British Speedway Forum
macinter

Speedway on the BBC

1988, Erik Gundersen, the last of his 3 titles.  I don't remember the crash you mention but Stekker would have been riding for Wolverhampton then. I do remember Per Jonsson getting excluded for knocking Hans Nielsen off, though. 

23 minutes ago, screm said:

Definitely was, I watched World final from Vojens. Cant remember the year or the winner but I seem to remember quite a nasty fall for Jan Staechmann who I think was riding for Long Eaton at the time.

That was 1994,live on Eurosport.Tony Rickardsson won after a run off with Hans Nielsen and Craig Boyce.

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

That was 1994,live on Eurosport.Tony Rickardsson won after a run off with Hans Nielsen and Craig Boyce.

Wasn't on Eurosport. It was shown live on a German Sports channel was was available in the UK on the old Astra satellite.DSF rings a bell. Egon Muller was doing the commentary. It was certainly not shown live on any of the UK sports channels. I don't recall it being shown on the BBC. Maybe they would have shown a short 10 minute feature on their Wednesday night sports highlights show? The beeb did show highlights though of the British Grand Prix at Hackney the year Jason Crump won. 

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

I think some of the 1988 World Final was shown as well... was there such a thing as Sunday Grandstand???  It was on there if so. 

Think you are right as regards Sunday Grandstand.

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

I think some of the 1988 World Final was shown as well... was there such a thing as Sunday Grandstand???  It was on there if so. 

Think you are right as regards Sunday Grandstand.

1 hour ago, kelvinlapworth said:

Wasn't on Eurosport. It was shown live on a German Sports channel was was available in the UK on the old Astra satellite.DSF rings a bell. Egon Muller was doing the commentary. 

Yes,DSF ,Eurosport was 1992 my mistake lol

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, Andrew said:

Yep, that was also on Sunday Grandstand, about a week after it had happened I believe. Made quite a decent half hour package.

• Like 1