British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

News for fans of standard 2V engines

29 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

There would clearly have to be some form of migration period. Obviously, my main concern is the plight of British speedway.

Perhaps riders investing so heavily in current engines are really, to be blunt, the reason the sport is heading for the iceberg.

It isn't Formula 1, it is a working class sport, the next step up to grasstrack racing. If a different engine is introduced to help cut costs, surely the riders with a backlog of banned engines could be able to use them abroad or even trade them in with someone racing abroad. We are talking cutting costs here, and surely any rider would want that? 

If you are going to use the argument of riders having a back-jam of engines they won't be able to use, we'll never get beyond this point.    

I absolutely agree with you 100%. I'm just going on the words of Josh Auty and Steve Worrall in the Star. On the front page Auty is quoted as saying the spiralling cost of stuff for riders to compete and be on the ball is phenomenal but in the article he says the riders would "throw out" the idea of standard engines because of the reasons stated.

I'm sure it's not insurmountable if the will is there but I'm not sure how a migration period would work?

• Like 2

this is the reason the 2 valve option and GTR should be marketed direct at kids starting out

16 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I absolutely agree with you 100%. I'm just going on the words of Josh Auty and Steve Worrall in the Star. On the front page Auty is quoted as saying the spiralling cost of stuff for riders to compete and be on the ball is phenomenal but in the article he says the riders would "throw out" the idea of standard engines because of the reasons stated.

I'm sure it's not insurmountable if the will is there but I'm not sure how a migration period would work?

You can very much understand the riders point of view, but they simply have to wake up and see what is happening on the terraces. 

Any idea that cuts costs all round must be considered. As OveFundinFan has very correctly pointed out, its all very well them complaining about expensive doorstops but they will have them anyway if tracks close one by one due to financial losses. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevehone said:

this is the reason the 2 valve option and GTR should be marketed direct at kids starting out

Won't wash though as all riders starting out will want the fastest equipment. Its a sport where results are the only thing riders are judged upon (rightly or wrongly). 

The best hope of getting it off the ground is by making one or two factory teams, every rider in that team is supplied the engines and that is all they run at all tracks all season. The results at the end of the year will then be validated by the success of the team on track and by the club financially off track. 

56 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Won't wash though as all riders starting out will want the fastest equipment. Its a sport where results are the only thing riders are judged upon (rightly or wrongly). 

The best hope of getting it off the ground is by making one or two factory teams, every rider in that team is supplied the engines and that is all they run at all tracks all season. The results at the end of the year will then be validated by the success of the team on track and by the club financially off track. 

and when there are only a few tracks in the country running anything like a meeting, rides will be low in numbers, so all their fancy equipment is lying there doing nothing. Cant even use a speedway bike on the grass, wouldnt last 2 laps with no suspension.  Mind you, there could be a resurgance of grass track racing, but prize money is not too generous except for the very top ones, most do it as a hobby.

58 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

and when there are only a few tracks in the country running anything like a meeting, rides will be low in numbers, so all their fancy equipment is lying there doing nothing. Cant even use a speedway bike on the grass, wouldnt last 2 laps with no suspension.  Mind you, there could be a resurgance of grass track racing, but prize money is not too generous except for the very top ones, most do it as a hobby.

Im certainly not disagreeing that something needs to be done to sort the mess out. Although is making a mini comeback and most of the equipment is interchangeable bar the frame which is largely a throw away item in speedway these days as all the money goes on engines & clutches.

Although UK grasstrack needs to revert a little to the older more solid frames (possibly win shock) rather than the hard mono's as essentially they are trying to use smooth longtrack bikes on rough fields and become shocked when the rides a bit bumpy. 

Hey,

In my view what needs to be implemented here is not a replacement of the the existing machines used today, because although we think it could be cheaper and we think it will be closer we have only staged a few meetings worldwide on these engines.  What the next steps need to be are an increased amount of meetings and whether thats more meetings on the Island  or a cup challenge with engines provided by NICE or another benefactor remains to be seen but this is the only way forward in my view and is what I will discuss when I meet the NICE team again next month. 

Doing a larger meaningful set of meetings will enable us to truly have some answers to the questions of how close will the racing be, what will the action be like, how will the engines be after 5, 10 or 15 meetings. For me it is not about cost reduction although this is a great additional benefit, it is about how we improve the show, while maintaining rider safety. All of the riders said the engines were great to control, needed setup and throttle control and not just flat out.

I am hopeful that this early experiment can  now be expanded to enable us to do real comparisons, real analysis and then mover forward.

One other point here... I dont actually think it matters whether the engines are 2 or 4v, what matters is that they are standard and they are balloted for at each meeting.

It is great to read your feedback on here, I can tell you the feedback all over has been really encouraging, now I just have to work harder to show even more proof.

See you trackside - #positivityisking

• Like 2

Barry, have you (or anyone) got race times for the 2 valvers to compare with same/similar riders on 4 valvers? Not that race times matter, its the quality of racing/more cost effectiveness that matters.

And are these 2 valvers laydown engines as someone posted a race clip? And are there any common components between the 2 and 4 valvers?

43 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

Hey,

In my view what needs to be implemented here is not a replacement of the the existing machines used today, because although we think it could be cheaper and we think it will be closer we have only staged a few meetings worldwide on these engines.  What the next steps need to be are an increased amount of meetings and whether thats more meetings on the Island  or a cup challenge with engines provided by NICE or another benefactor remains to be seen but this is the only way forward in my view and is what I will discuss when I meet the NICE team again next month. 

Doing a larger meaningful set of meetings will enable us to truly have some answers to the questions of how close will the racing be, what will the action be like, how will the engines be after 5, 10 or 15 meetings. For me it is not about cost reduction although this is a great additional benefit, it is about how we improve the show, while maintaining rider safety. All of the riders said the engines were great to control, needed setup and throttle control and not just flat out.

I am hopeful that this early experiment can  now be expanded to enable us to do real comparisons, real analysis and then mover forward.

One other point here... I dont actually think it matters whether the engines are 2 or 4v, what matters is that they are standard and they are balloted for at each meeting.

It is great to read your feedback on here, I can tell you the feedback all over has been really encouraging, now I just have to work harder to show even more proof.

See you trackside - #positivityisking

A season long GP style series to fill in some of the fixture gaps we currently have would be great.

I'm sure riders would be keen to prove that they can compete with the best on a level playing field and put themselves in the shop window for attracting sponsors and advancing their careers.

As you say though it will rely on a major sponsor to supply and maintain the balloted engines. Good luck with the project I hope it's a success.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Barry, have you (or anyone) got race times for the 2 valvers to compare with same/similar riders on 4 valvers? Not that race times matter, its the quality of racing/more cost effectiveness that matters.

And are these 2 valvers laydown engines as someone posted a race clip? And are there any common components between the 2 and 4 valvers?

Hi.... yep they averaged around 2 -3 seconds more to our usual timings... I am looking at a way to give away the entire meeting footage for everyone to review it and see that action, which in general was really close and only spread out for a coupleof races.

They are the 2v Laydowns you saw on the clip but my view it doesnt matter if they are 2v or 4v really but they must be standard engines. I will ask about the common parts for both but I am there will be.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

A season long GP style series to fill in some of the fixture gaps we currently have would be great.

I'm sure riders would be keen to prove that they can compete with the best on a level playing field and put themselves in the shop window for attracting sponsors and advancing their careers.

As you say though it will rely on a major sponsor to supply and maintain the balloted engines. Good luck with the project I hope it's a success.

For sure it is not one I can fund...but I can certainly provide a workable business plan and would love to run it and build it...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The riders will certainly have a load of door stops when speedway in the UK collapses.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to begin buying engines off riders to make them into "upcycled" fancy doorstops to sell to (the large number of) people with more money than sense. I'm sure they'd go down a storm with Shoreditch hipsters and the like.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, barrybishop said:

For sure it is not one I can fund...but I can certainly provide a workable business plan and would love to run it and build it...

Some people on here really are dillusional if they think the BSPA/SCB (who licence the tracks ) are going to allow a rival engine company to hold a series of race meetings on their tracks when they have a ' contract ' ( however idiotic it is ) with GTR .

Unless of course there's something in it for them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Some people on here really are dillusional if they think the BSPA/SCB (who licence the tracks ) are going to allow a rival engine company to hold a series of race meetings on their tracks when they have a ' contract ' ( however idiotic it is ) with GTR .

Unless of course there's something in it for them.

The proposal was standard, balloted engines. Nothing to say they can't be GTR.

In fact it could save the GTR's becoming the doorstops that they currently are!