British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

1976 GBL and NNL Body Colours YouTube Video

I have just put on YouTUbe a video with all of the 1976 Gulf British League and New National League teams body colours.

The image I personally made using scalable vector graphics ( SVG) but the images in the still look very good from my high quality PNG files in 1080p.

The youTube link is https://youtu.be/Nz9ProH9Cxg

If people link the video I may put some body colours up on YouTube for everyone to enjoy once I have made them.

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 4

Great vid, but just wondering why you used a generic Dons jacket rather than the 1976 version with the yellow border?

I love to see the old colours, but I'm amazed there is no central online resource with all teams and versions. So many of the really old ones are only seen in black and white photos, so we don't always know exact colours.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Great vid, but just wondering why you used a generic Dons jacket rather than the 1976 version with the yellow border?

I love to see the old colours, but I'm amazed there is no central online resource with all teams and versions. So many of the really old ones are only seen in black and white photos, so we don't always know exact colours.

Steve

Hi Steve 

I started attending Wimbledon in 1976 and I cannot remember the 1976 Wimbledon colours with the yellow border (all a long time ago). This is very easy to do and I add one of these in a new video on Wednesday as I do not the time tonight. Was this a thick yellow border or thin?

I have also made to add to the 1976 collection for the Wednesday update - the correct Newport one with the Welsh Dragon behind the letter N.

The second (Red) White City body colour and various one's with the Gulf logo badge on them that include Hackney, Poole, Reading and Swindon. Plus a Halifax body bib with a number on it.

I know that Wimbledon body colours in 1976 did have numbers on them but the number 1 was retired for the season after Tommy's tragic accident, so i do not whether I will make with a number on it or not.

I now about the B&W of body colours I had to go through loads of Speedway Stars and Speedway Express and book for colour images plus of course looking online, but it was worth the effort. Hopefully I will be able to make a 1976 New National League video also in time.

Edited by Robbie B

A warm, nostalgic trip down memory lane! A minor correction to the Ipswich one, it had a black border, roughly the same width as the the Cradley one. Don't they look far more impressive than today's bland race suits which often feature colours that don't relate at all to the side's history and club motifs that need a telescope to be seen?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Hi Steve 

I started attending Wimbledon in 1976 and I cannot remember the 1976 Wimbledon colours with the yellow border (all a long time ago). This is very easy to do and I add one of these in a new video on Wednesday as I do not the time tonight. Was this a thick yellow border or thin?

I have also made to add to the 1976 collection for the Wednesday update - the correct Newport one with the Welsh Dragon behind the letter N.

The second (Red) White City body colour and various one's with the Gulf logo badge on them that include Hackney, Poole, Reading and Swindon. Plus a Halifax body bib with a number on it.

I know that Wimbledon body colours in 1976 did have numbers on them but the number 1 was retired for the season after Tommy's tragic accident, so i do not whether I will make with a number on it or not.

I now about the B&W of body colours I had to go through loads of Speedway Stars and Speedway Express and book for colour images plus of course looking online, but it was worth the effort. Hopefully I will be able to make a 1976 New National League video also in time.

They first used a narrow yellow border on a red background in 1974, and that lasted until they went to the chevrons in 1977.  There are some pics of the 1976 jackets on the Retro Speedway gallery Wimbledon page.

You know those body-colour icons that many BSF users used for their avatars? I made those! I had a freeware icon designer, and although some people made some new icons, the vast majority were mine. That was tough trying to find exact designs and colours, and there are still a few I don't know. Of course, pre-1970, they didn't change the bloody things every year (except for teams like Nelson and Doncaster)...

Steve

• Like 1

A great video i wish those race jackets were about today they are one way of preserving the club's history.Have to say Halifax and Wolverhampton have to be my favourites not impressed with the Leicester one that year i always loved there original one.

• Like 1

Cracking video, always liked the Hackney checkerboard look but the Halifax one is a cracker!! Good stuff!!

• Like 1

Always liked race bibs (never a fan of team suits) and the simpler ones were always the more effective in my view. Belle Vue's was always iconic and the Lion of Wembley.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Always liked race bibs (never a fan of team suits) and the simpler ones were always the more effective in my view. Belle Vue's was always iconic and the Lion of Wembley.

What about the Wobin steve.

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

What about the Wobin steve.

...or even the 'Budgie' Sid? We at Oxford used to refer to Swindon as the Swindon "Budgies" and Reading the Reading "Berks". We had Dave Lanning to thank for that...how we could do with another Dave Lanning now. He knew how to build up the atmosphere. After the introduction of the riders at Cowley he always used to finish off by announcing "Let battle commence!"

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...or even the 'Budgie' Sid? We at Oxford used to refer to Swindon as the Swindon "Budgies" and Reading the Reading "Berks". We had Dave Lanning to thank for that...how we could do with another Dave Lanning now. He knew how to build up the atmosphere. After the introduction of the riders at Cowley he always used to finish off by announcing "Let battle commence!"

Lanning was a survivor, he sorted the 1980 bonus out for the Reading Racers title winning  team i believe he was personally screwed over of his own payment.??? Lanning was a great commentator and brought loads to speedway like Len Silver who i saw Sunday you have to admire both of them for there longevity in the sport.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your comments and help about informing me what any mistakes and other information..

I will be added these to the new video going up on YouTube very soon. I will post the new YouTube address and amend the old one as soon as possible.

I will be working on a 1976 New national League bib video and also a iconic team version with Wembley, New Cross, Southampton amongst many others I have not made these yet so it will take me a few days.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Many thanks for your comments and help about informing me what any mistakes and other information..

I will be added these to the new video going up on YouTube very soon. I will post the new YouTube address and amend the old one as soon as possible.

I will be working on a 1976 New national League bib video and also a iconic team version with Wembley, New Cross, Southampton amongst many others I have not made these yet so it will take me a few days.

The City "Rebels" one shown on the DVD was of course their 'home' bib...they wore the traditional Confederate Red desigh away from home...a great site and brings back so many memories! Any chance of a National League selection?

• Like 1

The Hull race jacket is not correct for 1976.

They were not sponsored by Lada back then and I don't think the word VIKINGS appeared on the jacket either in 1976. I believe it was just the Viking head with the word HULL above that year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

The Hull race jacket is not correct for 1976.

They were not sponsored by Lada back then and I don't think the word VIKINGS appeared on the jacket either in 1976. I believe it was just the Viking head with the word HULL above that year.

I have double checked this with the 1977 Speedway yearbook and various Hull programmes from 1976 amongst other things and you are correct.

I have now made the correct 1976 Hull Bib many thanks for the info.

If anyone else has any information then please do let me know.

I will give it a couple hours or so in case i receive any new information then upload the new video to YouTube with th extra 1976 GBL race bibs.

Edited by Robbie B