Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Should we scrap Team Speedway?

48 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

They should st least try the British champs over a certain amount of rounds 

100% currently should be a 5 round championship perhaps the only speedway other than the play offs that BT should cover 

37 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

100% currently should be a 5 round championship perhaps the only speedway other than the play offs that BT should cover 

Not a bad shout...

What BT currently often shows won't grab many of the watching nation and give encouragement to attend any tracks local to them, that's for sure..

Therefore, maybe only show meetings that have credibility and, hopefully, a crowd level that reflects well on its brand..

Credible, well attended meetings being watched may make the viewer at least curious to find out more about Speedway..

And the clubs could maybe then start to grow their own crowds on the back of it....

• Like 1

Doyle, Batch, Musielak, Jensen, Ellis, Fricke, Bjerre, Kurtz, Holder, King, Lawson, Wright, Lambert, Cookie, Masters, Schlein.

7 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

The tracks that are able to stage other events etc could put on other types of meetings such as perhaps the likes of Ipswich, Lynn, Boro and Mildenhall staging their own mini series of the Star of East Anglia.

Obviously what I am saying is that perhaps someone like Sky Sports and a branded sponsor can make a 10 round series work financially for riders, let's be honest here also the "Super 16" in what would be the top flight many get income from riding in other countries.

If promoted well you could get 4,000 to 5000 spectators at Foxhall alone for one round, I know alot of speedway supporters are over a certain age where routine is everything and team speedway means everything but this is my point, team speedway only means it to fans, it doesn't mean it to riders

Go back years where there were genuine rivalries between clubs, fans and riders, now in a fans head rivalries still exist however for clubs and riders they do not..

Riders due to doubling up and social media are all mates, how do you feel when your team in the championship tweet that Rory Schlein scored 9 points tonight for Wolverhampton (as an example) why would YOUR club tweet about your rider scoring points for another team? Because he is not your rider is he, that's not a team sport

Then how much team riding is there anyway in this gate and go, win at all costs no matter where your team mate is because winning maximises my own income.

Personally I'm one who prefers individual meetings and can see speedway has no way of coming back from where it is now despite how many times the BSPA gloss over it every season 

So . . . how many meetings does a track have in a season?

11 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

So . . . how many meetings does a track have in a season?

You could only realistically use tracks that are also used for other events, as there will only be a handful of meeting per year, so those only facilitated for speedway on it's own and has no other income other than speedway will be for housing, which is what will happen to the sport eventually anyway.

• Confused 1

Team Speedway has vastly more appeal for me but only if the quality of racing can be improved. As it stands  I can take it or leave ( UK speedway regardless of who is riding or in what format it is presented ). Gate & Go is boring and pointless.

Perhaps it's time to involve style and position on the bike supplementary scores. Choice of music and interpretation of the same could also be brought in as well as kevlar and bike appearance. How about Le Man style bump starts? Or the first half lap could be as we currently have - ie gating excellence being the main skill and then the second half of the one lap races could involve the style of finishing that lap. And rodeo style clowns, do they have a part to play in future? 

Almost any kind of "circus" is more welcome than what we are offered at present.

If team speedway was to stay I think something like a 12 team league with a squad of 5 riders and it runs on a 4TT format even at semi professional standards with a youth league similar to what the conference is now.

That would at least give fans the chance to identify with their club, no doubling up and also its individual racing but with a team goal in mind.

If standardised points money was brought in across the board also so you earn what you score per meeting based on say 600-800 spectators then promoters could even make money

The sport either needs one professional league or division or individual or even semi pro, the sport is not a profession any more it's a hobby and riders need to understand this 

9 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

If team speedway was to stay I think something like a 12 team league with a squad of 5 riders and it runs on a 4TT format even at semi professional standards with a youth league similar to what the conference is now.

That would at least give fans the chance to identify with their club, no doubling up and also its individual racing but with a team goal in mind.

If standardised points money was brought in across the board also so you earn what you score per meeting based on say 600-800 spectators then promoters could even make money

The sport either needs one professional league or division or individual or even semi pro, the sport is not a profession any more it's a hobby and riders need to understand this 

I'm sure your ideas are well intentioned, but you seem to be coming up with theories that will make crowds even lower. Why would you want the sport to only attract 600-800 spectators at the top level?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The sport in the UK is indeed not a profession any more. Or rather it cannot be in the future and riders need to understand this. Those that say they cannot make it pay without doubling up must either improve and get into European racing or take a job. No bleating hearts!

42 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm sure your ideas are well intentioned, but you seem to be coming up with theories that will make crowds even lower. Why would you want the sport to only attract 600-800 spectators at the top level?

To be fair to Falcon1983, 600-800 crowds are being delivered now at the top level..

Which does suggest a 'broken' operating model..

Something needs to be done to improve things..

Doing the 'same old, same old' can only end up one way, sadly..

It's not 'selling' now so won't miraculously start doing so..

Edited by mikebv

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

I will explain

I mean if there was some form of standard points money on offer in a revamped semi pro league, either team racing or individual you could start by basing it off 600-800 per meeting or per round or however the format is

So let's say it's for a team championship but based on the 4TT structure, that's 4 clubs at one track, 16 heats of racing 

If you say 800 x £18 thats £14,400 so £900 worth of prize money per race

4th = £50

3rd = £100

2nd = £200

1st = £400

That works out at £750 per heat so promoter already has £150 left over per heat plus whatever excess he gets through the gate

If at Foxhall for example they can easily double 800 people so the promoter or series will have £2,400 + £14,400 which would be profitable after costs

Less racing so less costs to the riders in terms of maintenance, if they can secure enough sponsorship to cover racing costs and they average say 3 seconds and a last place over 20 meetings a season that's £13000 from a hobby 

On 6/22/2019 at 11:23 PM, Falcon1983 said:

I've been thinking about this for a while, team speedway is not really a viable option at the moment in terms of riders doubling up etc across 2 or 3 divisions.

I understand they are trying to do away with it over 5 years and that there are a crop of youngsters whom in 5 years time may be able to boost numbers.

However, what state will the sport be in when 5 years is up, will there be a sport left?

Personally i think team speedway is already on it's way out, it's only the fans whom cling on to team speedway purely as they have already built a relationship and affection with their chosen club.

I think individual speedway is the way forward for the Sport perhaps not the way forward for clubs.

I can see there being perhaps 4 divisions of 16 riders call it a Premier League, Division One, Division Two and Three

Potentially ran to the same format as the speedway grand prix, with a broadcaster like Sky TV doing something big with the main league where the prize money can be something quite attractive to riders.

Run from April - August covering 10 championship rounds, with some form of promotion/relegation bottom 4 riders in the premiership going down top 4 from Division One going up etc. All the way down to Division 3

Rounds ran on Friday, Saturday or Sundays to boost attendances 

Just for fun, which 16 would be in your premiership? Mine would be

1. Jason Doyle

2. Max Fricke

3. Troy Batchelor

4. Robert Lambert

5. Craig Cook

6. Kenneth Bjerre

7. Rory Schlein

8. Jacob Thorsell

9. Brady Kurtz

10. Jack Holder

11. Hans Andersen

12. Chris Harris

13. Danny King

14. Scott Nicholls

15. Richard Lawson

16. Dan Bewley

Ten Rounds at

Belle Vue

Swindon

Glasgow

Ipswich

Olympic Stadium 

Sheffield

Poole

Kings Lynn

Birmingham 

Peterborough 

I these new way forward ideas some of which need consideration as the current operation model is not working. 

However these new proposals loose all credibility when random things are chucked in I mean a domestic competition at the Olympic stadium is pure fantasy. 

Have you heard of VAT, Stadium rent and operating costs?

Edited by Skidder1