British Speedway Forum
Old Crusader

Kent v Bellevue Mon 24th

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

A decent meeting tonight with the kings falling short against a strong Belle Vue side. 15 year old Jake Mulford looked very impressive on his debut, with a sensational ride in heat 4 that brought the house down!

Very good booking for Kent and could be an option full time if he wants it. I think Jake was one of the unlucky riders who fell foul of the no more than 2 x 2.00 rider ruling. 

As for what to do with team changes its difficult as it could be argued that Kemp, Ledwith, Jenkins and Spooner have all been inconsistent and its the bad meetings from these riders that have been costing results. Spooner probably escapes due to injury and average likewise Ledwith as bargain average but i think the surprise under performer is Kemp and if Bowen fancies it i reckon he could step in and take over before the team get actual averages. 

Why would Kent make a rash decision after losing twice against Belle Vue.?? They will have a good season, they have  some real talented lad's to watch everyweek. and another one in Mulford  introduced tonight as well the Colts are the best side in the league so there is no disgrace in losing to them at all.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Why would Kent make a rash decision after losing twice against Belle Vue.?? They will have a good season, they have  some real talented lad's to watch everyweek. and another one in Mulford  introduced tonight as well the Colts are the best side in the league so there is no disgrace in losing to them at all.

There is a big difference between building a competitive side and a winning side and Len Silver is desperate to have the latter. The team built this year was expected by many including himself to top the league table and clean up on trophies. Kent have spent the last X years being play off contenders but falling short. The acquisitions of Gilkes & Kemp (two of the most desired riders in the league) showed the intent. Its one month until signing deadline and Kent have to either hope that the injury returnee's are swift and the silly mistakes cease or they will see more victories heading the way of the composed and assured Colts. 

11 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

There is a big difference between building a competitive side and a winning side and Len Silver is desperate to have the latter. The team built this year was expected by many including himself to top the league table and clean up on trophies. Kent have spent the last X years being play off contenders but falling short. The acquisitions of Gilkes & Kemp (two of the most desired riders in the league) showed the intent. Its one month until signing deadline and Kent have to either hope that the injury returnee's are swift and the silly mistakes cease or they will see more victories heading the way of the composed and assured Colts. 

Agree entirely, this was chance for Kent to come out of shadows of their big rivals near neighbours down at Eastbourne with them and us Brummies moving up and Mildenhall weaker this year, looked open goal when they announced that 1-7.  thought too they would clean up but now look to be behind Leicester and Belle Vue in pecking order.

They will find it harder to attract riders than both BV Colts and Leicester if they all stay in NL as BV/Leic have option of offering both training facilities and top level rider/coaching sessions. Not sure where Kent go from the end of this season, do they move up to PL (can't currently ride in CL on a Monday night) or do they hope for a 1 League solution and pitch for that?? 

If ledwith average could increase enough bring in Bowtell - far better rider. Would appear young Len has built a team that can’t do the business once again. Congrats on the NT but they don’t stand a chance when Paul Bowen’s fit and replaces Woodhull at reserve. 

In all honesty and no disrespect to the other 3 teams in it but the bigger shock would have been if Kent didn't win the NT. I agree they look a little behind the Colts & Cubs although Leicester may struggle when the averages change the riding order. Im not sure if Paul Bowen is the answer for Woodhull (although he does need to ship out and stop playing speedway) if the Colts were really on it they could switch Jake Mulford in at reserve. Certainly has a lot more pedigree BUT with bikes being built in the morning (so he knew long before Kent announced no Ablitt, thanks for the mushroom treatment Len) Mulford may not be in a position to properly take on a full team place yet?

I must admit as a neutral, i did expect a lot of 60 plus scores at central park this season. Ledwith and Rowe have exceed my expectations, but Kemp and Jenkins are not at last seasons level yet. Although in fairness Jordan has been hampered by injuries, as have Spooner and the Kings star reserves.

• Like 1

Not a bad meeting at all. Well done to the Colts, a thoroughly deserved team effort.

I found it very strange to have an interval,track grade and watering while it was raining! That made the track greasier that it needed to be as Phillips spun round and then Clouting locked up and left the track. Riders going in all directions.

Following Ht1, where Kemp came off twice,all his own doing in my opinion,one guy constantly booed Phillips for the rest of the night for being a dirty rider. Even cheering when he came off on bend 1.Very childish.

I know Jenkins came off in Ht3 and was lucky to escape without serious injury to continue,but he worries me. Almost every meeting Ive seen him in,he has taken a fall.  Not living up to early career promise. If he has gone for a check up at the hospital, I wish him well. I dont like to see injuries to ANY rider, whatever their level or ability.

I travelled up to support the Colts,so left there very pleased they got through. Wasnt expecting an away win, especially as my own favourite rider,Kyle Bickley, had a nightmare with bike issues all night. If they can win away when one of their 'big hitters' has an off night, look out the rest if this team all hit form at the same time!

Some decent races, especially when Flint and Rowe met. Both giving their all. Good to see they both left each other the room to race. Cant fault the Kings team spirit though as Mulford came out for a race on Ledwiths bike. 

Bring on those Cradley Heathens! Much easier to get to there from Torquay!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

You dont want the win at all costs mentality in the N.L though do you.?

It's nonsense to suggest that Kent need team changes.   In fact I'd be nipping down the bookies to get a bet on them winning the play-offs.

Gilkes has been a big loss, but he'll be back soon, and once everyone else has had their 2.00 riders gain new averages and move into the main body, he'll be cleaning upat reserve.

Kemp is a top quality rider.  He had bike trouble and had to ride borrowed machinery for the 1st leg, but was excellent last night.   Rowe is also developing into a superb rider.  Ledwith was always going to more than double his joke 3.50 assessed average.  Spooner was quick last night and will get better and better with an injury free run.  Jenkins has been a bit of a weak link, but only through injury.  An injury free second half to the season will see him move up the averages.

I think Kent heads went down last night when they knew Ablitt was out and they thought they had to cover with a "no hoper".  Turned out Luke Mulford was anything but a no hoper, but they'd beaten themselves by the time they found out he was quite useful.

The other thing Kent did to beat themselves was watering a bald track and making it greasy.  Crazy!    Belle Vue always seemed to have someone at the pit gate watching everything, and maybe feedback on track conditions helped them make changes to cope, while the bad track prep backfired on the home riders?

A fully fit Kent 1-7 with Gilkes back will hit form just in time for the play-offs.   No need for team changes.   Get your money on them.

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, BobC said:

Not a bad meeting at all. Well done to the Colts, a thoroughly deserved team effort.

I found it very strange to have an interval,track grade and watering while it was raining! That made the track greasier that it needed to be as Phillips spun round and then Clouting locked up and left the track. Riders going in all directions.

Following Ht1, where Kemp came off twice,all his own doing in my opinion,one guy constantly booed Phillips for the rest of the night for being a dirty rider. Even cheering when he came off on bend 1.Very childish.

I know Jenkins came off in Ht3 and was lucky to escape without serious injury to continue,but he worries me. Almost every meeting Ive seen him in,he has taken a fall.  Not living up to early career promise. If he has gone for a check up at the hospital, I wish him well. I dont like to see injuries to ANY rider, whatever their level or ability.

I travelled up to support the Colts,so left there very pleased they got through. Wasnt expecting an away win, especially as my own favourite rider,Kyle Bickley, had a nightmare with bike issues all night. If they can win away when one of their 'big hitters' has an off night, look out the rest if this team all hit form at the same time!

Some decent races, especially when Flint and Rowe met. Both giving their all. Good to see they both left each other the room to race. Cant fault the Kings team spirit though as Mulford came out for a race on Ledwiths bike. 

Bring on those Cradley Heathens! Much easier to get to there from Torquay!

Im not sure the track is ever too wet for Len as he has a habit of watering bald surfaces with the inevitable effect upon racing. There are sadly still a few individuals at Kent who think its ok to boo/cheer fallen riders and that is why i have disassociated myself in terms of fan and now consider myself a speedway neutral.

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You dont want the win at all costs mentality in the N.L though do you.?

Personally no i don't i would much rather see an even better spread of riders across the league to create close unpredictable results and despite the teams being closer than ever this year there is still quite a divide. It is also very difficult for clubs to balance being ambitious but not ruthless (that said its usually the ruthless ones that are the victors).

47 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

It's nonsense to suggest that Kent need team changes.   In fact I'd be nipping down the bookies to get a bet on them winning the play-offs.

Gilkes has been a big loss, but he'll be back soon, and once everyone else has had their 2.00 riders gain new averages and move into the main body, he'll be cleaning upat reserve.

Kemp is a top quality rider.  He had bike trouble and had to ride borrowed machinery for the 1st leg, but was excellent last night.   Rowe is also developing into a superb rider.  Ledwith was always going to more than double his joke 3.50 assessed average.  Spooner was quick last night and will get better and better with an injury free run.  Jenkins has been a bit of a weak link, but only through injury.  An injury free second half to the season will see him move up the averages.

I think Kent heads went down last night when they knew Ablitt was out and they thought they had to cover with a "no hoper".  Turned out Luke Mulford was anything but a no hoper, but they'd beaten themselves by the time they found out he was quite useful.

The other thing Kent did to beat themselves was watering a bald track and making it greasy.  Crazy!    Belle Vue always seemed to have someone at the pit gate watching everything, and maybe feedback on track conditions helped them make changes to cope, while the bad track prep backfired on the home riders?

A fully fit Kent 1-7 with Gilkes back will hit form just in time for the play-offs.   No need for team changes.   Get your money on them.

I agree with WalterPlinge.  Fans seem to forget that the very talented Gilkes has been an absentee since the middle of May and, as a powerhouse reserve, his

influence on results is massive. Loads of other injuries too, so, hats off to the Kings for 100% effort all the time.  No one can expect more and the few comments

on this forum asking for team changes are not living in the real World. Will be tough for a while until all riders are fit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I agree with WalterPlinge.  Fans seem to forget that the very talented Gilkes has been an absentee since the middle of May and, as a powerhouse reserve, his

influence on results is massive. Loads of other injuries too, so, hats off to the Kings for 100% effort all the time.  No one can expect more and the few comments

on this forum asking for team changes are not living in the real World. Will be tough for a while until all riders are fit. 

I would like to point out that A. im not a Kent fan and B. i was not asking for changes i was suggesting options for a team that is not fulfilling its promise (for reasons various) as i would for any other team. Its a forum for debate / questions / comments and i was just playing devils advocate to spur a little interest.

You need a lot of luck to avoid injuries at this level as it’s not always your fault!

The Kent team built with so many youngsters was a bit of a gamble in my view.

The Mulford lad looks the part and needs a team place pronto.

• Like 1