British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Ipswich Vs Kings Lynn Thursday 20th June

21 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Because a pass doesnt have to be for first place.....

Didn't say it did.    Just said you can't have 11 heats with passing and 4 heats with no overtaking in a 13 heat match.

44 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Didn't say it did.    Just said you can't have 11 heats with passing and 4 heats with no overtaking in a 13 heat match.

But g13webb didn't say there were 4 heats with no overtaking, he did say " 4 heats were won from the gate " So in 2 of them there was passing for the minor places.

13 - 4 = 9 + 2 = 11 Heats with overtaking.

Edited by LesR
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

We don’t have 13 heat matches or am I missing something?

30 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

We don’t have 13 heat matches or am I missing something?

1979 you did:wink:.In 1980 the same match i've just seen 5 races with one overtake after the 2nd bend how much difference a year makes:P.

Just now, tellboy said:

1979 you did:wink:.In 1980 the same match i've just seen 5 races with one overtake after the 2nd bend how much difference a year makes:P.

Yes I remember the good old days of 40-38 happiness. People still forget there was a lot of strung out races as well tho back then!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

You're spot on with all you say, but I was just querying how a 13 heat match could have 11 heats with passing and 4 heats with no passing...

Some of the so called punters can be really thick at times.   I use to  fill my program in with all positional changes and also who made the gates.    in the comment I posted, I said there were 11 races where  overtaking happened,    and only 4 races were won from the gate.     I never said there were 4 races with no overtaking, that was purely an assumption that other posters thought I said.   As it turned out  John louis won 2 of his races from the gate and their was no positional changes in those.     Billy Saunders and Michael Lee both gated and won a race  but in each case there was overtaking in 3rd to 2nd positions...  

So please don't make out I'm the thick one...…...

4 hours ago, semion said:

Webbo does enhance my Sunday mornings with his postings.

What I struggle to understand is why he spends his hard earned on going to Speedway.  Is the guy some kind of masochist ? ;)

Far from it.     As a  supporter  of over 54 yrs, and am someone who has witness most of the good things in this sport.    It appears that the only posters welcome on here are those who are offensive  or blinded only of what they want to see...

44 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Some of the so called punters can be really thick at times.   I use to  fill my program in with all positional changes and also who made the gates.    in the comment I posted, I said there were 11 races where  overtaking happened,    and only 4 races were won from the gate.     I never said there were 4 races with no overtaking, that was purely an assumption that other posters thought I said.   As it turned out  John louis won 2 of his races from the gate and their was no positional changes in those.     Billy Saunders and Michael Lee both gated and won a race  but in each case there was overtaking in 3rd to 2nd positions...  

So please don't make out I'm the thick one...…...

Far from it.     As a  supporter  of over 54 yrs, and am someone who has witness most of the good things in this sport.   It appears that the only posters welcome on here are those who are offensive  or blinded only of what they want to see...

So that's not really offensive calling people thick:blink:.

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 1

I certainly don't think the racing was any better back in the 70's, just certain tracks are much poorer these days. As many posters have mentioned the bigger crowds and atmosphere generated made it all seem so much more exciting. Though by no means perfect the league was bigger meaning more variety, top star names only visited once or twice a year, giving more incentive to go and the whole package looked more credible; it seemed worth winning back then. The regional early season warm up competition the Spring Gold Cup had more teams in it than the whole top league does now!

Though back then as now the usual consequence of winning the league is the break up of the championship winning side...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shrub said:

I certainly don't think the racing was any better back in the 70's, just certain tracks are much poorer these days. As many posters have mentioned the bigger crowds and atmosphere generated made it all seem so much more exciting. Though by no means perfect the league was bigger meaning more variety, top star names only visited once or twice a year, giving more incentive to go and the whole package looked more credible; it seemed worth winning back then. The regional early season warm up competition the Spring Gold Cup had more teams in it than the whole top league does now!

Though back then as now the usual consequence of winning the league is the break up of the championship winning side...

Unlike some on here,  I don't rubbish other people's opinions  and value what they're opinions are.    I can understand what you say in your post and agree with most of it.    The whole argument about the sport back then to what it is now,  is about the whole package.  It was the main reason why the fans filled the terraces.  The atmosphere was a big draw, coupled with the usual banter exchanged with the other supporters, plus the connection with the riders,    it all made for and enjoyable night out.   The quality of the racing was of a lesser importance,  because of everything else that was enjoyed through the night.    As long as the team was competitive and fought to win,  that all that was asked of the riders.  Most races were tight and the track preparation prompted good close racing...   The Stars were never one of the top teams,  but we always gave a good account of ourselves..

I disagree with people who argue that the racing today is far  better.    The main problem today, is that the terraces are empty, the atmosphere is non-existent and the only positive is the speeding bikes.   Unfortunate that doesn't create good racing,,  most races are spread out in a follow the leader pattern.     if we get 2 or 3 good races in a night, that about it .    

I actually rate Robert Lambert as a world class rider,   but even a man of his immense skills sometimes struggles when behind.     So if he struggles, imagine how hard it is for lesser riders. and that is just one of the reason why the crowds don't go anymore...

If people persist in comparing races of today, then it has to be done fairly.     Of cause we can pick out some exceptional races of today,  but they would be no better than the best from years gone by.  

Racing needs to be much BETTER these days imo, find a way of making it so promoters .....

26 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Unlike some on here,  I don't rubbish other people's opinions  and value what they're opinions are.    I can understand what you say in your post and agree with most of it.    The whole argument about the sport back then to what it is now,  is about the whole package.  It was the main reason why the fans filled the terraces.  The atmosphere was a big draw, coupled with the usual banter exchanged with the other supporters, plus the connection with the riders,    it all made for and enjoyable night out.   The quality of the racing was of a lesser importance,  because of everything else that was enjoyed through the night.    As long as the team was competitive and fought to win,  that all that was asked of the riders.  Most races were tight and the track preparation prompted good close racing...   The Stars were never one of the top teams,  but we always gave a good account of ourselves..

I disagree with people who argue that the racing today is far  better.    The main problem today, is that the terraces are empty, the atmosphere is non-existent and the only positive is the speeding bikes.   Unfortunate that doesn't create good racing,,  most races are spread out in a follow the leader pattern.     if we get 2 or 3 good races in a night, that about it .    

I actually rate Robert Lambert as a world class rider,   but even a man of his immense skills sometimes struggles when behind.     So if he struggles, imagine how hard it is for lesser riders. and that is just one of the reason why the crowds don't go anymore...

If people persist in comparing races of today, then it has to be done fairly.     Of cause we can pick out some exceptional races of today,  but they would be no better than the best from years gone by.  

Agree with most of this, (especially the bit about the Stars not being one of the top teams!). I would say on the whole the racing of today is on a par with the past but then as now it's certain tracks that consistently produce good racing. There were some shocking tracks back in the 70's , Newport and Bristol instantly spring to mind and plenty of strung out races just like today. 

• Like 1