British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ellioth4

Leicester Vs Redcar 29/06/19

4 hours ago, Boothers said:

Best wishes to both riders, hope they're both fit soon.

Congratulations to the Bears for keeping Leicester 'honest', under the circumstances I didn't expect that close a meeting. Shame the curfew hit when it did but that's life. We have a curfew at Redcar too, but apparently this can be extended by 30 minutes in exceptional circumstances. Sorry for the fans who missed out on Charles' last 2 rides (Heat 13 looked a cracker). Would have been interesting to have seen what would have happened in Heat 14 as IRR was needed for Broc and Nathan Greaves had already had 7 rides. Jordan's average means the one rider above him would be Tom who we were already riding Rider Replacement for, so who would be eligible for the ride? Could we have skipped a rider and gone to Ulrich or would we have been forced to use only one rider? I suspect I know the answer to that.

The willingness of the Redcar team and promotion to continue the meeting and get as many races in before the curfew was commendable (a couple of 2 minute exclusions or tape breaking anyone?) and unfortunately cost us a point. I hope it restores their integrity after the ridiculous comments made about them after the Glasgow match in 2017.

When using IRR you can only use riders below the injured rider in the averages, not 1 above as in normal R/R , so if it had gone to heat 14 Redcar would have had to field just 1 rider, because like you say Greaves had taken 7 rides. But I suspect the Redcar manager realised that the curfew would kick in before heat 14 that's why they used them up. It was announced that the curfew was strictly 10.30 & it was then 10.29, so there was no time for the 2 minutes to go on. Redcar did deserve a point for their efforts, Charles Wright was fast & even when he didn't make the gate he passed Schlein & Douglas with no problem. Good effort by the 2 reserves too, especially Greaves, best meeting i've seen him have at Leicester. I think if Nicol hadn't been injured they would have ran Leicester even closer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

How does the cost of an additional paramedic compare to the loss from 50-100 fewer spectators paying to watch?

If you read the post I quoted you will see IainB mentions inadequate medical cover, I was referring to that.

To be fair it isn’t difficult to follow, well to be fair I thought it wasn’t.

6 hours ago, iainb said:

But the delay was because the paramedic was with the rider(s) and not the wait for the ambulance, all tracks should have adequate cover, not only to attend injured people but to also ensure there are no delays like last night... tracks are to blame

If the tracks are going to try to hold onto some of the existing fanbase then they must avoid these kinds of situations. Tracks are to blame. The 'show" they contracted to supply was drastically changed and although there is no legal requirement to do better, the moral of the handling of these situations is clear. many supporters don't bother to go back or pick their meetings more and more carefully. Support can fall away very easily. All too often it feels like they are taking supporters for granted. In my opinion, they are!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

If you read the post I quoted you will see IainB mentions inadequate medical cover, I was referring to that.

To be fair it isn’t difficult to follow, well to be fair I thought it wasn’t.

To quote exactly what you said: "At Peterborough the Supporters Club looked into providing a second paramedic for Peterborough meetings but the cost is quite high (several hundred pounds per meeting) with the extra of additional insurance as well", so I asked how that cost compares to losses from fewer people attending (because they are put off by long waits for riders to be looked at by the paramedic). So how much would a second paramedic cost? I thought it was a simple enough question.

• Like 1

How long is a pice of string?

Different companies charge different prices.

Our local ' Medics ' charge £300 for a ' Paramedic ' per 2 hour stint,  that's one individual, no extra ' ambulance'.

24 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

How long is a pice of string?

Different companies charge different prices.

Our local ' Medics ' charge £300 for a ' Paramedic ' per 2 hour stint,  that's one individual, no extra ' ambulance'.

Thanks. Ballpark figure is good enough. Lions have a medical room, so don't need 2 ambulances, just two paramedics, so one can stay with a rider while the other is out on the infield So if a few dozen people are put off by long breaks it might be cost effective to pay for an additional paramedic if a better experience gets more people through the gate. Shelling out for something to block the sun going into turn 3 would be even cheaper.

28 minutes ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

Thanks. Ballpark figure is good enough. Lions have a medical room, so don't need 2 ambulances, just two paramedics, so one can stay with a rider while the other is out on the infield So if a few dozen people are put off by long breaks it might be cost effective to pay for an additional paramedic if a better experience gets more people through the gate. Shelling out for something to block the sun going into turn 3 would be even cheaper.

Last nights incident had nothing to do with the sun: in fact had the meeting run to schedule, there still would not have been a sun break due to clouds blocking the sun.

Just now, Skodaman said:

Last nights incident had nothing to do with the sun: in fact had the meeting run to schedule, there still would not have been a sun break due to clouds blocking the sun.

I didn't say it did. It's common to have a half hour break for the low sun at Leicester, though, which also puts people off going.

1 hour ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

A few dozen people is quite a large percentage of the crowd these days

1 hour ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

I didn't say it did. It's common to have a half hour break for the low sun at Leicester, though, which also puts people off going.

It has been an hour break in the past

2 hours ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

To quote exactly what you said: "At Peterborough the Supporters Club looked into providing a second paramedic for Peterborough meetings but the cost is quite high (several hundred pounds per meeting) with the extra of additional insurance as well", so I asked how that cost compares to losses from fewer people attending (because they are put off by long waits for riders to be looked at by the paramedic). So how much would a second paramedic cost? I thought it was a simple enough question.

Didn’t see your second question, but I did quote several hundred pounds above.

Basically it comes down to how often supporters are inconvenienced because of only one paramedic and waiting for an ambulance, generally not too often although it happens everywhere occasionally.

The cost of a second paramedic or doctor is considered too high for a general meeting although my understanding is we had two for the Fours Finals, personally having to wait (occasionally) for a rider to be treated or for a county ambulance to arrive is part and parcel of the sport and not something that will stop me attending.

• Like 1

Josh was at Sheffield today.  he looked quite jovial as he walked round the pits telling various riders of his exploits.  His right arm around the elbow looked black and blue and swollen and some bad grazes/burns.  

• Sad 1

I'm sure Broc Nicol is not feeling quite so jovial as he's in a hospital bed with a broken collar bone, cuts and concussion due to that idiot. 

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Gemini said:

I'm sure Broc Nicol is not feeling quite so jovial as he's in a hospital bed with a broken collar bone, cuts and concussion due to that idiot. 

He was sitting in Brocs pit space

• Haha 1

Would be interested to know how often this season Bates has had to withdraw from matches following accidents in early heats. Once is nothing unusual, but three times?? Is something not quite right....is he too hyped up "early doors" but then calms down after his first ride? If this is turning into a regular pattern it's going to p*** his team mates and manager off, and cost him money as well.  

35 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Would be interested to know how often this season Bates has had to withdraw from matches following accidents in early heats. Once is nothing unusual, but three times?? Is something not quite right....is he too hyped up "early doors" but then calms down after his first ride? If this is turning into a regular pattern it's going to p*** his team mates and manager off, and cost him money as well.  

Most decent riders use their 1st race to weight up track conditions.Then there’s Bates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1