British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1957 Southern Area League

I've got a point kicking in the for/against totals of Aldershot and Rye House.

The results I have are:

13/07 Aldershot 51 Rye 32

14/07 Rye 52 Aldershot 29

07/09 Aldershot 60 Rye 23

08/09 Rye 48 Aldershot 35

Can someone please confirm these results? 

7 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

13/07 Aldershot 51 Rye 32   Confirmed.

14/07 Rye 52 Aldershot 29   Confirmed.

07/09 Aldershot 60 Rye 23   Aldershot 59 Rye House 23.  Speedway Star and Speedway World both reported 60-23; in Peter Morrish's 'British Speedway Leagues 1946 - 1964' it is shown as 59-23.

08/09 Rye 48 Aldershot 35   Confirmed.

Edited by BL65

Guest compost
57 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Re Aldershot 60/59 Rye House 23

The Speedway Researcher file for Aldershot has the score as 60-23. 

The listed heat results and rider scorecard both tally 60 for Aldershot.

So any idea as to what happened to the missing Poppies point ?

Edited by compost

40 minutes ago, compost said:

Re Aldershot 60/59 Rye House 23

The Speedway Researcher file for Aldershot has the score as 60-23. 

The listed heat results and rider scorecard both tally 60 for Aldershot.

So any idea as to what happened to the missing Poppies point ?

Unfortunately not.... yet.  The league tables published in the Speedway Star included the score of 60-23 up until 2nd November, when the final table reflected the amendment to 59-23, but with no explanation given. 

Edited by BL65
Additional information.

Good stuff, thank you.

I spent a while double checking the Researcher files last night and discovered that in the 07/09 report Dave Slater is missing from the individual scorechart. He scores 2 (0, 0, 1, 1). It didn't resolve the extra point issue of course but perhaps it could be a lead.

Guest compost
37 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Good stuff, thank you.

I spent a while double checking the Researcher files last night and discovered that in the 07/09 report Dave Slater is missing from the individual scorechart. He scores 2 (0, 0, 1, 1). It didn't resolve the extra point issue of course but perhaps it could be a lead.

The Researcher file is definitly wrong in the rider scorecard for this match.  Pratt is listed as having ridden in 4 heats with a total of 4 - 2 and not the 3 - 1 given on the card (his and Slaters missing points give the Roosters their tally of 23 as expected).

Neither matters as both are Rye riders and it isn't the Rye total that appears wrong.

6 minutes ago, compost said:

The Researcher file is definitly wrong in the rider scorecard for this match.  Pratt is listed as having ridden in 4 heats with a total of 4 - 2 and not the 3 - 1 given on the card (his and Slaters missing points give the Roosters their tally of 23 as expected).

Neither matters as both are Rye riders and it isn't the Rye total that appears wrong.

I was about to mention that the riders' totals in the close season SAL track reviews in the Star differ regarding several riders compared to the figures in the 1946-1964 book, with a missing point for Colin Pratt in the Star being one of them.  Also, it is quite possible that the reports/scores in the Star and World were from the same source; the Researcher information may have been obtained from a marked programme, which compounds the 60 point mystery, unless the programme was filled in by the Star reporter!

Where are CSI: Aldershot when you need them?

I forgot to mention the Colin Pratt "error" (a word I'm reluctant to use because I fully appreciate the difficulty in ascertaining the facts from back in the day).

All I can add at this point is the 59-23 result tallies with the S.A.L. table on the SGB website, which will do nicely for my purposes.

Just as a sideline on this, I checked through the Rye House results for 1957. Out of the ten SAL fixtures they raced, only one resulted in a score that added up to 84!

20 hours ago, norbold said:

Just as a sideline on this, I checked through the Rye House results for 1957. Out of the ten SAL fixtures they raced, only one resulted in a score that added up to 84!

In 3 of the 5 Rye House challenge matches that season there was also a 'missing' point.