British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

Even if you go along with Rossiter's reasons for Bewley not taking part, GB could have considered taking two riders who are between 21 and 26 years old, in addition to Cook and Lambert. BUT who would they have been? I'm struggling to think of anyone. To me, that's the problem. 

Edited by Big Al
Factual error

42 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Bewley would have been totally out of his depth.

That is correct.

But you are failing to see that it is completely and totally irrelevant.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Bewley would have been totally out of his depth.

Yeah, he would, but so was Harris. What is harris going to learn about this weekend that he hasnt already. NOTHING. 

What would  bewley have learnt??? EVERYTHING 

• Like 6

Thing is bewley was fit so could have gone. So dont buy Roscos reason he isnt there. Dan rode sweden on tuesday and did well. 

Harris as been a great servent to team GB. And that is probably the last we see of him in a team GB suite. Thanks for the memories chris. But your time as now come to an end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

The only problem I see with Rosco is that he and Tai don’t get on and that nothing new, it’s been the case for several seasons. Assuming they can still work together after this weekend I don’t personally see the point in changing the TM. 

Do Laurence Rogers and Tai get on?:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Cook has Tweeted to say he couldn’t hold on. 

I have no problem with Cook, but as team manager surely his job would be to tell Cook to ride the white line and make rider's go round you?? 

Clearly no conversion was had between rider & manager. Part of the managers job would be to see how other races have been won and see what the changes in track are?? 

No blame towards Cook whatsoever over this weekend. 

All the frustration if firmly at the managers door

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I have no problem with Cook, but as team manager surely his job would be to tell Cook to ride the white line and make rider's go round you?? 

Clearly no conversion was had between rider & manager. Part of the managers job would be to see how other races have been won and see what the changes in track are?? 

Cook couldn't ride inside  because he didd t have the strength to ride through the ruts. In any other situation he wouldn't have rode today 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

How do you know Rosco didn't have a conversation.       Cook said he couldn't hold the bike to go around the inner because his wrist was injured.   You cant blame the manager for that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, acef said:

That is correct.

But you are failing to see that it is completely and totally irrelevant.

Not necessarily.  Unfortunately, there can be be some serious repercussions from throwing kids in at the deep end - and it is not just something that is confined to speedway.

Sport - in particular, top-level sport - is all about confidence.  I'm not saying it always happens, but it very easy to destroy confidence by throwing someone into something they are not ready for.  Take them along to let them soak up the atmosphere by all means.  Maybe give them a ride or two against weaker teams.  However, with the way things started out yesterday, Bewley would undoubtedly been turning out in the majority of races.  Cook wasn't fit after the crash, but he soldiered on as we had nobody else.  Lambert wasn't fit to ride after the crash, but he felt he had to make the effort.  I applaud their commitment to the cause.  As I said, had Bewley been there, he would have been used, and as good and promising he is, he would have probably struggled to get any points on the board.  Getting consistently tailed off - even if it is the world's best - can really cause someone to have doubts, and that is the last thing anybody wants.

Was it a disaster for British hopes?  Yes!  Was it embarrassing? I think not.  As has been mentioned by others, out top three riders (the ONLY three who can genuinely merit a place in such a lineup) were all missing or injured.  Okay, how would the Russians have fared without Sayfutdinov, Laguta, and Chugunov?  Would Sweden have been competitive without Lindgren and Ljung?  Or Australia, just without Doyle?  It is sad that we don't have the strength in depth, but GB were felled by a totally bizarre -- and tragic - combination of incidents.  Sometimes things happen, and we just have to deal with it.

Should Harris have been there? Probably not, but again, quality (and suitable) British riders are thin on the ground right now.

As far as the actual event...  It WAS poor, on a poor track.  Is that indicative of the way speedway has deteriorated?  Not in any way, shape, or form.  There have ALWAYS been crap meetings.  On crap tracks.  There will be more.  There were complaints about Amsterdam, Munich, and plenty of others, but you know what, we moved on.  It doesn't help that the riders want slick tracks (mostly because modern speedway bikes are allergic to dirt and grip), and don't have the skills and mentality to deal with deeper tracks, but that still doesn't mean that the tracks are going to be like this weekend's. Maybe that was a one-off at Togliatti, maybe not, but you can't judge an entire sport on one weekend.  Of course, it is sad that tracks are so adversely affected not just by rain, but by sunshine and heat...

Refereeing?  One of the biggest problems in football these days is the correct (and consistent) application of the rules.  Speedway is no different, and I believe that we should have an elite group of individuals for major events.  With the ref's performance this weekend, and Ackroyd's pathetic display a couple of GP's back, that really is something that needs to be improved.  I don't have all the answers as far as starting offences, but I do know that in the case of simple restarts, the riders should just get straight back to the tapes. No two  minutes, no mechanics, nothing like that...

Steve

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Thing is bewley was fit so could have gone. So dont buy Roscos reason he isnt there. Dan rode sweden on tuesday and did well. 

Harris as been a great servent to team GB. And that is probably the last we see of him in a team GB suite. Thanks for the memories chris. But your time as now come to an end. 

I thought Rosco said it was Lemon who told him Bewley wasn`t fit !

1 minute ago, Dornier fixer said:

Not sure sorry. But bewley was fit. Spent the this weekend on his motox aswell

4 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Not sure sorry. But bewley was fit. Spent the this weekend on his motox aswell

If I heard right I wouldn`t be pleased if I was Bewley to find out my team manager had robbed me of a place in the SON.!   don`t think it was wise for Rosco to disclose this but he was probably shifting the blame.

19 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

Surely The Manager of the British Team  could've phoned  Bewley and asked him and not taken The Aussie Team managers word for it :unsure:

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

48 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Cook couldn't ride inside  because he didd t have the strength to ride through the ruts. In any other situation he wouldn't have rode today 

As Phil says Cook was unable to ride the inside properly due to his wrist injury. 

3 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Why does that idiot in the commentary box keep going on about ice speedway?

You should do what I do. Turn the sound off. You don't get a commentary if you are there! Also am I the only one who noticed that the Union Jack and the Australian flag in the BT studio had the red X on the middle missing?