British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Poole vs BV. Premiership. 27/06/19

18 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

Just to use this match as a reference as you said the last decade or so Poole have called meetings off to suit them...

Poole v Ipswich September 10th 2009:-

Poole 35 - Ipswich 37 .... Meeting abandoned after 12 heats due to 10pm curfew.

:oops::oops::oops:

Thanks for that, it’s goes someway to prove my point as I said only ninety odd percent of the time would meetings be called with the home team in front. 

I actually didn’t expect it would be ten years ago to find an example but well done, keep them coming. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, acef said:

It's good that you endorse the rulings. My argument is poole have often got away with bending or breaking them, yet as soon  BV pulled a fast one they were done

I'm quite prepared to accept that where there may be a loophole in the rules - which would be open for any club to exploit - then Poole may well have been better or quicker than others in so doing?!

But if there are loopholes in the first place then that is down to the authorities to correct them. If Poole had continually 'broken' any rules then they would have been taken to task by the Management Committee and formally punished by the SCB.

So lets see the evidence rather than just an opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ouch said:

Thanks for that, it’s goes someway to prove my point as I said only ninety odd percent of the time would meetings be called with the home team in front. 

I actually didn’t expect it would be ten years ago to find an example but well done, keep them coming. 

The reason it’s nearly 10 years ago is because that is the last time, until Thursday of this week, that I recall Poole calling off a meeting due to a curfew.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

The reason it’s nearly 10 years ago is because that is the last time, until Thursday of this week, that I recall Poole calling off a meeting due to a curfew.

Yes, good point. They would normal keep going as many Poole meetings have played on after 10.15pm. You’re right that its extremely rare for Poole not to go the full distance. 

The one ten years ago had nothing riding on it as win or lose Poole we’re out of the play offs, so there was no need to carry on. 

Thanks for the info. 

Perhaps if BV fans are feeling they have been hard done by with the curfew, they will hunt out Mark Lemon on Twitter or at the stadium on Monday and ask him directly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Perhaps if BV fans are feeling they have been hard done by with the curfew, they will hunt out Mark Lemon on Twitter or at the stadium on Monday and ask him directly.

Steve you knew as soon as there was talk of a curfew, Belle Vue fans would accuse us of manipulating it even though they had 4 heats to get in front after the delay.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

From  reading the various posts/interviews, I get the impression that both teams were happy with the result. Poole got their 3 points, and with BV top of the League anyway they were more than happy with their 1 point for being less than 6 points behind.

Having had a miserable time recently away from home but still being on top, I think Lemon was happy to bag the 1 point once that point had been reached in the meeting. Especially following their last meeting at Poole.

(When I say happy - I mean the result not the meeting as for sure Poole not happy to lose 2 riders to nasty injuries).

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
additional comment
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

From  reading the various posts/interviews, I get the impression that both teams were happy with the result. Poole got their 3 points, and with BV top of the League anyway they were more than happy with their 1 point for being less than 6 points behind.

Having had a miserable time recently away from home but still being on top, I think Lemon was happy to bag the 1 point once that point had been reached in the meeting. Especially following their last meeting at Poole.

(When I say happy - I mean the result not the meeting as for sure Poole not happy to lose 2 riders to nasty injuries).

I've got no issues with the Curfew it couldn't be helped.  But I think with 3 races to go the Aces would of got at least a draw.  Heats 13 and 15 with Max and Scotty would of seen us pull at least the 2 points back and a probable 3-3 in heat 14.

15 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

I've got no issues with the Curfew it couldn't be helped.  But I think with 3 races to go the Aces would of got at least a draw.  Heats 13 and 15 with Max and Scotty would of seen us pull at least the 2 points back and a probable 3-3 in heat 14.

Can't really say that anything could happen, could have gone either way tbh. 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Steve you knew as soon as there was talk of a curfew, Belle Vue fans would accuse us of manipulating it even though they had 4 heats to get in front after the delay.

'Some'  Belle Vue fans ....Thank you

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Can't really say that anything could happen, could have gone either way tbh. 

Of course but I think the Aces odds of scoring more in those last 3 heats were higher than Poole's.  If the meeting that was a draw at the NSS was postponed at heat 12 Poole wouldn't of picked up a point.

Edited by SUPERACE

probably mark lemon looked at it and readily agreed to the 10-15 cut off point,realising no way would the last few heats be run but that paul starke would have to take 3 consecutive rides and that would edge the advantage to the aces,a view i would have to agree with however paul got the all important point to win the match

It was just a shame we lost heat 13 due to the curfew set by the referee and the team manager's 

Anyway all done and dusted now

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I'm quite prepared to accept that where there may be a loophole in the rules - which would be open for any club to exploit - then Poole may well have been better or quicker than others in so doing?!

But if there are loopholes in the first place then that is down to the authorities to correct them. If Poole had continually 'broken' any rules then they would have been taken to task by the Management Committee and formally punished by the SCB.

So lets see the evidence rather than just an opinion.

Perhaps the morally right thing to do would be to point out how the loophole could be exploited to fellow promoters without actually exploiting it and press for it to be closed......:)