British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Peter Craven Oxford track record.

Peter Craven set the Oxford track record on the 9th May 1963 in his Golden Helmet encounter against the great Ove Fundin in a time of 63 seconds.Did this record stand until 1981??? when Dave Perks set a record of 61 seconds, or was it broken in 1974/75? when the track was supposingly changed in the pre season.????

Edited by Sidney the robin

The Oxford files on Speedway Researcher show no track records were set in 1972. However in 1973 George Hunter is credited with a TR of 65.4 in heat 2 of the Midland Riders QR on 10/05/1973. So it appears the track was changed between the 72 & 73 seasons.

Ole Olsen lowered it to 65.2 in heat 6 of the Champions' £100 Trophy on 19th July.

12 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

The Oxford files on Speedway Researcher show no track records were set in 1972. However in 1973 George Hunter is credited with a TR of 65.4 in heat 2 of the Midland Riders QR on 10/05/1973. So it appears the track was changed between the 72 & 73 seasons.

Ole Olsen lowered it to 65.2 in heat 6 of the Champions' £100 Trophy on 19th July.

Olsen cant remember him riding Oxford to much over the years?  i did go to that meeting you mentioned the Champions Trophy in 1973  i remember a young Scott Autrey riding.

Edited by Sidney the robin

7 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

Barry Briggs set a record of 64.8 during 1974 (although the track had been shortened tp 350 yards) and Dag Lovaas lowered it to 63.6 later during that same season and then Phil Crump lowered it further (63.2)

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Peter Craven set the Oxford track record on the 9th May 1963 in his Golden Helmet encounter against the great Ove Fundin in a time of 63 seconds.Did this record stand until 1981??? when Dave Perks set a record of 61 seconds, or was it broken in 1974/75? when the track was supposingly changed in the pre season.????

If I recall the track was shortened from 354 yards (Peter's record) to 350 yards during the 1973 season.

Going back through my Oxford NL programme's i would say Shields, Rumsey, Old George ( still good) Joe Owen, Rod Hunter, Sampson, Perks were riders i admired around Cowley.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Going back through my Oxford NL programme's i would say Shields, Rumsey, Old George ( still good) Joe Owen, Rod Hunter, Sampson, Perks were riders i admired around Cowley.

Martin Yeates and Derek Harrison were also exceptional exponents around Cowley however Graham Drury always looked awkward and couldn't team ride for toffee!

33 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Martin Yeates and Derek Harrison were also exceptional exponents around Cowley however Graham Drury always looked awkward and couldn't team ride for toffee!

Potentially Shields would have to be near the top of the NL riders who rode for Oxford.Fast exciting he could of reached a higher level i have no doubt about that.Away riders odviously the same old suspect's Jackson, Etheridge, T.Owen were exceptional team men but hand on heart Oxford were two good a club to ever be in the N.L.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Potentially Shields would have to be near the top of the NL riders who rode for Oxford.Fast exciting he could of reached a higher level i have no doubt about that.Away riders odviously the same old suspect's Jackson, Etheridge, T.Owen were exceptional team men but hand on heart Oxford were two good a club to ever be in the N.L.

I would agree Sid but I got to see the best of both worlds...National League speedway at Oxford and British League at White City and Swindon with Eastbourne thrown in for good measure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I would agree Sid but I got to see the best of both worlds...National League speedway at Oxford and British League at White City and Swindon with Eastbourne thrown in for good measure!

Eastbourne that was an eye opener going there for the first time,  i can remember them having a claxon there to.Crayford was even smaller a real frying pan. 

36 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Eastbourne that was an eye opener going there for the first time,  i can remember them having a claxon there to.Crayford was even smaller a real frying pan. 

Used to enjoy my visits to Arlington and due to the promotional tie-up got to see many of the lads competing in the second halves at Cowley...great days!

Peter Craven also set the Wimbledon track record at some point. I wonder how many records he set before his demise in 1963?