British Speedway Forum
slater170

Howarth cleared to race

45 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

So was this a ACU or BSPA drug test or official WADA antidoping test?

I should imagine it was an ACU/SCB test- this is taken from the 2019 rule book

WORLD ANTI-DOPING AGENCY (WADA) The ACU (SCB) has adopted the WADA Code (www.wada-ama.org) under the auspices of the UK AntiDoping in Sport body (UKAD) and have granted jurisdiction in all cases arising under these WADA antidoping rules to the UKAD’s National Anti-Doping Agency including the Case management. UKAD Rules, Policies and Codes, including up to date Prohibition Lists are available on www.ukad.org.uk/resources/documents. To establish the status of “over the counter" and "prescription only" medicine visit the website www.globaldro.co.uk SCB ALCOHOL and DRUG TESTING In addition to Testing carried out by UKAD, which will fall under the scope of WADA, The SCB, pursuant to the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, that places a duty of care for Workplace health, safety and welfare, the SCB may order Drug and/or Alcohol Testing to take place before, during or after a Meeting of any Officials or riders. These tests (and the subsequent results and penalties) do not fall under the scope of the WADA. NB. Tests conducted by a UKAD DCO, under the scope of the WADA regulations will differ from those listed below and the DCO (Doping Control Officer (s) will explain the full approved procedure. TESTING PROCEDURES Riders and Officials may be balloted, nominated or selected for testing. These persons will be notified of a time and place to report to and may be accompanied by one other person. They will be required to prove identification by showing an acceptable document (Passport, Driving Licence (that includes a photo), an FMN Competition Licence or SCB Registration/ Licence. Person(s) conducting these tests, hereinafter referred to as the Testing Official, may be either the Meeting Referee, another SCB licensed Official specifically appointed by the SCB for this purpose or a representative of an SCB approved 3 rd Party Organisation. A suitable area, well away from the Pits Area, to avoid any possible influence of Methanol is recommended as a place to carry out the tests. For tests conducted by a UKAD DCO then the Officer (s) will explain the full procedure. Testing carried out by an SCB Official or nominated 3 rd Party will adhere to the following procedures; The Rider / Official will choose a sealed Breath test instrument ‘mouthpiece’ and drugs testing ‘device’ and under the direction of the Testing Official, will supply either or both: a) a sufficient quantity of breath to ensure that an Alcohol Test reading can be taken; repeating as necessary until such time as sufficient breath is provided, and/or b) the appropriate quantity of urine or saliva to enable the drug screening device to perform the test. Upon completion of the initial ‘screening’ test(s), the Rider / Official will be notified of the Result. If a breath alcohol test of anything but ‘0’, a second breath alcohol test will be required from the Rider / Official 15 minutes after the completion of the first test. If the second breath test result is above a reading of ‘4 µg/100ml’ (micrograms of alcohol per one hundred millilitres of breath), the Rider / Official will be immediately disqualified from the Meeting and reported to the SCB Co-ordinator. A saliva or urine alcohol test may also be used. If a drugs screening result displays ‘non-negative’, the same sample will be screened within a second device. If the second result is also ‘non-negative’, the sample will be packaged under Chain of Custody conditions and sent to the accredited Laboratory for Confirmatory Analysis. The Rider / Official will be immediately disqualified from the Meeting and reported to the SCB Co-ordinator. If the second screening result displays a ‘negative’ result, the same sample will be screened within a third device, the outcome of the third screening result will be final. If negative, no further action is required, if The Speedway Regulations 63 ‘non-negative the sample will be packaged under Chain of Custody conditions and sent to the accredited Laboratory for Confirmatory Analysis. The Rider / Official will be immediately disqualified from the Meeting and reported to the SCB Co-ordinator. In addition to the penalties outlined in these Regulations, the SCB may order further testing, at the defendant’s own expense. A Rider or Official who refuses to undertake testing shall automatically be disqualified from the Meeting and reported to the SCB Co-ordinator.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Howarth wasn't suspended either!

If you read the Sheffield match report it says he was temporarily suspended ?????  He didn't pass the test and we had a guest replacement for a suspended rider apparently as per the rules.!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigred said:

All 14 riders in every meeting SHOULD be tested.

Not if it's going to show up inconclusive results for pain meds that aren't on the banned list and see a bunch of riders kicked out the meeting when they have done nothing wrong. 

I'm still a little confused about the events here, though.

It suggested it was pain medication given to him almost a month ago. Was he still taking it recently? From info online (not guaranteed to be accurate) Codeine shouldn't normally show up in a test more than a few days after it was taken. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Not if it's going to show up inconclusive results for pain meds that aren't on the banned list and see a bunch of riders kicked out the meeting when they have done nothing wrong. 

I'm still a little confused about the events here, though.

It suggested it was pain medication given to him almost a month ago. Was he still taking it recently? From info online (not guaranteed to be accurate) Codeine shouldn't normally show up in a test more than a few days after it was taken. 

Bear in mind, he accepted the guest booking at short notice, so he may have had some a couple of days before, thinking that it wouldn't matter. 

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Feel for Kyle though Witcher, i wish nothing had been announced beforehand.It is for  Kyle to put it behind him and crack on in my opinion  there is no stain whatsoever on his character.

Don’t know what could have been said on the night as story had spread round stadium before it was announced tha,t Kyle Howarth wasn’t riding. All water under bridge; Kyle Howarth now free to race and resume his career  and Edinburgh 3 league points down. Here’s hoping team changes may produce a win away from home to get our season back on track. Maybe this serves as a wake up call to all riders to check what medication they use or are prescribed.

I have a lot of sympathy for Kyle for the situation he has been left in. Before I retired from working for London Underground I was twice prescribed drugs by doctors that were on the banned list for Safety Critical work. I told the doctors that I could not take anything that was on the list and they assured me that what I had been prescribed were not a problem for me. Thankfully I asked a lot of questions before taking them and was very glad I had as on the second occaision I was Drugs and Alcohol tested and would have failed which would have lost me my job. When I told the doctor he said that what I take is up to me but he had told me it was OK so I consider he was in the wrong but I could not convince him of that. I am very pleased that Kyle has been cleared of any wrong doing and hope this incident will act as a wake up call to all riders so they do not fall into the same trap.

• Like 1

Ice racing legend Per-Olof Serenius was caught using doping a few years back. The substance was part of his blood pressure medication, would have been no problem had he cleared it with a permission at the time of the test.

Had bugger all to do with improving HIS performance...

28 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Ice racing legend Per-Olof Serenius was caught using doping a few years back. The substance was part of his blood pressure medication, would have been no problem had he cleared it with a permission at the time of the test.

Had bugger all to do with improving HIS performance...

There are many remedies on the banned list which having nothing to do with improving performances.In Athletics you have to get exemption certificate if in any doubt.The onus lies with the competitor,so riders should be  not to complacent if in any doubt.