeting to watch and travelling with bikes, getting setup, changed in the heat when the chances of getting a ride are slim.

As for penny pinching im not sure if any meeting is deemed more or less important than the other but Kent opted not to book a guest at number 1 when they travelled to Plymouth for the NT at the start of the season and it cost them with a zero return from R/R.

I totally agree, to go to any match with r/r at No 1 seems suicidal.   Like you i thought it was to save money, as i didn't agree with it i asked the management before the match if it was for economy reasons & was assured it was purely that LEN thought we could win using our own riders. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, CottonOn said:

The fact that the meeting went to the last heat with 3 teams level, and the winner was only decided in a photo-finish on the line, will probably see this meeting claimed to be a success, but the reality is that it was a poor advert for the NL.

The track caused numerous accidents, and it was lucky that Rob Ledwith was the only one badly hurt.  Len Silver didn't seem too pleased that he may have lost Ledwith and Rowe from Monday's meeting.

Some of the accidents coming out of the second bend were frightening to see.   Thank goodness most were able to walk away as none were rider error, all were riders picking up on the inconsistent soft patches.   The hole in the third bend wasn't as bad, but still claimed its fair share of victims.    Did Max Clegg touch the tapes both times on purpose to avoid having to ride the track?

Near two-and-a-half hours to complete the 16 group heats because of the accidents and two appearances of the ambulance meant the final was in danger of being beaten by the curfew, but some track work during the short break before the final improved things.  If the track had been the same for the first 16 heat as it was for the final it wouldn't have been a bad meeting, but sadly it was poor.

Congratulations to Stoke, commiserations to I.O.W, and best wishes to those injured

Cannot see that Max Clegg touched the tapes deliberately as he is virtually unbeatable around Stoke as he attacks the Track regardless as shown in the amount of Maximums he gets round there. Think he might have had Clutch trouble.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, CottonOn said:

The fact that the meeting went to the last heat with 3 teams level, and the winner was only decided in a photo-finish on the line, will probably see this meeting claimed to be a success, but the reality is that it was a poor advert for the NL.

The track caused numerous accidents, and it was lucky that Rob Ledwith was the only one badly hurt.  Len Silver didn't seem too pleased that he may have lost Ledwith and Rowe from Monday's meeting.

Some of the accidents coming out of the second bend were frightening to see.   Thank goodness most were able to walk away as none were rider error, all were riders picking up on the inconsistent soft patches.   The hole in the third bend wasn't as bad, but still claimed its fair share of victims.    Did Max Clegg touch the tapes both times on purpose to avoid having to ride the track?

Near two-and-a-half hours to complete the 16 group heats because of the accidents and two appearances of the ambulance meant the final was in danger of being beaten by the curfew, but some track work during the short break before the final improved things.  If the track had been the same for the first 16 heat as it was for the final it wouldn't have been a bad meeting, but sadly it was poor.

Congratulations to Stoke, commiserations to I.O.W, and best wishes to those injured

I disagree. I thought this was a decent meeting. The track was definitely better for the final, though.

I count 9 fallers. Not good, but there were 6 at Mildenhall yesterday, 5 at Plymouth on Friday and 5 at Isle of Wight on Thursday, all from 15 heats. That's about the same. 

I thought that in the final there was some highly entertaining racing, made even better by the knife edge closeness of the teams. 

Certainly wouldn't put me off going to Stoke again, quite the opposite in fact. 

If you read through all this thread there were a lot of doubters  calmed that this meeting would be a disaster at Stoke. 

Well they were all wrong. The ref got on with it, the track held up (a little wet to start with) the track staff worked wonders fixing the back straight fence when broken, the generator worked all night & a last heat decider all within curfew. 

9 hours ago, pete cc said:

If you read through all this thread there were a lot of doubters  calmed that this meeting would be a disaster at Stoke. 

Well they were all wrong. The ref got on with it, the track held up (a little wet to start with) the track staff worked wonders fixing the back straight fence when broken, the generator worked all night & a last heat decider all within curfew. 

a very fair assessment pete. an excellent meeting. for me most of the crashes were by over riding as is the case in most of these big meetings and nobody wanted to give an inch. so for me it is a big well done to Jason pipe and his helpers and to dave tattum and his team for putting on a fantastic event. before the meeting I thought that luke priest could be the weak link for the potters but he proved me wrong and played a blinder and had his best meeting for a good while so to then get injured the very next day just proves what a cruel master speedway can be at times. anyway its a big well done to the potters and onwards and upwards for the whole team at stoke.

Can anyone confirm if the NL Pairs is still being held at Stoke on 11th August, and what time tapes up? Thanks

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The BSPA say it`s at  Sheffield on August 25th  http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/nlpairs

Sheffield agree 5.30pm

Thanks, their fixture list still shows it at Stoke! Glad I didn't book accommodation.