British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

I think Dan Bewley would be better missing the SON at this point in his career. Not sure racing against the world's best on an unfamiliar track out in Russia would be that great for him. If it was in the UK at the NSS I could see the merit. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't think it's about learning from Cook and Harris, it's about learning from everybody, all riders... If you're not going to treat it as something worth winning, a world final, it becomes not worth winning, not the example to set. Kemp is nowhere near the quality of justifying a place in a world final, there's many more ahead of him. We're lucky this year in the fact that we can use Lambert as "reserve" next year Cookie is not going to get a look in and will be standby reserve should Lambert or Woffinden not be available, that will be the time to blood young Bewley, when hopefully he'll be back to full form/confidence after his injuries

It’s not that it isn’t worth winning. That mentality is counter productive. Take Tai out, and we will never win it with our current mentality and that is what needs to change. Take a few years coming last and scoring nothing, as a nation we have to get this winning thing out of our heads whilst we take a step back to take 2 steps forward. It’s about the long term.

Kemp has done nothing to justify a place, but it’s only that way if you are looking to win it. If it is being treated as a platform for our development then he should absolutely be there.

As for cook you are right, he will not get a look in next year. My argument is that he shouldn’t have a look in this year either! This is whole point I’m trying to make.

19 minutes ago, acef said:

It’s not that it isn’t worth winning. That mentality is counter productive. Take Tai out, and we will never win it with our current mentality and that is what needs to change. Take a few years coming last and scoring nothing, as a nation we have to get this winning thing out of our heads whilst we take a step back to take 2 steps forward. It’s about the long term.

Kemp has done nothing to justify a place, but it’s only that way if you are looking to win it. If it is being treated as a platform for our development then he should absolutely be there.

As for cook you are right, he will not get a look in next year. My argument is that he shouldn’t have a look in this year either! This is whole point I’m trying to make.

I get your point... I just don't agree with it lol. Their time will come if they prove to be good enough, that's what all of the U21 competitions are for, the senior events are for riders who are the best in their country

• Like 3

It's a world final, you pick your best team. Riders learn about the international stage competing in u21 events and GP qualifiers. The best 3 are there in Russia.

• Like 3

I don`t think Bewley should be in it. hes overated by the Belle Vue tribe.  I`ve seen him a few times now live and on TV and he seems to me to be a single line rider

making big bursts round the outside.  I cant remember seeing him doing any cut backs but I may be wrong.   I would have gone with Wright, hes fearless

Edited by Dornier fixer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, James Carter said:

I think Dan Bewley would be better missing the SON at this point in his career. Not sure racing against the world's best on an unfamiliar track out in Russia would be that great for him. If it was in the UK at the NSS I could see the merit. 

This is where a positive reaction and solid management is required. Nobody would expect dan to score a hatful of points and that would need to be made clear. It’s all about learning, having the experiences in foreign countries against the worlds best riders. In the short term we will not expect to see results but in the medium to long term we will.

Team GB is full of journeymen riders, some actually pretty young like the Worrall brothers, who will never make it because they haven’t had the right background to be competitive at the highest level.

The Poles get their kids out against top riders very early and that is why they are streets ahead. If you want to beat the best you have to be a part of that scene otherwise you just become a solid British rider in you’re own nation and that is what has happened in the last decade. 

If we want international success in the long term we have to change our approach, stop pretending that we can major tournaments which in turn makes us take the riders without the background who we foolishly think can deliver something:

Time to change the mentality and start working from the ground up with our youngsters and start giving the correct experience to be competitive at the top level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

I don`t think Bewley should be in it. hes overated by the Belle Vue tribe.  I`ve seen him a few times now live and on TV and he seems to me to be a single line rider

making big bursts round the outside.  I cant remember seeing him doing any cut backs but I may be wrong.   I would have gone with Wright, hes fearless

I’m sorry but that is rubbish. Certainly this season where he is coming back from serious injuries.

I will bet my last penny that in the next 2/3 years Dan will be established on the continent alongside Lambert. He’s already got a place in Sweden and is making the right noises.

He is a rider full of potential and at his age, given the rapid progress he has made, he is way way above those in his age group.

As for Wright, he is just a bang average rider who would be totally out of his depth on the continent. Wouldn’t last a week.

Edited by acef

I can remember very similar arguments ten years ago when Ron Lyon picked a young team including Bridger, Kennett and a very raw Tai as a long term plan. Difference was we were a bit more competitive then with Nicholls, Harris and Rico a match for anybody on their day.

This year however we won’t win it with no Tai, it would be the greatest upset in history if we did. So why not use Bewley and give him some priceless experience. Not convinced his scoring would be much different to Bombers anyway. 

4 hours ago, acef said:

An in form bewley thrown in against the best in the world would be pants.

Its not the point. Experience in a pit bay is useless, he needs to be out on the race track. If he gets beat up, so what. He will take that away and learn, and if he’s being managed correctly it won’t be allowed to get in his head. Everything about it is positive.

Apart from speedway, like boxing is a confidence thing to a large extent and that is why they don’t just throw a youngster in to get beat up by a champ. They take it step at a time. This time isn’t right for someone trying to get back to where he was last season

• Like 1

Hope that wasn’t live shots from the stadium. No one there! Russians should come out in force, surely?

What time is tapes up??

A good mid tabel performance from Team GB will be realistic.

Good to hear Tai defend his tactics in the 2018 Final.   How do you slow a race down when Emil is behind you. 

Edited by Mark

Try to avoid last has to be the first aim. Anything else a bonus.