British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Edinburgh v Glasgow 28/6/19 CL @19-30

9 minutes ago, Cj69 said:

Let down by our 1 and 6 as has been said.  Wells had the effort but looked very slow.  Lawson showed a little bit more fight but still very poor turning up at 7 didn't help either. No idea what was going on with howarth, bikes ready in the pits when I went in.  Then started to hear rumours Glasgow complained about our use of him (again only rumours) so wasn't much of a surprise when announced he wasn't racing with an excuse of family emergency. If it was failed drugs test no sympathy and harsher punishment needed. 

Few dodgy calls and starts but that's a Derby isn't it.  Racing was OK the tightscore line keeping it interesting.  

Deserved win to Glasgow with cook superb backed up by Bickley with the others chipping in good points. 

Hugely impressed with Conor Coles who rode his heart out for only one point (would have been more if he didn't miscount). On that showing I would have him and Ruddick when he returns. 

Going to be a long season. Everyone I speak to seems to know of change in line up and they are all different.  

4 changes being made I heard

Well played Weggies, Cookie sublime. Cam v. Good for us, but no support whereas Tiggers reserve and middle pairing all won races. 

Our reserves poor but plenty of effort from Coles, who needs some arithmetic help, and good effort in heat 8. Please replace Willie with Luke when he returns. 

Ricky struggling, Pavlova a welcome return and Joel fine but missed start in 12 and then Willie got in the road.

As for RR, well 4 was a poor return, and if Kyle had too many shandies or powder, then he has bigger problems best dealt with via a ban and help. 

Long season at the dale, Weggies look competitive on all fronts.

As we enjoyed in 2014to 2016, when you have a sledgehammer at No 1 you can win anywhere.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

Well played Weggies, Cookie sublime. Cam v. Good for us, but no support whereas Tiggers reserve and middle pairing all won races. 

Our reserves poor but plenty of effort from Coles, who needs some arithmetic help, and good effort in heat 8. Please replace Willie with Luke when he returns. 

Ricky struggling, Pavlova a welcome return and Joel fine but missed start in 12 and then Willie got in the road.

As for RR, well 4 was a poor return, and if Kyle had too many shandies or powder, then he has bigger problems best dealt with via a ban and help. 

Long season at the dale, Weggies look competitive on all fronts.

As we enjoyed in 2014to 2016, when you have a sledgehammer at No 1 you can win anywhere.

Monarchs done well considering the Howarth situation ,but you had the feeling Tigers were going to edge it. Lawson is waste of space IMO.Coles put in a lot of effort for little reward, and Ricky is just not performing as aNo 1 this season.Decent meeting though.

57 minutes ago, Cj69 said:

Let down by our 1 and 6 as has been said.  Wells had the effort but looked very slow.  Lawson showed a little bit more fight but still very poor turning up at 7 didn't help either. No idea what was going on with howarth, bikes ready in the pits when I went in.  Then started to hear rumours Glasgow complained about our use of him (again only rumours) so wasn't much of a surprise when announced he wasn't racing with an excuse of family emergency. If it was failed drugs test no sympathy and harsher punishment needed. 

Few dodgy calls and starts but that's a Derby isn't it.  Racing was OK the tightscore line keeping it interesting.  

Deserved win to Glasgow with cook superb backed up by Bickley with the others chipping in good points. 

Hugely impressed with Conor Coles who rode his heart out for only one point (would have been more if he didn't miscount). On that showing I would have him and Ruddick when he returns. 

Going to be a long season. Everyone I speak to seems to know of change in line up and they are all different.  

Lawson showed “little bit more fight” when? He should have cleaned up tonight against other reserves and then he wouldn’t move over for Joel in a crucial race. He has unreliable equipment and despite living in Scotland invariably turns up late and totally unprepared.  No pride in either machinery or Kevlars. Riding a bike not inspected coupled with Howarth’s “family” crisis cost us the match. The two Cumbrian boys rode well and Glasgow can only beat what’s in front of them. Ricky is going through a bad spell perhaps highlighted more because of injuries to two riders who were expected to share the load. Our boys need to develop a more ruthless streak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

4 changes being made I heard

4 changes won’t be happening and for the drug test from what I was told he took some form sleeping tablets last night that had something in them that’s came up in the test. Apparently will be suspended until the test gets properly looked at.

1 minute ago, Mr Blobby said:

4 changes won’t be happening and for the drug test from what I was told he took some form sleeping tablets last night that had something in them that’s came up in the test. Apparently will be suspended until the test gets properly looked at.

Like most positive tests he will have a wind one at a later date and that will be the one that they go off. 

3 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

If it was sleeping tablets he should and would of came out and said that surely? Instead of making a family emergency excuse??? I smell bull

He never said that it was announced to the crowd that it was, obviously it’s not for Edinburgh to publicly announce that 

• Like 1

One of the first things They ask you when you get tested is if you are on any medication or taken any unprescribed medicine must have said no 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Like most positive tests he will have a wind one at a later date and that will be the one that they go off. 

It’s a urine and breath test that they do he will maybe have to be taken and a proper blood test given 

Edited by mac101

7 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

He never said that it was announced to the crowd that it was, obviously it’s not for Edinburgh to publicly announce that 

Maybe so but speedway has little enough credibility in this country without testing the punters further by lying blatantly to them. 

Imo what should have been announced was that Howarth had been drug tested and had failed. Any argument about why he had failed is for further investigation, at a later date, but why invent some nonsensical excuse to announce to a stadium full of folk? It simply erodes further any attempt to take this UK version of the sport seriously.

Edited by stewmac
  • Like 6

You would think by now that William Lawson would know if he has two bikes with him you`d think they would both be in the pits, examined and ready to go. Seems not, school boy error.:oops:

Edited by screm

12 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Maybe so but speedway has little enough credibility in this country without testing the punters further by lying blatantly to them. 

Imo what should have been announced was that Howarth had been drug tested and had failed. Any argument about why he had failed is for further investigation, at a later date, but why invent some nonsensical excuse to announce to a stadium full of folk? It simply erodes further any attempt to take this UK version of the sport seriously.

Have to agree with that , we had all heard the rumours at the track well before the start and that nonsensical announcement was met with howls of laughter .

But back to the racing , ok I know I'm a Tigger and any win at Armadale is special , but I really enjoyed last night and for the first time in a long time I could feel the tension of it all getting to me .

Thought we were in control for the first part of the meeting , then thought we had blown it when the Monarchs got a 5-0 followed by a 5-1 to go 6 points ahead , but the comeback led by Mr Maximum was brilliant . I knew if we could get a heat advantage in heat 14 , and get our noses back in front , then Craig would do the rest in the deciding race . 

I was in hospitality and it's brilliant up there , cracking view of the track and the food is fantastic and the staff so friendly . Made it a special night for my family , so thank you very much Mike Hunter .

• Like 3

Never felt as disappointed being an Edinburgh fan this season. Monarchs promotion always prided itself on assembling a team with riders with potential to improve, not necessarily riders who just maintain their starting average.

Ricky  - going through a bad patch. Needs more support to help him through it from the other 2-5 riders.

Cameron - our rider of season so far

Josh - Mr Entertainment, need him back fit urgently

Joel and Victor - great when they gate but struggle when at the back to make an impression

Justin and Willie - wouldn’t have had them back this season. Justin had a year out and struggled season before. Rode well in title winning years but need to remember he rode alongside Cookie. Lawson should be cleaning up at reserve. Not fully committed in his approach. 

Always great to watch Cookie, just a pity it’s in a red suit. Well done to young Bickley.

Surely if the Authorities are at a track testing, then Alcohol test  results are known at track- pass or fail. Drug testing is different and samples are taken under controlled conditions and sent away to the labs for the results.