British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

1976 GBL and NNL Body Colours YouTube Video

The new video has now been uploaded to YouTube - enjoy.

The new link address is in post number 1

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbie B said:

The new video has now been uploaded to YouTube - enjoy.

The new link address is in post number 1

Thanks for adding the 'away' bib of the City "Rebels". A great compilation and the choice of music adds to the nostalgia!

• Like 1

Not a problem Steve it only took a few minutes to make a new White City body bib.

i have already started work on the 1976 New National League bibs. The Paisley one looks really nice.

I have just updated hopefully the version of the video.

I have redrawn the Birmingham, Reading and Sheffield images as I knew I could have done better with them.

The new YouTube address in post number 1

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

I have just discovered that Leicester had two different race bibs in 1976. 

I came across a pictures of Reidar Eide and others teammates in 1976 editions of Speedway Mail.

Can anyone please inform me did Workington use two different race bibs in 1976 the one with big C on it,  and the one the one with the shield on it?

On 6/25/2019 at 9:01 PM, chunky said:

They first used a narrow yellow border on a red background in 1974, and that lasted until they went to the chevrons in 1977.  There are some pics of the 1976 jackets on the Retro Speedway gallery Wimbledon page.

You know those body-colour icons that many BSF users used for their avatars? I made those! I had a freeware icon designer, and although some people made some new icons, the vast majority were mine. That was tough trying to find exact designs and colours, and there are still a few I don't know. Of course, pre-1970, they didn't change the bloody things every year (except for teams like Nelson and Doncaster)...

Steve

1974 had no yellow border steve. It was an all red one piece assembly with velcro straps instead of webbing. Unbelievably the jacket was reversible with a different design on the inside. The reason i know all of this, is because i have Reg Luckhurst's original number 7 jacket in my collection!

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

1974 had no yellow border steve. It was an all red one piece assembly with velcro straps instead of webbing. Unbelievably the jacket was reversible with a different design on the inside. The reason i know all of this, is because i have Reg Luckhurst's original number 7 jacket in my collection!

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking!  That was the year when they used the one-piece with the logo in the top corner.  Never knew it was reversible, though!  I will admit that I didn't actually go that much between 73 and 75; my parents had lost interest, and I wasn't old enough to go on my own.  As I said, I went occasionally, most notably the week after Paul Dowdall beat Eric Boocock (1974), and the Laurels in 1975.   That was the last time I saw Tommy...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Only Teeside body bib to do now :D

All NNL body bib shave now been done Teeside took nearly 4 hours to complete, but it was worth it as it looks stunning.

A new video with all of the 1976 body bibs will on YouTube and I will update post number of this post with the new address ASAP on Sunday Inow off for something to eat.

Edited by Robbie B

My YouTube video featuring all 37 competing teams from either the 1976 Gulf British League and New National League is now LIVE  the link is on page 1 of this post.

Edited by Robbie B

5 hours ago, Robbie B said:

My YouTube video featuring all 37 competing teams from either the 1976 Gulf British League and New National League is now LIVE  the link is on page 1 of this post and here https://youtu.be/mSYDrwtNkAg

Fabulous link! Thanks for the memories!

• Like 1

So glad that  you like it Steve

I'm currently working on a new shape for my graphic as I think that mt current one is too curvy and the new is much better. When I updated the video I will also update the link to YouTube.

• Like 1

Super stuff!Great that the NL has been added, some great bibs there. Got to agree with you, the Teeside one is a cracker!!

• Like 1

It was well worth all my effort making all of these bibs and bringing them to life in colour.

It would be nice  if anyone knows of any articles about the companies that made them and I know from recreating them on my computer that they were superb craftspeople and highly talented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie B said:

It was well worth all my effort making all of these bibs and bringing them to life in colour.

It would be nice  if anyone knows of any articles about the companies that made them and I know from recreating them on my computer that they were superb craftspeople and highly talented.

I know that Gerald Smitherman (one time Ellesmere Port and Oxford) made some under his company name 'GTS'. Ivan Mauger first commissioned him to make a seat when Gerald took part in one of Ivan's training schools I recall.

1 hour ago, Robbie B said:

Thanks for the time and effort Robbie, really great stuff the memories came flooding back.

• Like 1

Have to say the Teeside  race jacket is superb think of Teeside i always think of Pete Reading love the Ellesmere Port racejacket  to.

• Like 1