The 1971 season file on Speedway Researcher lists the Halifax side as

1. Eric Boocock

2. Greg Kentwell

3. Dave Younghusband

4. Dave Durham

5. .Paul O'Neil

6. Malcolm Mackay

7. Terry Lee

Heat 7 is noted as Boocock, Keen, O'Neil, Broadbank. However Halifax are not 6 behind at this point so Boocock could only have ridden as rider replacement.

I suspect Dave Durham is at #8 but who was R/R in operation for? I also suspect Paul O'Neil actually rode at #4 with R/R at #5.

Can anyone confirm the Halifax line-up?

24/04/71 Swindon v Halifax    42. -36            Swindon.    1.Briggs 12 max)  2. Hitch 5.    3.Keen 4.     4. Munday ( 9/3 paid max). 5 Ashby 10.  6.Broadbank 2.  7. Facey. 0.           42.            Halifax. 1. Boocock ( 11/1 ). 2. Kentwell 6.    3. Younghusband 7.  4. O' Neil ( 5/1 ). 5. R/R Jay   6. Mackay 1.  7. Lee(  6/1 ). 8.Durham 0 one ride in heat 3. 

I was at that one, Clark Facey only had a handful of meetings for Swindon, 5 for 5 points. Rode for Exeter and Weymouth. Must have been wet for Pete Munday to score paid max! Broady near to retirement.

13 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I was at that one, Clark Facey only had a handful of meetings for Swindon, 5 for 5 points. Rode for Exeter and Weymouth. Must have been wet for Pete Munday to score paid max! Broady near to retirement.

Broady was still riding for Newport in 1977!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Broady was still riding for Newport in 1977!

He was never the same rider after breaking his leg against Ackney in 1969, happened right in front of us. Fantastic rider and captain for the Robins, spoke to him last week on the Blunsdon terraces.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:39 AM, auntie doris said:

He was never the same rider after breaking his leg against Ackney in 1969, happened right in front of us. Fantastic rider and captain for the Robins, spoke to him last week on the Blunsdon terraces.

I remember Broady riding for Ackney and i saw him ride for Crayford/ Stoke a true legend for me.Can you remember the double header in 1973 Doris  Swindon v Reading and v Sheffield i remember Keener breaking his collar bone.

The biggest thrashing I ever saw was a Swindon v Halifax meeting. I think it was 1976 (but could have been 77) and ended up 62-15.

David Ashby was the only Swindon rider beaten by a Halifax rider, I think, and Swindon even had a 5-0 early on in the meeting.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

The biggest thrashing I ever saw was a Swindon v Halifax meeting. I think it was 1976 (but could have been 77) and ended up 62-15.

David Ashby was the only Swindon rider beaten by a Halifax rider, I think, and Swindon even had a 5-0 early on in the meeting.

Yes Grachan  Halifax scored 15 points only Kroeze/ Lohmann and Ian Cartwright were the only riders to split a Robin.If i remember rightly Chris Pusey scored 0 after one year scoring a 15 point max at the Abbey.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

1977 62-15.  heat 5 a 5-0 to Swindon Kroeze (ret) Godal (fell) .Heat 7 Cartwright beat Bouchard and heat 8 David Ashby was behind Kroeze/ Lohmann the rest all 5/1s.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Yes Grachan  Halifax scored 15 points only Kroeze/ Lohmann and Ian Cartwright were the only riders to split a Robin.If i remember rightly Chris Pusey scored 0 after one year scoring a 15 point max at the Abbey.

Must have a chat to Ian when I next see him when visiting "Mouseman of Kilburn'. We more often than not have a chat about speedway and he enjoys the fact that someone engages with him about speedway. He recalls how sad that Chris Pusey died whilst still relatively young...although he was the last person who should have run a pub!

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Must have a chat to Ian when I next see him when visiting "Mouseman of Kilburn'. We more often than not have a chat about speedway and he enjoys the fact that someone engages with him about speedway. He recalls how sad that Chris Pusey died whilst still relatively young...although he was the last person who should have run a pub!

Ask him Steve about the test match in Vojens i am sure Ian rode for England there in a test match?? .Ian's career was really strange went from being a good heat leader to a real top rider reached the Overseas final at White City and made real progress i think he had a successful furniture business hence the reason of a relatively early retirement.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Ask him Steve about the test match in Vojens i am sure Ian rode for England there in a test match?? .Ian's career was really strange went from being a good heat leader to a real top rider reached the Overseas final at White City and made real progress i think he had a successful furniture business hence the reason of a relatively early retirement.

When I spoke to him about the Overseas Final he was so disappointed in not qualifying that he didn't notice that he was a good way home after the meeting before he realised that he was driving in third gear!

He appears quite happy with his achievements but realised that the family business needed his attention which is why he retired somewhat prematurely although he speaks highly of some of his team colleagues...Mike Lohmann in particular!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

When I spoke to him about the Overseas Final he was so disappointed in not qualifying that he didn't notice that he was a good way home after the meeting before he realised that he was driving in third gear!

He appears quite happy with his achievements but realised that the family business needed his attention which is why he retired somewhat prematurely although he speaks highly of some of his team colleagues...Mike Lohmann in particular!

What about Kenny ? i have plenty of pictures of Ian/ Kenny together.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

What about Kenny ? i have plenty of pictures of Ian/ Kenny together.

From what I remember, Sid, Ian had no problems with him. I would find it difficult to believe that Ian had any enemies as he comes across as such an easy going type of person and very articulate as you'd expect with such a high profile business to run.