Sign in to follow this  
Robinh88

Idiosyncratic signings

On 6/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, Robinh88 said:

Hmmmmmm

2002..Exeter..13..61..118..11..8.46..1F

2002..Trelawny..14..53..74..8..6.19
2003..Exeter..46..229..442..19..8.05..4F

I was surprised when he went to Trelawny, pretty sure he started the year at the Moto parc. But probably just struggled to get the set up before a swift return to form at the County ground. 

As for Exeter between 99 and 05 would have liked both Coles and Hare who both seemed capable of scoring good points consistently away. Mark Lemon always good from the gate and maybe Tony Svab.

Lobb Simmonds and Stephens all solid at home but maybe not the best travellers.

I'm sure he started off there for St Austell in the Conference League, possibly 1998? Signed for Eastbourne as an asset early on in his career as well I think.

Remember workington releasing James Wright an signing Simon Neilsen in his place

17 hours ago, Midget said:

Remember workington releasing James Wright an signing Simon Neilsen in his place

Depending which James you are comparing with. James was a good rider and when he improved he went on the EL and was the PL Riders Champion one year. Unfortunalety he suffered major problems with consistency and slid down the averages and was very unreliable after that, and not signed by anyone.

Edited by Tsunami

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Depending which James you are comparing with. James was a good rider and when he improve went on the EL and was the EL champion one year. Unfortunalety he suffered major problems with consistency and slid down the averages and was very unreliable after that and not signed by anyone.

EL champion as in ELITE league riders champion ?

3 hours ago, jenga said:

EL champion as in ELITE league riders champion ?

No , he won the PLRC the year it was held at Swindon . By the time his career had reached Glasgow , he was a major disappointment 

26 minutes ago, Paulco said:

No , he won the PLRC the year it was held at Swindon . By the time his career had reached Glasgow , he was a major disappointment 

thought not .  i do know he won the plsc @ swindon,  but not the ELRC as the big wave said he was ELRC for champ  one year .

Would love to know what caused Wright's alarming slide. Strangely enough it was at the same time as his brother's rise after years of nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCookie said:

Would love to know what caused Wright's alarming slide. Strangely enough it was at the same time as his brother's rise after years of nothing.

the old kirky lane stuffed him up . not the best race track for him with his cant/wont gate skills and he liked to come from behind around the boards !in his races . kirky lane was not that sort of track . it  did not suit him at all . that carried on on the away tracks as well .  a talent lost .

Edited by jenga

12 hours ago, Paulco said:

You are correct , it wasn't the EL it was the PL. My mistake.

In 2003. I was setting up the Gems team for that year with Kenny Smith, and we heard about this kid at Belle Vue and we made enquiries about him joining us. We knew that Buxton were not intending to run that year so we thought he would be looking for a track. The advice we got was we should be going for his younger brother Charles as he appeared to be the better bet. We made enquiries to try and sign then both, but then we heard that Jan Staechmann and his mechanic had taken out the lease on Buxton for one year, and the Wrights had signed for them.

Missed opportunities to get two top kids on board.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

wonder who got them first in the premier or the championship league as its known now ?  

On 6/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, jenga said:

wonder who got them first in the premier or the championship league as its known now ?  

They were already signed by Belle Vue we were told..

I've had the pleasure of watching both James and Charles plenty of times at Somerset. On their day, both of them could be absolutely brilliant. We signed James mid way through a season after he was released by Workington (I think) and he was fantastic. He scored double figures most weeks at home and was a real racer. This is when the OTA was a superb track and James would often fly round the boards passing people for fun. He started the next season for us in the same year we had Vissing and Jesper Monberg come in. He became so frustrating though - He would go out and beat the opposition no.1 and then crawl round at the back in his next race in heat 14 behind some hopeless reserve. As said above, he could be so good and yet so frustrating/bad all within a few minutes of eachother.

Charles Wright was superb from the moment we signed him. He'd been scoring hatfuls for Buxton and then to some peoples annoyance signed him to replace Stefan Nielsen. Wrighty nearly won us the league that year and became the best rider to ever watch in my opnion at the OTA after that. Somerset is a worse place without him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tsunami said:

They were already signed by Belle Vue we were told..

didnt workington sell james wright to Somerset . there was a big 

thing made over it frae the rebs twins .