British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ellioth4

Somerset V Redcar (Champ) 26/06/19

Speedway Updates site are looking for a texter to cover this meeting tonight. If anyone can support, please send me a private message with your mobile number. 

Thanks

Teams as per Rebels WEB site http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.36780

SOMERSET: Rory Schlein, Todd Kurtz, Valentin Grobauer, Nico Covatti, Chris Harris, Anders Rowe, Henry Atkins.
REDCAR: Charles Wright, Tom Bacon, Ulrich Ostergaard, Jordan Stewart, Michael Palm Toft, Nathan Greaves, Jack Smith.

A point would be very acceptable for the Bears tonight. A tough ask I know, but it's not out of the question. UTB !!

I’m heading along to this meeting.   Looking forward to it.   

Hard luck Redcar, was Wright allowed extra time before he was excluded,  having been in the previous race?

49 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Hard luck Redcar, was Wright allowed extra time before he was excluded,  having been in the previous race?

Yes

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, comet49 said:

Yep! There appeared to be a mis-understanding from team manager about when interval was being held so neither Redcar rider were ready when 2 mins put on.   Ulrich just made it but Charles although got through out gate wasn’t ready in time.  Not sure why he wasn’t put off 15 meters and then reserve smith excluded under 2 mins as well. Cost Redcar a potential 5-1 for sure 

Overall a pretty good meeting track was as slick as i’d ever seen at OTA / didn’t stop decent racing - Schlein and Covatti excellent for Rebels   Rowe improved since last time I saw him in April

Wright excellent for the Bears, MPT very good in first 3 rides, Stewart and Ostergaard both had a good and poor rides.  Smith one excellent ride and a nasty tumble (appeared okay)

Presentation a lot better tonight - except choice of music we were treated too Bucks Fizz & Venga Boys!!!! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The H Man said:

Overall a pretty good meeting track was as slick as i’d ever seen at OTA / didn’t stop decent racing 

Totally agree about track haven't seen a blue line on turns 1 & 2 for a long time

Photo's here Somerset v Redcar Photo's

Slideshow here Somerset v Redcar Slideshow

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The H Man said:

Yep! There appeared to be a mis-understanding from team manager about when interval was being held so neither Redcar rider were ready when 2 mins put on.   Ulrich just made it but Charles although got through out gate wasn’t ready in time.  Not sure why he wasn’t put off 15 meters and then reserve smith excluded under 2 mins as well. Cost Redcar a potential 5-1 for sure 

Overall a pretty good meeting track was as slick as i’d ever seen at OTA / didn’t stop decent racing - Schlein and Covatti excellent for Rebels   Rowe improved since last time I saw him in April

Wright excellent for the Bears, MPT very good in first 3 rides, Stewart and Ostergaard both had a good and poor rides.  Smith one excellent ride and a nasty tumble (appeared okay)

Presentation a lot better tonight - except choice of music we were treated too Bucks Fizz & Venga Boys!!!! 

Exactly my sentiments too...all of it.

Shame it was so slick...riders were looking for dirt on the outside line, but lost ground when they tried more often than not. Harris tried on a couple times against Wright and then went back to the blue line...he even seemed to shake his head and gesticulate about it after the race.

Haven't been a regular for a couple seasons now...has the track been altered? Looks completely flat with no banking at all on the corners now.

Used to love watching Charles hit that outside line and ride the fence.

1 hour ago, idh said:

Totally agree about track haven't seen a blue line on turns 1 & 2 for a long time

Photo's here Somerset v Redcar Photo's

Slideshow here Somerset v Redcar Slideshow

I'd would imagine the track will have been prepared with one eye on the opposition, particularly their #1, problem with that is that generally Charles can make better starts than Bomber so you end up ruining your own #5's chances of entertaining the crowd. Still, win at all costs is the way down their. Result was never in doubt as soon as the rebels named their #8 Ronnie in the box. Seem to recall last time Redcar were their he declared a race on the 2nd lap when Charles was in 3rd place with "no hope of catching the rebels pair" :t:

1 hour ago, wtf said:

I'd would imagine the track will have been prepared with one eye on the opposition, particularly their #1, problem with that is that generally Charles can make better starts than Bomber so you end up ruining your own #5's chances of entertaining the crowd. Still, win at all costs is the way down their. Result was never in doubt as soon as the rebels named their #8 Ronnie in the box. Seem to recall last time Redcar were their he declared a race on the 2nd lap when Charles was in 3rd place with "no hope of catching the rebels pair" :t:

Not that you're bitter........

Interesting that the meeting report quotes Garry May as saying they just need to get Grobauer 'going a bit more consistently'. I'd say he's doing okay/as expected so far and that it's Kurtz who needs to show some improvement more than anyone else.

Also see from the website that £1,174.50 was collected for Sam Norris, best wishes to him and his family for a full recovery

• Like 1

Great to see such generosity by the crowd for Sam. Not so great a result for the Bears. To be honest, I'm really struggling to understand quite how it can be that teams don't know when the interval will be at a meeting.

Is it not part of the referees duties to ensure BOTH teams know after which heat, the interval will be held ???

Ironic we can communicate instantly to far corners of the globe, and yet not communicate from a referees box to yards away ?

Anything to make the team managers job harder I suppose. Sheesh !!

• Like 1

Not sure how they didn't know when the interval was, as it was extended. The riders came around the crowd during the extended interval to do the collection.

Think the Redcar manager just Ballsed  it up as 3 riders were at gate and Wright was on track for at least 30 seconds but not at line. He should also have gone from 15m imo...far better chance of points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gresham said:

Not sure how they didn't know when the interval was, as it was extended. The riders came around the crowd during the extended interval to do the collection.

Think the Redcar manager just Ballsed  it up as 3 riders were at gate and Wright was on track for at least 30 seconds but not at line. He should also have gone from 15m imo...far better chance of points.

The reason Wright didn't make the 2 mins was because he was wanting to change his tyre as, due to the track conditions, his was wrecked . Smith was still repairing his bike after being taken off and the ref would not give any extra time to either rider for repairs despite Wright having two on the trot.

Apparently it got heated in the pits with the ref as he eventually allowed riders ( from both teams ) to use ' spare worn ' tyres as track conditions had worn out most edges. He only did this after heat 12 and excluding Wright hence him not going off 15 m as he wasn't allowed to replace his tyre.

Track doctoring at its best? Somerset will claim their tactics on track prep worked as they won but not a great spectacle.

By the way, the ref has no say on intervals, that's down to the home management.

image.jpeg

Edited by Fortythirtyeight
Clarity
  • Like 1