British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

23/06/19.Swindon sprockets v Kent + 2019 Youth Junior championship.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Going by a statement made by Lee Kilby the future of the Sprockets looks in grave doubt.500 was the figure mentioned to cut even and if i hazarded a guess i recon there were 3/400 there.Such a shame a bloody good day out and i  would of paid 18 quid to watch it some good racing and a slick presentation of races in general.Some great young talent on show who give everything and you can ask no more.Hopefully Lee might not give up on it entirely but it has to be viable it really worries me that the crowds are dwindling a real shame.

I have to admit im slightly surprised by the figure but Lee Kilby is switched on and i suspect he is basing those numbers on a strong side rather than just a team featuring in the league? I would think there would need to be additional sponsorship to make it work? Perhaps CFS will throw behind the project like they do the youth rounds and generate a real production line of British talent?

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Going by a statement made by Lee Kilby the future of the Sprockets looks in grave doubt.500 was the figure mentioned to cut even and if i hazarded a guess i recon there were 3/400 there.Such a shame a bloody good day out and i  would of paid 18 quid to watch it some good racing and a slick presentation of races in general.Some great young talent on show who give everything and you can ask no more.Hopefully Lee might not give up on it entirely but it has to be viable it really worries me that the crowds are dwindling a real shame.

Going up against the fours at Peterborough didn't help Sid. Most of the neutrals would have headed for the showground. 35 races for £20 helped pull in a very good crowd.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Going up against the fours at Peterborough didn't help Sid. Most of the neutrals would have headed for the showground. 35 races for £20 helped pull in a very good crowd.

Very good point. Also not always aided when the senior team is doing well plus as it was a standalone challenge i would say the 350+ figure is pretty encouraging. I hope there are other attempts later in the year as weekend racing will likely appeal to a broader audience.

52 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The NL has improved no end City a mix of different talent of all ages.Ledwith aged 46 was great value his gating was electric he would of scored even more but for a fall whoever said NL was full of wobblers.??

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

I think that for this level of racing to be a success at Swindon they need to have their own riders and not just be a NL Select side. Apart from Anders Rowe there's no real association with Swindon from the side, and even he was a guest who actually rides for the opposition in the NL.

I think if a batch of riders came through that were proper Swindon juniors like we had before - Chessells, Smarts, Broadbank and so on - it would catch on a lot more because the crowd could get more behind them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think that for this level of racing to be a success at Swindon they need to have their own riders and not just be a NL Select side. Apart from Anders Rowe there's no real association with Swindon from the side, and even he was a guest who actually rides for the opposition in the NL.

I think if a batch of riders came through that were proper Swindon juniors like we had before - Chessells, Smarts, Broadbank and so on - it would catch on a lot more because the crowd could get more behind them.

It is a vicious circle really you need to try to be successful to keep the crowds up to keep it viable.But on the other hand like you said you want to try to produce young new talent that go on and maybe go on and  get into the senior side.Swindon have had a great tradition of producing some good young local riders over the years( Rosco included) so it is great to see young Rowe going great guns.What is the NL supposed to represent? is just the entertainment element  or is it there to just produce the next generation of riders a fine line really.

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

It is a vicious circle really you need to try to be successful to keep the crowds up to keep it viable.But on the other hand like you said you want to try to produce young new talent that go on and maybe go on and  get into the senior side.Swindon have had a great tradition of producing some good young local riders over the years( Rosco included) so it is great to see young Rowe going great guns.What is the NL supposed to represent? is just the entertainment element  or is it there to just produce the next generation of riders a fine line really.

That is the nub of the arguments about this league. No, or poor, entertainment means no NL and, therefore, no next generation.