British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ellioth4

Leicester Vs Redcar 29/06/19

3 minutes ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

Why do people in speedway continue to use the term 'county ambulance'? There hasn't been a county ambulance service round here for 20 years. Just call it an NHS ambulance. And yes, the clubs CAN pay for extra cover so that injuries don't cause delays, but obviously they don't want to or can't afford to. 

An apology from the club to fans for the huge delay wouldn't have gone amiss. A lot of people left before the racing resumed, having only seen two races completed. Sending tractors round to make it look like something was happening didn't fool anyone, especially the bloke towing the bowser for lap after lap without turning it on.

Yes, that's the other thing, a complete lack of thought about how to fill the time, you would have thought the mic man would have been interviewing EVERY rider there to sill the space but no, long periods of nothing with a tractor going round the track

12 hours ago, Gemini said:

Thanks Josh  Bates for prematurely bringing to an end my 71st year of supporting Speedway ~ Leicester ~ Coventry ~ then Leicester again. I haven't ridden a motorbike for a good number of years but even I knew there was no way you were going to get round the bend with that reckless move and taking down another rider too. Time I reckon to re think your career as you are a liability on a Speedway bike. I left after an hour of waiting for paramedics/county ambulance and a good number of others did as well. I very much doubt if some of them will be back, including me. Sad but that's it now. 

9 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

That is so harsh . Fact of the matter is Josh went to go round the outside in a gap that was there & picked up unexpected drive & hit Broc Nicol who was locking up on the outside. I think you are bang out of order in your comment this was purely a racing incident

I like Josh. He overrides and he knows it. But he gives 100%, 100% of the time and he is exciting to watch.

But that move wasn't a racing accident. He arrived at the corner going far too fast and would have ended up in a big heap under the air fence regardless. Unfortunately for all concerned, Broc got tangled up in the ongoing accident and both riders now face an enforced break.

If the track played a part, and I emphasis if, then Josh should have sized up his move having tried a couple of lines first. This was his first lap of his first race and only heat 3 of the meeting. He is growing in experience and he has to use his growing knowledge to make more measured moves. Throwing himself full blooded into move like that having not even ridden that turn was ill advised.

• Like 4

Firstly it is pleasing to hear that both Josh and Broc are not seriously injured as there was a lot of concern for Broc as he was very poorly last night and unconscious for a long time along with  showing symptoms of serious head injury hence why there was such a lengthy delay as constant monitoring of his heart, BP and to make sure he was not deteriorating was required .

At Leicester the paramedics are very experienced and are Speedway fans so often they are happy to diagnose an injury then leave them in the care of one of their team until an NHS ambulance is there so racing can continue but last night was a different situation where Broc simply could not be left until NHS arrived even then it took a while for them to move him to make sure he was stable.

onto the meeting I thought there was some very good close racing and Mountain impressed again hopefully he has his confidence back now. The track was good smooth and fast as the riders like 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iainb said:

It doesn't matter how many leagues next year, if tracks are still going to run with inadequate medical cover, nights like last night will continue to happen and fans will steadily stream away from the sport, the only saving grace about last night was that it was quite a pleasant evening.

And for what it's worth I thought Bates move on Nicol was a kamikazee move

At Peterborough the Supporters Club looked into providing a second paramedic for Peterborough meetings but the cost is quite high (several hundred pounds per meeting) with the extra of additional insurance as well.

it wasn’t deemed cost effective which I would presume is what other clubs have found as well.

You might be surprised just how much medical cover costs per meeting.

12 hours ago, Gemini said:

Thanks Josh  Bates for prematurely bringing to an end my 71st year of supporting Speedway ~ Leicester ~ Coventry ~ then Leicester again. I haven't ridden a motorbike for a good number of years but even I knew there was no way you were going to get round the bend with that reckless move and taking down another rider too. Time I reckon to re think your career as you are a liability on a Speedway bike. I left after an hour of waiting for paramedics/county ambulance and a good number of others did as well. I very much doubt if some of them will be back, including me. Sad but that's it now. 

My friend, please draw back from making rash decisions. This was a bad end to a bad week wasn't it? Regardless of the initial cause of the stoppage, this was an unfortunate and extreme example of this kind of delay. I know such delays are more common than they were back in the day due to the rules covering paramedic cover etc. But they are still unusual. I also became very impatient but as it happens the speedway that eventually followed was pretty good and hard fought. The commentator described the last race as the best of the year. I'm not sure I'd go that far but it was up there. The point is that I went home with the adrenaline flowing. Sorry to Redcar and their followers, you did deserve that point (but there was no conspiracy, please).

Janet. Should you end your spectating career, I am but one of a very large number of people who would miss you. Think of all those forum friends you've met, the people who know you because they're Lucy's friends and just those who know you because you're approachable and a friendly face. The world of speedway would be worse off should you not return.

David x

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

At Peterborough the Supporters Club looked into providing a second paramedic for Peterborough meetings but the cost is quite high (several hundred pounds per meeting) with the extra of additional insurance as well.

it wasn’t deemed cost effective which I would presume is what other clubs have found as well.

You might be surprised just how much medical cover costs per meeting.

How does the cost of an additional paramedic compare to the loss from 50-100 fewer spectators paying to watch?

• Like 2

Best wishes to both riders, hope they're both fit soon.

Congratulations to the Bears for keeping Leicester 'honest', under the circumstances I didn't expect that close a meeting. Shame the curfew hit when it did but that's life. We have a curfew at Redcar too, but apparently this can be extended by 30 minutes in exceptional circumstances. Sorry for the fans who missed out on Charles' last 2 rides (Heat 13 looked a cracker). Would have been interesting to have seen what would have happened in Heat 14 as IRR was needed for Broc and Nathan Greaves had already had 7 rides. Jordan's average means the one rider above him would be Tom who we were already riding Rider Replacement for, so who would be eligible for the ride? Could we have skipped a rider and gone to Ulrich or would we have been forced to use only one rider? I suspect I know the answer to that.

The willingness of the Redcar team and promotion to continue the meeting and get as many races in before the curfew was commendable (a couple of 2 minute exclusions or tape breaking anyone?) and unfortunately cost us a point. I hope it restores their integrity after the ridiculous comments made about them after the Glasgow match in 2017.

Edited by Boothers

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

It will be very interesting to see how the trial of the new standard engines go on the Isle of Wight. Anything to bring down the costs of equipment must be a good thing.

Hello. I do believe they tried this before. It was a promising idea but bikes had quite a few teething problems which were I believe never sorted out. Then the idea seemed just to be abandoned?

30 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

Hello. I do believe they tried this before. It was a promising idea but bikes had quite a few teething problems which were I believe never sorted out. Then the idea seemed just to be abandoned?

Well they are running a full scale meeting on the island with the likes of Steve Worrall riding, so something is in the air!

11 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

That is so harsh . Fact of the matter is Josh went to go round the outside in a gap that was there & picked up unexpected drive & hit Broc Nicol who was locking up on the outside. I think you are bang out of order in your comment this was purely a racing incident

Sorry but that is not true. Read False dawn's post for an accurate description. Josh started his 'move' on the back straight and entered the third bend going way too fast. It was obvious  there was no way he would get round and he was already out of control. I doubt if Nicol locked up either when he got collected by Josh. Just downright irresponsible riding so harsh or not it's the truth. 

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Boothers said:

I hope it restores their integrity after the ridiculous comments made about them after the Glasgow match in 2017.

Which they thoroughly deserved. Different promotion now.

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

Sorry but that is not true. Read False dawn's post for an accurate description. Josh started his 'move' on the back straight and entered the third bend going way too fast. It was obvious  there was no way he would get round and he was already out of control. I doubt if Nicol locked up either when he got collected by Josh. Just downright irresponsible riding so harsh or not it's the truth. 

The likes of Bates, Garrity and Barker are often out of control during most of their rides. If they cop it so what, but it is the honest riders in the same races I have sympathy for as they usually pay for the others recklessness.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

Spot on. Don’t think I’ve ever seen any rider go into the third bend carrying  that much speed. Not really sure what he was trying to achieve so early on in the race either. 

• Like 2

Guest Loose Diamond
2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Well they are running a full scale meeting on the island with the likes of Steve Worrall riding, so something is in the air!

Yes.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

The likes of Bates, Garrity and Barker are often out of control during most of their rides. If they cop it so what, but it is the honest riders in the same races I have sympathy for as they usually pay for the others recklessness.

' most of their rides '...I think not. Whilst they have occasionally over stepped the mark in overtaking manoeuvres with rash decisions they would certainly not have lasted this long in the sport if they were constantly out of control, particularly Barker.

whilst you might not like them give them a little bit of credit for their ( sometimes flawed ) talents.