British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

News for fans of standard 2V engines

This has already been posted in the ‘New Ideas’ section of the forum.

Talking of engines then, what is the engine in Eddie Kennett's bike shown on the front cover of this weeks Star? 

In the feature photos in the inner pages he's on a GM but I don't recognise the one on the cover.

7 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Talking of engines then, what is the engine in Eddie Kennett's bike shown on the front cover of this weeks Star? 

In the feature photos in the inner pages he's on a GM but I don't recognise the one on the cover.

It's the new Godden.

The meeting being held on the Isle of White is exactly how I'd want all Clubs run.

Standard engines, draw lots, stick in your own rolling chassis.

Should of been introduced at the very start of Club Speedway...we then wouldn't have the farce of riders supplying their own engines to ride for a Club. And I should imagine a lot less expenditure on tuning.

I personally couldn't give a stuff who has the best set up and fastest engine...I don't pay money to see that.

I want four riders on equal machines, where their track craft and skill is more important.

I can't get my head around why riders wouldn't want it like this anyway.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gresham said:

The meeting being held on the Isle of White is exactly how I'd want all Clubs run.

Standard engines, draw lots, stick in your own rolling chassis.

Should of been introduced at the very start of Club Speedway...we then wouldn't have the farce of riders supplying their own engines to ride for a Club. And I should imagine a lot less expenditure on tuning.

I personally couldn't give a stuff who has the best set up and fastest engine...I don't pay money to see that.

I want four riders on equal machines, where their track craft and skill is more important.

I can't get my head around why riders wouldn't want it like this anyway.

Because partly because of the Vroom. Vroom thrill and the belief that the fastest engine will make them a winner. Which it will if they can gate and hold onto the bike. Trackcraft has moved onto that aspect of being a speedway rider and not how can I pass someone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Because partly because of the Vroom. Vroom thrill and the belief that the fastest engine will make them a winner. Which it will if they can gate and hold onto the bike. Trackcraft has moved onto that aspect of being a speedway rider and not how can I pass someone.

I guess it's inbred, as it's always been that way. Everyday thinking how to make the bike faster...

Shame...probably down to the fact that Speedway has pretty much always been an Individual and Club sport. The two don't mix well imo.

Would love Speedway in this country to buck the trend and go down the route suggested.

One big league, engines sealed and supplied. Lots at meeting. Stick in rolling chassis...then go racing.

No averages...wages not points per ride etc.

Don't care if all the big riders leave. Would rather have a lower level and new riders develop under a new system.

Surely there would be riders that would be happy to ride as Club riders on a wage, and forget about Individual events? No expensive engine tuning...just rolling chassis, keep fit and focus on track craft....

• Like 3

It says an awful lot about the Isle of Wight promotion that they have landed this meeting and not one of the bigger clubs. 

What is more remarkable is that they were approached by Polish Speedway, not the other way around.

• Like 9

Well, reading the Star it seems like the meeting was a success. Close racing, bikes were safer and only a fraction slower than the GM's.

Introducing the engines would reduce costs and improve the product but the riders won't buy into it because it would make the kit they've invested in so heavily worthless so a bit of a catch 22 situation unfortunately.

• Like 2

Barry Bishop does a great job promoting on the island.

Just watched the 2-valve race via YouTube. You cannot tell any difference in speed. If rolling back to 2-valves cuts costs and ultimately slows down speedway's decline, then what's stopping it, even for domestic racing if nothing else? 

There is too much money going out of the sport because of what we all thought was just progress and faster engines.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Just watched the 2-valve race via YouTube. You cannot tell any difference in speed. If rolling back to 2-valves cuts costs and ultimately slows down speedway's decline, then what's stopping it, even for domestic racing if nothing else? 

The riders will stop it. Although they accept that the cost to stay competitive is spiralling and standard engines would resolve this they have too much money invested in their current engines which is what scuppered the GTR project.

To quote Steve Worrall in this week's Star. The engines they've spent thousands of pounds on would now be merely "propping the workshop door open"

21 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

The riders will stop it. Although they accept that the cost to stay competitive is spiralling and standard engines would resolve this they have too much money invested in their current engines which is what scuppered the GTR project.

To quote Steve Worrall in this week's Star. The engines they've spent thousands of pounds on would now be merely "propping the workshop door open"

There would clearly have to be some form of migration period. Obviously, my main concern is the plight of British speedway.

Perhaps riders investing so heavily in current engines are really, to be blunt, the reason the sport is heading for the iceberg.

It isn't Formula 1, it is a working class sport, the next step up from grasstrack racing. If a different engine is introduced to help cut costs, surely the riders with a backlog of banned engines could be able to use them abroad or even trade them in with someone racing abroad. We are talking cutting costs here, and surely any rider would want that? 

If you are going to use the argument of riders having a back-jam of engines they won't be able to use, we'll never get beyond this point.    

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4