British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

Curfews

Following recent meetings being cut short due to curfews, and subsequent discussion/argument as to their validity, is it now time for a rule to be introduced that, for every meeting, a cut-off time is printed in the programme within the details of officials and riders for the meeting - then, should a curfew be necessary, there can be no misunderstanding and the spectators are well aware of the situation

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Following recent meetings being cut short due to curfews, and subsequent discussion/argument as to their validity, is it now time for a rule to be introduced that, for every meeting, a cut-off time is printed in the programme within the details of officials and riders for the meeting - then, should a curfew be necessary, there can be no misunderstanding and the spectators are well aware of the situation

Thats far to sensible a ruling for the BSPA to adopt.

• Like 1

That ruling would not relieve the problem of curtailed meetings, merely letting the public know the restriction. 

How about making clubs with curfews have a start time at least 3 hours earlier than the cut-off giving more chance, in the event of a delay, of providing the paying public with the 15 heats they've expected to see when paying their entry monies?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tapeworm said:

That ruling would not relieve the problem of curtailed meetings, merely letting the public know the restriction. 

How about making clubs with curfews have a start time at least 3 hours earlier than the cut-off giving more chance, in the event of a delay, of providing the paying public with the 15 heats they've expected to see when paying their entry monies?

That would mean Kent starting at 5.30 or earlier!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Think there should be a notice on the gate, just like there used to be about not getting your money back if the meeting was called off after set number of heats

• Thanks 2

Absolutely that should be the case and is probably a legal requirement ( can anyone tell us )? Promoters seemingly love to erode or fudge around any consumer rights that supporters may have and go blindly on with their Arthur Daley way of "organising" things. They really are stuck in the 1950s.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Absolutely that should be the case and is probably a legal requirement ( can anyone tell us )? Promoters seemingly love to erode or fudge around any consumer rights that supporters may have and go blindly on with their Arthur Daley way of "organising" things. They really are stuck in the 1950s.

I don't really recall many advance notices regarding the six heat stipulation prior to entering stadiums after paying my entrance fee. It was only obvious when buying a programme once inside that very often one was aware of the ruling. To those regular fans it was obviously well known but to newcomers on potentially their first visit not really acceptable.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I don't really recall many advance notices regarding the six heat stipulation prior to entering stadiums after paying my entrance fee. It was only obvious when buying a programme once inside that very often one was aware of the ruling. To those regular fans it was obviously well known but to newcomers on potentially their first visit not really acceptable.

I am sure Wimbledon had notices about abandoned meetings for both Speedway and Dog Racing which were on the outside of the turnstiles. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I am sure Wimbledon had notices about abandoned meetings for both Speedway and Dog Racing which were on the outside of the turnstiles. 

I don't recall see any at Cowley but I may have missed them...but on my travels around the country I don't remember seeing many strategically placed.

I remember them at Brandon back in CO's days, but whether they remained in more recent times I'm not sure

My original point remains the same, that any cut-off time should be printed on the race card part of the programme so that there can be no dispute if it comes into play

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 10:13 AM, Tapeworm said:

I'm sure some tracks have restrictions on not only when they must finish, but when they can start too. Somerset always had a policy in the past of no bikes running before 7pm and then no bikes running after 10pm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Midland Red said:

I remember them at Brandon back in CO's days, but whether they remained in more recent times I'm not sure

My original point remains the same, that any cut-off time should be printed on the race card part of the programme so that there can be no dispute if it comes into play

In my older programmes, it was always....almost without exception, printed in the programme about abandonment prior to heat 6....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Najjer said:

I'm sure some tracks have restrictions on not only when they must finish, but when they can start too. Somerset always had a policy in the past of no bikes running before 7pm and then no bikes running after 10pm.

That's correct. Mildenhall certainly have one and I believe Isle of Wight do too. 

I recall the old Belle Vue at Hyde Road had a self imposed curfew to end the racing at a certain time so as people would then spend their money at the adjacent Fun Fair!

6 hours ago, andout said:

In my older programmes, it was always....almost without exception, printed in the programme about abandonment prior to heat 6....

I was referring to the time of any curfew (cut-off time), not any abandonment prior to completion of heat 6