British Speedway Forum
macinter

Speedway on the BBC

22 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Crowds were better when it wasn't on tv as you had to attend in order to spectate the sport

Tv and OOFC have killed UK speedway- with a little help from Poland!

You don't believe that Mr single decker bus.

We're close to resolving the local attendance problem by offering a discount. The greater exposure TV offers has to be to our advantage.

But hey ho, let's run off into a dark corner and compliment each other?

• Confused 1

I was in conversation only yesterday with an acquaintance who for many years was a member at Edgbaston and followed Warwickshire CCC home and away, particularly for the limited overs and T20 games

When I asked if he still attended, he remarked that he didn't any longer, he was able to get his cricket fix on tv, he didn't have the hassle of an hour's drive each way for home games, or of sitting around for long periods because of no play due to rain or bad light - and of course the tv coverage showed multi replays, close ups, interviews etc which improved the enjoyment of matches

So his money for membership, ticket, catering, etc for him and his wife was saved and put towards the cost of Sky / BT 

This all sounds so similar to those ex-speedway followers who now have a vast fix of the sport from their armchair instead of the terraces and stands, but it seems even worse in "our" sport as the product shown, particularly from the UK league matches, and quite often the Swedish league too, is of a quality in terms of the racing, the trackside facilities and the progress of meetings as to be very unlikely to attract new followers to attend and pay their entrance monies

A small reduction in admission charges on a televised race night will not be a cure - doing away with live league matches, and perhaps replacing the air time with a weekly highlights package from around the country, properly promoted and marketed, might help, as might racing on the nights on which clubs really want to operate, and in one bigger league (although that's a different argument documented throughout the BSF)

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, steve roberts said:

They also showed both the 1988 & 1989 Finals and I always felt it odd that they dipped in and out broadcasting the sport. Perhaps the lose of "World of Sport" created a window of opportunity?

They showed 1983 too (as did ITV). I remember it being very "bitty", showing it in 3 or 4 separate sections throughout the afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

I was in conversation only yesterday with an acquaintance who for many years was a member at Edgbaston and followed Warwickshire CCC home and away, particularly for the limited overs and T20 games

When I asked if he still attended, he remarked that he didn't any longer, he was able to get his cricket fix on tv, he didn't have the hassle of an hour's drive each way for home games, or of sitting around for long periods because of no play due to rain or bad light - and of course the tv coverage showed multi replays, close ups, interviews etc which improved the enjoyment of matches

So his money for membership, ticket, catering, etc for him and his wife was saved and put towards the cost of Sky / BT

This all sounds so similar to those ex-speedway followers who now have a vast fix of the sport from their armchair instead of the terraces and stands, but it seems even worse in "our" sport as the product shown, particularly from the UK league matches, and quite often the Swedish league too, is of a quality in terms of the racing, the trackside facilities and the progress of meetings as to be very unlikely to attract new followers to attend and pay their entrance monies

A small reduction in admission charges on a televised race night will not be a cure - doing away with live league matches, and perhaps replacing the air time with a weekly highlights package from around the country, properly promoted and marketed, might help, as might racing on the nights on which clubs really want to operate, and in one bigger league (although that's a different argument documented throughout the BSF)

A friend of mine was one of those although only living within a mile of Cowley Stadium.

18 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Highlights of The 1989 World Final from Munich were shown on TV , (on BBC 1 I think ) the next again Saturday ,I can remember watching them 

That can't have taken very long as I don't recall there being any.

17 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

That can't have taken very long as I don't recall there being any.

I remember taping the BBC version...and I still have it.

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

1989 was definitely shown on TV. Did E. Gundersen get an engine failure on the way to the tapes and get excluded?

Just now, James Carter said:

1989 was definitely shown on TV. Did E. Gundersen get an engine failure on the way to the tapes and get excluded?

I think he suffered an engine failure when leading 'Wiggy' but I may be wrong?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I think he suffered an engine failure when leading 'Wiggy' but I may be wrong?

have a memory of EG just pushing his bike by the starting grid totally p***** off !

Simon Wigg. What a super rider. Speedway, Grasstrack, Longtrack. Great memories from his 2 seasons at Bradford  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Oh,  I don't doubt that, my point was that there really weren't any highlights in that appalling final.

1 hour ago, Sotonian said:

Oh,  I don't doubt that, my point was that there really weren't any highlights in that appalling final.

Except Roman Matousek's extraordinay ride with his front wheel over the inner kerb picking up tremendous grip...and Hans winning of course!

• Like 2

I think some of the 1988 World Final was shown as well... was there such a thing as Sunday Grandstand???  It was on there if so. 

I think some of the 1988 World Final was shown as well... was there such a thing as Sunday Grandstand???  It was on there if so. 

Yes,it was on Sunday Grandstand,I'd set the video to record it while dad and me attended it live.I wore a white ski jacket (all the rage in 1988 and rather expensive!) so I could pick myself out when we watched it back,which I did lol. Mum was not happy that the aforementioned jacket got hit by wet Danish Shale which wouldn't washout!

1 hour ago, Tigerblade said:

Definitely was, I watched World final from Vojens. Cant remember the year or the winner but I seem to remember quite a nasty fall for Jan Staechmann who I think was riding for Long Eaton at the time.