British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1956 Queries

Battling manfully onward with 1956:

30/03/1956 Southampton v Monarkerna 54-42 CONFIRM DATE & RESULT

10/07/1956 Southampton World Championship QR Winner: Len Williams DATE & RESULT

29/07/1956 California v Southern Rovers (SAL) DATE & OUTCOME (postponed?)

26/08/1956 Rye House Brian Crutcher Trophy DATE & OUTCOME (postponed?)

27/08/1956 Southampton Pictorial Trophy Winner: Edwards DATE & RESULT (forename?)

06/09/1956 Oxford King's Of Oxford Trophy DATE & OUTCOME (postponed? this meeting appears to have taken place 7 days later)

16/09/1956 Eastbourne Sussex Championship Winner: Merv Hannan DATE & RESULT

09/10/1956 Southampton Ernie Rawlins Memorial Trophy Winner: Dick Bradley DATE & RESULT

21/10/1956 Rye House v California (Challenge) DATE & OUTCOME (no result posted)

The Speedway Researcher California file carries details for a home match with Rye House but no date. Result 44-39. Any further info on this one since publication?

London White City shows as having run in 1956 but my list merely states "fixtures incomplete". Any info available?

On 6/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, daveallan81 said:

Battling manfully onward with 1956:

30/03/1956 Southampton v Monarkerna 54-42 CONFIRM DATE & RESULT   Date and score confirmed from programme and report.

10/07/1956 Southampton World Championship QR Winner: Len Williams DATE & RESULT Date confirmed; Ian Williams (not Len) 15, Alby Golden 12, Bert Roger & Pete Lansdale 10.

29/07/1956 California v Southern Rovers (SAL) DATE & OUTCOME (postponed?)  Speedway Star fixture list for the week actually stated ‘Sunday 29th July California, no meeting’.

26/08/1956 Rye House Brian Crutcher Trophy DATE & OUTCOME (postponed?)  Speedway Star reported that the meeting was abandoned without a race being run due to torrential rain, with a large crowd having assembled.

27/08/1956 Southampton Pictorial Trophy Winner: Edwards DATE & RESULT (forename?)   Date confirmed; Bert Edwards 14, Ken McKinlay 13, Bradley, Hanham & Rawlins 11.

06/09/1956 Oxford King's Of Oxford Trophy DATE & OUTCOME (postponed? this meeting appears to have taken place 7 days later)  Confirmed that the meeting on 6th September was rained off.  The programme was re-issued for the staging on 13th September.

16/09/1956 Eastbourne Sussex Championship Winner: Merv Hannan DATE & RESULT  Date confirmed; qualifying heats then a final won by Merv Hannan from Ray Cresp (Bettis and Gooddy both fell).

09/10/1956 Southampton Ernie Rawlins Memorial Trophy Winner: Dick Bradley DATE & RESULT  Date confirmed; Dick Bradley 14 beat Brian Hanham 14 in a run-off, George White 11.

21/10/1956 Rye House v California (Challenge) DATE & OUTCOME (no result posted)  The Rye House programme for the meeting on 14th October included a complete fixture list for the year, with that meeting shown as the last one, with no reference to a further meeting on 21st October.  There was also no mention of such a forthcoming meeting in the Speedway Star.

The Speedway Researcher California file carries details for a home match with Rye House but no date. Result 44-39. Any further info on this one since publication?  The website http://www.speedwaychampions.com/br-match-race-champs.php shows that Vic Ridgeon only met Jimmy Gleed once in the Silver Sash and that was at the meeting on 6th May.  The scratch race final on 6th May was the Hurricane Handicap, the same as in the undated meeting details shown on the Speedway Researcher file.  The match result for this meeting on 6th May is correctly recorded.  The riders in the undated meeting are identical to those in the meeting for 6th May and I believe that the undated meeting results shown are fictitious (as is occasionally found in old programmes), with no additional meeting having taken place.

London White City shows as having run in 1956 but my list merely states "fixtures incomplete". Any info available?  30th May; this was the annual Cavalcade of Sport, which included a handful of ‘speedway races’ on the athletics track, with competitors usually riding Vespa machines.  This was the only meeting staged at White City that year.

Edited by BL65
Amended result for Eastbourne 16/09/1956.
  • Like 1

26/08/1956 Rye House Brian Crutcher Trophy DATE & OUTCOME (postponed?)  Speedway Star reported that the meeting was abandoned without a race being run due to torrential rain, with a large crowd having assembled.

The 1957 programme for that year's Brian Crutcher Trophy says, "Today we stage the Brian Crutcher Trophy. I hope the weather will be kinder than last year when we had to cancel the meeting."

21/10/1956 Rye House v California (Challenge) DATE & OUTCOME (no result posted)  The Rye House programme for the meeting on 14th October included a complete fixture list for the year, with that meeting shown as the last one, with no reference to a further meeting on 21st October.  There was also no mention of such a forthcoming meeting in the Speedway Star.

1956 programmes up to 26 August show this fixture on the forthcoming fixtures list. On 9 September programme, a further "Open" fixture is shown on 28 October. On the programme for 23 September, both these dates are given but with nothing to say what the fixtures were. On 7 October, the 21 October fixture reverts to being Rye House v. California and the 28 October fixture disappears. Then, as BL65 says, the 21 October fixture also disappears on the 14 October programme and I have not seen a programme for 21 October.

Edited by norbold
Further information
  • Like 1

I concur with the analysis above on the three California related queries.

As a matter of interest what do you record for the 1 July cup meeting between California and Rye House?

28 minutes ago, arnieg said:

As a matter of interest what do you record for the 1 July cup meeting between California and Rye House?

I have this one as the SAL Cup Final, 1st Leg, with the score 61½-45½, but the scorers on the Speedway Researcher site do not add up to these totals and do not match those listed in the Speedway Star match report, which are:

California - Shepherd 7½ (not 6½), Mould 14 (not 13), Sharp 8, Gilbertson 11 (not 9), Gleed 9, Walton 2, Webb 7, Gutteridge 3

Rye House - Brett 2½ (not 1½), Ridgeon 16 (not 15), Veal 3, Slater 6, Croombs 13, King 0 (not 2), Chalkley 4, Searle 1 (not 0)

With regards to the league cup, were the 2 semi-finals one-legged affairs with Rye House defeating Southern Rovers 58-50 on 10th June and California defeating Eastbourne 61-46 on the 17th?

26 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

With regards to the league cup, were the 2 semi-finals one-legged affairs with Rye House defeating Southern Rovers 58-50 on 10th June and California defeating Eastbourne 61-46 on the 17th?

They were one-legged ties.

Cheers. I hadn't thought to check the League Cup fixtures out, I had wrongly assumed it was just an unfinished competition with only 4 fixtures.

Just checking some old Rye House programmes and the final tie, California v. Rye House on 1 July, was originally scheduled to be a League match. It was changed to a Cup Final leg after Rye House and California won their semis. The League match was rescheduled to 16 September. Unfortunately I don't have the programme for 1 July, but later programmes give the result as 61-47 to California...though they also give the result of the home leg on 8 July as 38-40 to California, when it was, in fact, 70-38 to Rye House. So, I guess we can discount their results list!!!

7 hours ago, norbold said:

Just checking some old Rye House programmes and the final tie, California v. Rye House on 1 July, was originally scheduled to be a League match. It was changed to a Cup Final leg after Rye House and California won their semis. The League match was rescheduled to 16 September. Unfortunately I don't have the programme for 1 July, but later programmes give the result as 61-47 to California...though they also give the result of the home leg on 8 July as 38-40 to California, when it was, in fact, 70-38 to Rye House. So, I guess we can discount their results list!!!

10 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

Cheers. I hadn't thought to check the League Cup fixtures out, I had wrongly assumed it was just an unfinished competition with only 4 fixtures.

13 hours ago, arnieg said:

Having looked into this a bit further, I believe that the correct result was California 60.5 Rye House 46.5.  

An explanation is provided in the booklet ‘California Speedway, The Southern Area League Years of the Poppies 1954-57’ by Bryan Horsnell, which includes the following:
In the first leg of the S.A.L. Cup Final, at Longmoor, there was the rare occurrence of a dead heat for second place, in Heat 8, which caused some confusion for the Announcer and the spectators.  This resulted in some fans giving both California’s Phil Shepherd and Rye House’s Brian Brett – who dead heated – 2 points each in their programmes.  It should, of course, have been 1.5 points each!  The final match result should have been 60.5-46.5........ But Speedway Star gave the result as 61.5-45.5 and even their individual points scores – from both teams- didn’t tally with the two filled-in programmes that I have seen for the match. 

With other minor corrections the revised details would be:

California

Phil Shepherd       1’  2’  1½ 2  X          6½   2                  

Peter Mould          2   3   3   2   3  1’   14      1

Ron Sharp              F   1   3   2   2           8           

Ross Gilbertson    3   3   0   0   3   2   11          

Jim Gleed              2   3   1’  2’  1          9      2

Ron Walton           0   X   2’  0                2      1

Ron Webb             3   3   1                     7           

Roy Gutteridge     1   2’                         3      1

Rye House

Brian Brett             0   E   1½ 0  0           1½                        

Vic Ridgeon           3   1   3   3   3   3   16          

Porky Veal             1’  0   1   1   1           4      1                    

Bobby Croombs    3   2   3   2   3        13

Gerry King             0   0   1                     1                                                           

Dave Slater            2   2   0   F   2’ 0      6      1

Jim Chalkley          2   1   1                     4           

Les Searle              0   1   E                      1           

Ht 1: Ridgeon, Mould, Shepherd, Brett                           67.0        3              3                3              3

Ht 2: Gilbertson, Slater, Veal, Sharp (f)                           ?              3              3                6              6  

Ht 3: Croombs, Gleed, Ridgeon, Walton                         69.0        2              4                8            10

Ht 4: Webb, Chalkley, Gutteridge, Searle                       71.4        4              2              12            12

Ht 5: Mould, Croombs, Sharp, Veal                                  ?              4              2              16            14

Ht 6: Gilbertson, Slater, Walton (ex), Brett (mf)            69.0        3              2              19            16

Ht 7: Gleed, Shepherd, Veal, King                                    70.4        5              1              24            17

Ht 8: Sharp, Shepherd & Brett (dead heat), King          ?              4½           1½           28½         18½

Ht 9: Mould, Walton, Veal, Brett                                      69.2        5              1              33½        19½

Ht 10: Ridgeon, Sharp, Gleed, Slater                               66.4        3              3              36½        22½

Ht 11: Croombs, Mould, Chalkley, Gilbertson (nf)        68.4        2              4              38½        26½

Ht 12: Ridgeon, Shepherd, Veal, Gilbertson                   68.0        2              4              40½        30½

Ht 13: Mould, Gleed, Searle, Slater (f)                             69.0        5              1              45½        31½

Ht 14: Webb, Gutteridge, Chalkley, Searle (mf)            71.0        5              1              50½        32½

Ht 15: Gilbertson, Croombs, Gleed, Brett                       71.0        4              2              54½        34½

Ht 16: Ridgeon, Sharp, King, Walton                               69.0        2              4              56½        38½

Ht 17: Croombs, Slater, Webb, Shepherd (exc)             69.0        1              5              57½        43½

Ht 18: Ridgeon, Gilbertson, Mould, Slater                      ?              3              3              60½        46½

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

The official result of ht 8 was a 5-2! How do I know? Because I have the refs certified copy. Presumably it was corrected AFTER the meeting.