British Speedway Forum
macinter

Speedway on the BBC

How many posters on here are aware of how it came about that the BBC showed coverage of the last one off world championship final?  It might come as a surprise. Sorry if some of you are not too interested 

Edited by macinter
Missed out part of the post
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, macinter said:

How many posters on here are aware of how it came about that the BBC showed coverage of the last one off world championship final?  It might come as a surprise. Sorry if some of you are not too interested 

I don't know why, and, I would be interested to know?

I'm interestING... :rofl:

I'd like to know too....

They also showed both the 1988 & 1989 Finals and I always felt it odd that they dipped in and out broadcasting the sport. Perhaps the lose of "World of Sport" created a window of opportunity?

And most of the 1977 Final....

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, steve roberts said:

They also showed both the 1988 & 1989 Finals and I always felt it odd that they dipped in and out broadcasting the sport. Perhaps the lose of "World of Sport" created a window of opportunity?

If it was the BBC it would have been Grandstand. World of Sport was ITV but I bet we cannot go back & find it in the depths of the archives!

Not only is this poster not telling their gender, his/her isn't telling their story as its two days now and so far not a titter.

55 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

If it was the BBC it would have been Grandstand. World of Sport was ITV but I bet we cannot go back & find it in the depths of the archives!

I recall that the 1975 British Final was shown on Sportsnight on BBC1.

• Like 1

Highlights of The 1989 World Final from Munich were shown on TV , (on BBC 1 I think ) the next again Saturday ,I can remember watching them 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Highlights of The 1989 World Final from Munich were shown on TV , (on BBC 1 I think ) the next again Saturday ,I can remember watching them 

Yes I have a DVD covering the event.

Was the period of no Speedway on the TV and the pig-headiness of some of the promotors during that period the cause of today's problems?  Not only during this time did Speedway fall from the public's conscience but now when you go to many meetings and look around it is now a largely elderly audience who most probably remember the halcyon days of the sport. Sadly lacking are the age group between 25-35 year olds who would have been the age most affected by Speedways lack of coverage both on TV and mainstream media press (pre-internet).  Sadly though and perhaps more of the problem it is that age group who are now have offspring of the age that Speedway so desperately needs to attract.

Edited by a4poster
  • Like 1

Crowds were better when it wasn't on tv as you had to attend in order to spectate the sport

Tv and OOFC have killed UK speedway- with a little help from Poland!

• Haha 1