British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

5 minutes ago, Buttons said:

But Harris is not a top man anymore, he also rides in the Championship in uk, he is no longer in the GP's and is not at the same standard now.

He has always be mechanically inept.He has  entered and qualified for the GP Challenge so he  still thinks he is a GP rider ,and if you read his article in SS last week he has hope of emulating Hancock:rolleyes:

Edited by Fromafar

24 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He has always be mechanically inept.He has  entered and qualified for the GP Challenge so he  still thinks he is a GP rider ,and if you read his article in SS last week he has hope of emulating Hancock:rolleyes:

Hancock? Tony Hancock was the blood donor, so Chris Harris must be the points donor...

Ouch...

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, chunky said:

Hancock? Tony Hancock was the blood donor, so Chris Harris must be the points donor...

Ouch...

A pint? That's very nearly an armful!

9 hours ago, chunky said:

I see you are confused, Midland Red?

The poster was claiming that the cricket World Cup should qualify only two group winners directly to the final, and that the Champions League should include only "champions". Therefore, I wonder what he thought of the old speedway World Championship system, where you could scrape through each of the qualifying rounds (in as low as 11th spot), and then win a World Final?

Of course, those were the "good old days" when it was possible to become World Champion without winning a race...

Steve

Steve, I've just had a look at all British Finals throughout the 1970's. The only final you would have qualified if you finished 11th was the 71 final, where you needed to finish in the top 12. The rest of them were either top 4 or top 5 except for 73 final (8th) 74 final (10th) and the 79 final (10th) As for not winning a race and still becoming world champion. Unless I'm mistaken The there have been only three world finals between 1949 and 1994 where riders have scored 12 and even then I would imagine they would have won at least one race! 

I think Chunky meant rounds like the Commonwealth and Inter-continental final where the top 11 qualified.

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Name the riders who will be competitive on World Stage in the next couple of years bar Woffy and Lambert.There is some young talent out there but they have along way to go as the U21 Team showed.

i think you're being a little unfair on Bewley. Before he had his crash. he was scoring very well in Poland. The same league as Lambert was in. He gave Lambert a good run for his money in the British Final and had a few good meetings in the world u21 world finals beating good riders along the way. That crash he had last year has stopped the progress he was making, but if you have natural talent like he has, then I'm sure he will get over it.

• Like 2

I wasn’t able to watch this event live and just caught up this morning. Reading through the last 27 pages of comments at work has been highly entertaining. So well done to all involved. Not sure how Kenny Carter got shoe horned into the conversation though. My Thoughts:

Sometimes you just have to accept that something hasn’t worked and the SON is an example. No point trying to flog a dead horse. Just ditch it now. The Poles couldn’t be ar$ed with it in Wroclaw and there weren’t that many more there in Togliatti. 2-day speedway events just don’t work (Amsterdam 87?)

Just go back to the old style 4 team, 4 Rider WTC. Run both semis on the Saturday at different tracks in the same country and a Final on the Sunday. So in UK go KL, Poole & Belle Vue as an example. I wouldn’t guarantee the hosts a spot but if you had to make the event 5 team with 4 riders.

I just don’t buy the idea that the WTC was boring because Poland were so good. They are the top team but by no means unbeatable. They won 4 out of 8 WTC since it was re-hashed and 2 of them at home. Russia and Denmark would run them very close in a WTC and it would be far more interesting

GB. Got to sack Rossiter. I thought it might have been a mistake to take Bewley or A. Another due to his age but having seen just how bad Harris was then you might as well have taken me. Cook I think shouldn’t shoulder too much criticism. He tried his best and circumstances made him the number 1 when really he should have been in the pits making the tea  

Back to Russia for an SGP? FIM have never let a rubbish show of a track stop them before so it will probably get a SGP in 2020. I do think it was the perfect storm or a hot day, poor preparation and riders who didn’t know how to race the track

Final point. Poland. So glad that they messed up in heat 23 as I don’t for one minute believe that Magic was injured / poorly. That was tactical to bring Dudek in and it backfired because they bottle it big time in the final

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Terry said:

I think Chunky meant rounds like the Commonwealth and Inter-continental final where the top 11 qualified.

But to get to those meetings you had to qualify from the British Final :wink:. I'm sure i read somewhere, Chris Morton said it was the hardest meeting for him to qualify from. Maybe he meant the track was a bit too slick for his liking and not being that good from the gate he found it tougher.

I used to love the British finals of the 70's/80's. Great riders and brutal racing. It almost seems like a junior meeting now bar a few riders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grachan said:

I'm not a great fan of this competition. I think it has many flaws. On it's own, it's fine, but as a replacement for the World Cup it's a disaster. I remember some epic World Cups, with some amazing races. This just doesn't live up to it, and it's pretty clear it's been done to stop Poland dominating.

Could they not, at least, revert to the World Cup every 4 years? I hope that happens but I won't hold my breath.

I thought they were going to alternate between WTC & SON

I worried where next years final going to be, Russia won so is it Tolgiatti again?  If it is I demand a rerun of the meeting - you know, like Brexit, dont like the winner so we will run it again until the ones we want to win do. :D.

• Haha 1

Even if all our riders had remained fit I don't think we would have finished much higher up other than in front of Germany and closer to Sweden. We only have one world class rider in Woffenden and Lambert who hopefully is set to get there soon. After that there's a gap. Bomber can't mix it at this level any more and Cook I feel won't progress much further until he starts riding in Poland against the best on a regular basis. Spending half his time in the UK 2nd tier won't make him into a top class rider.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

i think you're being a little unfair on Bewley. Before he had his crash. he was scoring very well in Poland. The same league as Lambert was in. He gave Lambert a good run for his money in the British Final and had a few good meetings in the world u21 world finals beating good riders along the way. That crash he had last year has stopped the progress he was making, but if you have natural talent like he has, then I'm sure he will get over it.

apologies I am being a little unfair on Dan.I am a fan of him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, James Carter said:

I wasn’t able to watch this event live and just caught up this morning. Reading through the last 27 pages of comments at work has been highly entertaining. So well done to all involved. Not sure how Kenny Carter got shoe horned into the conversation though. My Thoughts:

Sometimes you just have to accept that something hasn’t worked and the SON is an example. No point trying to flog a dead horse. Just ditch it now. The Poles couldn’t be ar$ed with it in Wroclaw and there weren’t that many more there in Togliatti. 2-day speedway events just don’t work (Amsterdam 87?)

Just go back to the old style 4 team, 4 Rider WTC. Run both semis on the Saturday at different tracks in the same country and a Final on the Sunday. So in UK go KL, Poole & Belle Vue as an example. I wouldn’t guarantee the hosts a spot but if you had to make the event 5 team with 4 riders.

I just don’t buy the idea that the WTC was boring because Poland were so good. They are the top team but by no means unbeatable. They won 4 out of 8 WTC since it was re-hashed and 2 of them at home. Russia and Denmark would run them very close in a WTC and it would be far more interesting

GB. Got to sack Rossiter. I thought it might have been a mistake to take Bewley or A. Another due to his age but having seen just how bad Harris was then you might as well have taken me. Cook I think shouldn’t shoulder too much criticism. He tried his best and circumstances made him the number 1 when really he should have been in the pits making the tea  

Back to Russia for an SGP? FIM have never let a rubbish show of a track stop them before so it will probably get a SGP in 2020. I do think it was the perfect storm or a hot day, poor preparation and riders who didn’t know how to race the track

Final point. Poland. So glad that they messed up in heat 23 as I don’t for one minute believe that Magic was injured / poorly. That was tactical to bring Dudek in and it backfired because they bottle it big time in the final

Bit unfair on Magic  he took some knock on the shoulder and remember he has already missed half the season with a shoulder injury.Think he was looking pretty 2nd hand.Admittedly he didn’t look on the best of form though.

• Like 1