British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

And you may be missing a point. Some teams don’t have 3 strong riders to chose from. What nations in that situation need is development of young ones, so to help them develop young ones make it so they have the need to develop them. That where GB is lacking, the development of young ones, whereas Poland develops young ones. Hence the choice of team GB should, this year after Tai was ruled out, Cook and Lambert, with a developing under 21 at reserve, rather then keep Lambert at reserve knowing full well there would be a very strong chance he would be used a lot, with an old dog in the team.  We will see that next year, if all are fit it will be Tai and Robert with a developing rider at reserve.

So is it a World Championship, or a development/experience event for younger riders with potential?

• Like 2

Its a world championship, but with each country having to have a 21 (or under) year old as reserve that must have at least one ride. I have accepted that and ok with it. The competition will develop around that when countries/team managers see the need to have a good under 21 year old, and its something for under 21 years olds to aim for.

Obviously some supporters are not ok with that, thats ok.

12 hours ago, r8gdp said:

The meeting for me was a flop very very little team riding can only recall it happening once when dudek slowed the inside line down to wait for smarzlik to get round the outside oh and lambert waiting for Harris but with a different result. If the organisers want it to be a success give the riders a track where they can with confidence look for their team mate and ride as a team. If they go with having it in Russia again can see it being a flop again,for me polands the place most of the riders involved ride there regularly 

Honestly, way too much is made of the team riding aspect. Even though there was more in the old days, it certainly wasn't as prevalent as everyone seems to remember. That's why we remember it so well, because we can only recall particular riders and instances!

The problem at the weekend was that most teams were unbalanced. Zmarzlik and Dudek should have been more evenly matched, and so should Sayfutdinov and Laguta. Thing is, if you don't get out of the gate (or at least to the first turn) together, it makes it really difficult, particularly at a track like Togliatti. The best instance of team riding was when Doyle took one of the opponents wide (can't remember who it was), and made a gap for Fricke to come through.

Again, this is one of the problems with modern track surfaces along with modern superfast bikes which produce excessive wheelspin. Trying to slow down a race to allow your partner to catch up can be a very risky thing to attempt.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 7:18 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

WASN'T their best night, I agree, but commentating from a studio thousands of miles away will always be an issue.

Whereabouts is “thousands of miles away” then, Philip????

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

It’s only a guesstimate, but i reckon Belle Vue must be in with a good shout of holding the final in 2020.

The recent WorldU21 team cup at the NSS was way better than what was served up in Russia.Surely teams can get four riders and revert back to a proper World Cup.Nobody is interested in pairs events there is no team riding nowadays anyway.The daft idea of 2nd and 3rd being better than 1st is just rewarding failure.Finals imo should be winner take all.Both teams had two chances each of winning the grand final.

I've heard 3 places are being considered for next year. Riga, gustrow and belle vue 

1 hour ago, colin wood said:

The recent WorldU21 team cup at the NSS was way better than what was served up in Russia.Surely teams can get four riders and revert back to a proper World Cup.Nobody is interested in pairs events there is no team riding nowadays anyway.The daft idea of 2nd and 3rd being better than 1st is just rewarding failure.Finals imo should be winner take all.Both teams had two chances each of winning the grand final.

No they cant, thats why swc was scrapped for son.

Riga would be cool. 

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

No they cant, thats why swc was scrapped for son.

They could all get four riders but not as good as the Poles  ..so let's scrap it seems to be the reasoning.

3 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I've heard 3 places are being considered for next year. Riga, gustrow and belle vue 

Got to be Belle Vue. Helps provide entertaining and lets face it right now, Safe Speedway. All the riders i have heard say it is the best track in the World. So there, Makes sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

where did you hear that ?

9 hours ago, colin wood said:

They could all get four riders but not as good as the Poles  ..so let's scrap it seems to be the reasoning.

Who are they? PL, SE, DK and GB might do it but the rest cant and cant afford it financially. Thats why SWC was scrapped and SoN introduced. It’s one meeting less with a smaller number of people involved, you do the math.