British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Should we scrap Team Speedway?

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

I these new way forward ideas some of which need consideration as the current operation model is not working. 

However these new proposals loose all credibility when random things are chucked in I mean a domestic competition at the Olympic stadium is pure fantasy. 

This is the problem with promoters, no ambition, why not the olympic stadium for say a british final or end of season round of a championship? Speedway needs to be in the heart beat of this country and that is London 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Have you heard of VAT, Stadium rent and operating costs?

Very familiar with all 3 well bar stadium rent, but even on the figures quoted deducting VAT and operational costs, still profitbal for a promoter, the same promoter who claim they dont make any money from the sport which they do or they wouldn't promote 

On 6/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, Falcon1983 said:

Very familiar with all 3 well bar stadium rent, but even on the figures quoted deducting VAT and operational costs, still profitbal for a promoter, the same promoter who claim they dont make any money from the sport which they do or they wouldn't promote 

I agree with you that team speedway at top level in its current format isn't working but a 16 man GP series wouldn't produce enough meetings for either riders or clubs.

I would retain the team speedway in the top flight but in a 4 team tournament format with 4 man teams and a reserve like the old world cup format run alongside the GP series you suggest. Maybe less fixtures would attract some of the big names back and increase quality? I know people will bemoan the loss of team riding (which is virtually extinct anyway) but what we have now isn't working so change is needed in my opinion.

If teams still lack fixtures they can enter National league sides to bring on the next generation as I think this still works in its current format.

• Like 1

Rather than one league I reckon a format with 3 regional divisions is a likely next step depending on what happens with the TV deal in the future. Negotiations that are to be 'completed' before end August could severely affect the future structure.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Rather than one league I reckon a format with 3 regional divisions is a likely next step depending on what happens with the TV deal in the future. Negotiations that are to be 'completed' before end August could severely affect the future structure.

Buster had the right idea..

Plenty of local derbies..

Therefore. Use a regional conference system like the NFL does..

Plenty of local derbies but several national matches too to add variety....

Best of both worlds..

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Buster had the right idea..

Plenty of local derbies..

Therefore. Use a regional conference system like the NFL does..

Plenty of local derbies but several national matches too to add variety....

Best of both worlds..

I believe Len Silver is keen on this format and has spoken to several promoters, including at least one Premiership club!! ;)

18 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I agree with you that team speedway at top level in its current format isn't working but a 16 man GP series wouldn't produce enough meetings for either riders or clubs.

I would retain the team speedway in the top flight but in a 4 team tournament format with 4 man teams and a reserve like the old world cup format run alongside the GP series you suggest. Maybe less fixtures would attract some of the big names back and increase quality? I know people will bemoan the loss of team riding (which is virtually extinct anyway) but what we have now isn't working so change is needed in my opinion.

If teams still lack fixtures they can enter National league sides to bring on the next generation as I think this still works in its current format.

I would agree with this 100%

If you had 4 divisions of 16 riders for the individual series you could then have 16 teams for the 4team club championship

And do some form of NFL draft system in terms of picks