British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Ipswich Vs Kings Lynn Thursday 20th June

Agree,, has done good so far,,,,, I was unsure to start with, but he has certainly kept  me in my place.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Think its worth in the cold light of day giving Dickie a special mention for last nights performance

Since his move to No1 he really has stepped up. The poor night at Lynn on Monday couldve caused some to doubt. Instead he was determined to make amends and did it and more besides :t:

Awesome Lawson was an extremely popular rider at Lakeside, one of the most popular we have ever had because he never gives up even when it’s not his night, I always look out for his scores and do intend getting along to a Ipswich home match at some point, it’s a canny team they have there and it’s about time Witches had something to cheer about.

• Like 2

Popped along last night. Very good result for the Witches, even better that the Stars ended up with nothing despite it being pretty tight until the end. However the 'racing' was dire. All decided by the second bend apart from three occasions, when Cook barged his way past Heeps in the last heat, Lawson nipping past Lambert whilst he was looking round for King and the best race of the night, the battle for third between Jorgensen and Procter in heat three, half a straight behind the Witches pair. Anyone trying a blast round the outside simply went backwards, just one line, follow the leader stuff. 

It meant yet another long drive home feeling that I hadn't been entertained and why did I bother. Good results are important but the racing has got to be the main reason for going. If it was just about the result you might as well sit at home and use the excellent update service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, tellboy said:

With 9 heat winners i am a bit disappointed not to have got at least a point tonight.On the upside Kerr getting 4 wins is hopefully a return to form for him.

Hopefully 2 changes for Lynn for July to makes us really competetive.If say we had Riss back for Proctor and Douglas for S.Lambert that would do for me.

Who was that practicing at Lynn Monday?

Jake Mulford young Norfolk grasstracker, got a lot of potential

On 6/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Shrub said:

Popped along last night. Very good result for the Witches, even better that the Stars ended up with nothing despite it being pretty tight until the end. However the 'racing' was dire. All decided by the second bend apart from three occasions, when Cook barged his way past Heeps in the last heat, Lawson nipping past Lambert whilst he was looking round for King and the best race of the night, the battle for third between Jorgensen and Procter in heat three, half a straight behind the Witches pair. Anyone trying a blast round the outside simply went backwards, just one line, follow the leader stuff. 

It meant yet another long drive home feeling that I hadn't been entertained and why did I bother. Good results are important but the racing has got to be the main reason for going. If it was just about the result you might as well sit at home and use the excellent update service.

The word dire crops up so often that the word racing should be dropped from the title of "Speedway racing". And the intractability of promoters to accept that that is the case and is at the heart of what is driving people away from the sport. Interest dies for the majority when there is no "racing" part of speedway racing. When will the BSPA wake up and see that unless the quality of racing improves extinction looms for UK speedway?

I watched the first round of the World Under 21 Championship yesterday and there were three passes ( after the first half lap ) in the whole meeting and just as is mentioned above, the track allowed the very best of the worlds "young guns" NO chance of racing - just to take part in a high-speed procession. Thankfully I did not travel all the way to Lublin to watch it.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, Shrub said:

I have lost count of the number of times I have travelled to Ipswich to watch the Stars.  Despite the fact we usually lost,  each time was enjoyed because the racing was always competitive. 

Sadly that's not the case anymore.    With super fast bikes and grippy tracks it appears now the sport has descended into  gate and go exercise .     Yesterday I looked through a old programme from 1979  we lost at the Witches 42 -36,  but there were overtaking in 11 of the 13 heats.  only 4 races were won from the gate...…  How times have changed...

Personally I would rather lose  an  exciting  meeting  with  lots of close racing, then watching a  guaranteed win on a grippy track with follow the leader all the time... 

2 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Sadly that's not the case anymore.    With super fast bikes and grippy tracks it appears now the sport has descended into  gate and go exercise .     Yesterday I looked through a old programme from 1979  we lost at the Witches 42 -36,  but there were overtaking in 11 of the 13 heats.  only 4 races were won from the gate...…  How times have changed...

Mr Webb, you are at it again! You will be joining the club of dinosaur supporters I am in ( who remember the last century ). You know the deniers are adamant that it is Just As Good Now - as then ( ha ha - of course not ) it must be better now because it is so much faster! Look at the Saddlebow Rd track record!

Why would even the die-hards put up with Gate & Go - constantly, let alone new young fans. There is nothing to watch after the first half lap ( in the vast majority of cases ). So why not have 50 races in a match - over one lap - if Gate & Go is all we can ever watch? Is Gate & Go what the BSPA feels they want to sell nowadays?

On 6/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Shrub said:

Yes it was poor 'racing' I tweeted Chris Louis about it but haven't heard back ... not totally surprised but hope he read it ...

57 minutes ago, g13webb said:

but there were overtaking in 11 of the 13 heats.  only 4 races were won from the gate...…  How times have changed...

So in the good old days, even 2 of the gate-n-go-races, won from the gate with no passing, had overtaking?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, First Bend Bunching said:

Jake Mulford young Norfolk grasstracker, got a lot of potential

Looked a quick and tidy rider.

12 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

So in the good old days, even 2 of the gate-n-go-races, won from the gate with no passing, had overtaking?  

People do get a bit stuck back in the good old days.I liked it because there were bigger crowds,better atmosphere,more villain riders and i was younger:D.The actual racing wasn't as good as some of them pretend it to be,they have just got carried away with the above and your mind thought automatically thinks the racing was excellent.I look back on several old meetings from the 70's,80's and the racing was maybe slightly better but not as good as some pretend it to be.

It's a bit like Cardiff,i love it for the atmosphere and big crowd.But you get home and watch it again and think did i really enjoy the racing the answer would be no but you just get carried away with everything else.A bit like in the good old days really.

Edited by tellboy

Webbo does enhance my Sunday mornings with his postings.

What I struggle to understand is why he spends his hard earned on going to Speedway.  Is the guy some kind of masochist ? ;)

9 minutes ago, tellboy said:

People do get a bit stuck back in the good old days.I liked it because there were bigger crowds,better atmosphere,more villain riders and i was younger:D.The actual racing wasn't as good as some of them pretend it to be,they have just got carried away with the above and your mind thought automatically thinks the racing was excellent.I look back on several old meetings from the 70's,80's and the racing was maybe slightly better but not as good as some pretend it to be.

It's a bit like Cardiff,i love it for the atmosphere and big crowd.But you get home and  watch it again and think did i really enjoy the racing the answer would be no but you just get carried away with everything else.A bit like in the good old days really.

You're spot on with all you say, but I was just querying how a 13 heat match could have 11 heats with passing and 4 heats with no passing...

6 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

You're spot on with all you say, but I was just querying how a 13 heat match could have 11 heats with passing and 4 heats with no passing...

Because a pass doesnt have to be for first place.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

That's why i liked your post,i understood what you said.I just got a bit carried away with how some people view the good old days.And that wasn't you by the way.