British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

Come off it Bomber. In this week's SS he shows how delusional he is. Chris Harris is one of the most exciting speedway racers GB have produced this century and riding within UK speedway he can be seen at his best - still at his best. But to claim that he will be like Hancock and develop into a world-beater in his 40's is ludicrous. Bomber,  Greg H is a consistently good gater - 2 or 4 from five at his best, whereas you gate 1 in 5 and that means at the top-level - world-class, you will never be better than you are. If you were to reach the dizzy heights of the GP it would have been in the years following your magnificent British GP victory in 2007. Unless you know that in the twilight of your career ( in world class terms ) you can find some Greg Hancock like-gating gloves and reactions from the start, be happy that so many UK fans appreciate you as a top league racer. I will donate £25 to the SRBF for every one of your heat wins in the SON Finals. If we get to the finals.

Edited by waytogo28
correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Should have been Bewley as screm says. Bomber is the best of the rest on foreign shores, riders like Wright, Lawson, King, Worrall etc wont get any better so pointless taking them. 

I agree with this. Whilst Bomber will score the most (even if its potentially not a lot) and is the best choice in terms of this weekends result it sums up the short term blinkered approach of British Speedway

Even if somehow it meant we snuck a medal (which is highly unlikely) taking Bewley or any youngster IMO couldve provided a great learning opportunity

• Like 1

Strange discussion here.

Cook + Lambo will most probably start the meeting with Harris only as a cover or substitute if any of 2 underperforming.

53 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Come off it Bomber. In this week's SS he shows how delusional he is. Chris Harris is one of the most exciting speedway racers GB have produced this century and riding within UK speedway he can be seen at his best - still at his best. But to claim that he will be like Hancock and develop into a world-beater in his 40's is ludicrous. Bomber,  Greg H is a consistently good gater - 2 or 4 from five at his best, whereas you gate 1 in 5 and that means at the top-level - world-class, you will never be better than you are. If you were to reach the dizzy heights of the GP it would have been in the years following your magnificent British GP victory in 2007. Unless you know that in the twilight of your career ( in world class terms ) you can find some Greg Hancock like-gating gloves and reactions from the start, be happy that so many UK fans appreciate you as a top league racer. I will donate £25 to the SRBF for every one of your heat wins in the SON Finals. If we get to the finals.

This is the finals - over 2 days !!

5 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

This is the finals - over 2 days !!

Was thinking same.

All the negativity towards Bomber is a bit unfair, he's the next best we have and should be included, would love it if he won a couple of races, if only to boost the SRBF and make a few eat their words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I agree with this. Whilst Bomber will score the most (even if its potentially not a lot) and is the best choice in terms of this weekends result it sums up the short term blinkered approach of British Speedway

Even if somehow it meant we snuck a medal (which is highly unlikely) taking Bewley or any youngster IMO couldve provided a great learning opportunity

Don#t forget this is a senior "World Final"... We've already got Robert Lambert in the U21 slot and the other 2 slots should be filled by the best 2 riders you have available, no matter the age. The youngsters are getting their opportunity at U21 level. The format of the SoN has been changed to be able to blood youngsters and Bewley will probably get his chance next year. The problem really lies with the lack of international test matches these days, which in my opinion is where the young kids should be fed into the international arena.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Bomber has qualified for the gp challenge on merit, so surely he is the man to take. That's my opinion.

The GP challenge has no relationship to the point I was making.

We are never winning it without Tai, so this has now become about opportunities and we have blown it.

Sounds to me like we have took a step back under this regime and it’s actually the type of thing that would have happened a few years back, when Woffinden wanted no part of team GB.

I would love to hear Tai’s opinion on it, I’ll bet my mortgage he is not a happy man.

And if it’s Rossiter that has made this call, well I fear trouble on the horizon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Don#t forget this is a senior "World Final"... We've already got Robert Lambert in the U21 slot and the other 2 slots should be filled by the best 2 riders you have available, no matter the age. The youngsters are getting their opportunity at U21 level. The format of the SoN has been changed to be able to blood youngsters and Bewley will probably get his chance next year. The problem really lies with the lack of international test matches these days, which in my opinion is where the young kids should be fed into the international arena.

Sorry but I can’t agree. World final or not is totally irrelevant we are not winning it and we should be using it as a test match. If you are suggesting there is a lack of them then you must take every chance you get.

We are not doing that here.

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Not sure I agree. It is a two day meeting and anything can happen.And then an out of form Bewley thrown in against the best in the world might only hamper his comeback to his best even more. Take him along as part of the team to gain experience by all means

An in form bewley thrown in against the best in the world would be pants.

Its not the point. Experience in a pit bay is useless, he needs to be out on the race track. If he gets beat up, so what. He will take that away and learn, and if he’s being managed correctly it won’t be allowed to get in his head. Everything about it is positive.

Edited by acef
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, acef said:

An in form bewley thrown in against the best in the world would be pants.

Its not the point. Experience in a pit bay is useless, he needs to be out on the race track. If he gets beat up, so what. He will take that away and learn, and if he’s being managed correctly it won’t be allowed to get in his head. Everything about it is positive.

In which case there is no point in taking him anyway as all he would be doing is sitting in the Pits watching Lambert & Cook ride.

Edited by Welwyn

1 hour ago, acef said:

Sorry but I can’t agree. World final or not is totally irrelevant we are not winning it and we should be using it as a test match. If you are suggesting there is a lack of them then you must take every chance you get.

We are not doing that here.

It's a world final, you put your best team out regardless of age, every other country has, even Denmark and Sweden, it's over 2 days, it only takes an injury for any team and they're up against it. The answer for lack of test matches is to arrange some and not chance youngsters who are nowhere near international class, yet, and possibly set them back a few years. Who knows what the likes of Bewley or the rest are going to be, they may just turn out to be club journeymen like so many before...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Welwyn said:

In which case there is no point in taking him anyway as all he would be doing is sitting in the Pits watching Lambert & Cook ride.

I don’t think you are getting my point.

Cook is another story. He will also never make it.

Bewley and Lambert should be the main 2.

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's a world final, you put your best team out regardless of age, every other country has, even Denmark and Sweden, it's over 2 days, it only takes an injury for any team and they're up against it. The answer for lack of test matches is to arrange some and not chance youngsters who are nowhere near international class, yet, and possibly set them back a few years. Who knows what the likes of Bewley or the rest are going to be, they may just turn out to be club journeymen like so many before...

The others are club journey men because of moments exactly like this one. 

Lets not make the same mistake twice.

Bewley and Lambert should be the main 2, with Kemp or the like at reserve. I’m not remotely interested in winning it. Im not remotely interested in what other nations do. I’m not remotely interested if it’s a world final.

Dan Bewley and Robert Lambert are our future. With the greatest of respect, they will not learn much off Cook and Harris, 2 journeymen.

10 minutes ago, acef said:

The others are club journey men because of moments exactly like this one. 

Lets not make the same mistake twice.

Bewley and Lambert should be the main 2, with Kemp or the like at reserve. I’m not remotely interested in winning it. Im not remotely interested in what other nations do. I’m not remotely interested if it’s a world final.

Dan Bewley and Robert Lambert are our future. With the greatest of respect, they will not learn much off Cook and Harris, 2 journeymen.

I don't think it's about learning from Cook and Harris, it's about learning from everybody, all riders... If you're not going to treat it as something worth winning, a world final, it becomes not worth winning, not the example to set. Kemp is nowhere near the quality of justifying a place in a world final, there's many more ahead of him. We're lucky this year in the fact that we can use Lambert as "reserve" next year Cookie is not going to get a look in and will be standby reserve should Lambert or Woffinden not be available, that will be the time to blood young Bewley, when hopefully he'll be back to full form/confidence after his injuries

• Like 1